About the ads

spartan

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by avong, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. avong

avong

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I feel that the basic sciences at Spartan Medical School are really good. They provide an excellent training for the boards. In addition to this they have clinical rotations in many states with elective rotations in NY. After going through their website I felt that apart from stressing on academics they also engage the students in health fairs and blood donation camps and other fun activities to create a bonding among students.
    They also have fitness centre and recreation facilities like tennis courts, basketball courts, pool on campus.
  2. dragonfly99

dragonfly99

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This sounds like an ad for Spartan. Do you work there?
    I wouldn't recommend going to this school...if someone is planning on the Caribbean, I would go to one of the top 3 or 4 schools, that has a better track record and more recognized name in the US and Canada.
  3. Tigerz_Fan

Tigerz_Fan also known as Towanda!!!

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This is totally an ad for that school. Hopefully, this thread will be closed.
  4. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Spartan would probably be #10 out of all Caribbean medical schools

That means it is probably a bad idea for most people to attend.
  5. Tigerz_Fan

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Agreed.
  6. avong

avong

I want to take up admission in one of the Caribbean medical schools.I did some basic research on the net and I felt that the basic science programme at Spartan is interesting. I also spoke to my professors and they too gave me positive feedback. Moreover all these Caribbean medical schools have their positives and negatives. It all depends upon the hard work you have put in.
  7. kingalls

kingalls Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Positives and negatives? True, but it isn't a zero sum game and some schools (i.e. Spartan) are much weaker than the competition. As such, for the VAST majority of applicants, Spartan should be near the bottom of their Caribbean school wish list.
  8. sughosh

sughosh

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    My friend used to study in the Spartan Medical School. She was quite happy with it. She also feels that the college is constantly trying to improve itself by restructuring its courses.
  9. howelljolly

howelljolly

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thats nice.

Spartan U. has the lowest tuition in the Caribbean... and you get what you pay for.

They have been around for 20something years, and have not established themselves in that time. Theyve spent that time getting themselves into trouble.

Spartan can do electives in New York because ANY Carib school can do 12 weeks of rotations in NY. Spartan has been categorically denied the privilege of doing any more than 12 weeks in NY. Also, like any Carib school, getting said electives is up to you, in large part. While the school will generally negotiate the contracts and seats and schedule for your core rotations, electives depend on where - when - what you want, and if/where/how well you have done your cores... so read: Spartan, like ANY second or third tier Carib school gives you the chance to hunt for just 3 months of electives in New York yourself.

As far as core rotations, I'd venture a guess that they do not have many options in location. Spartan U does not require the USMLE Step1 in order to start 3rd year. Many students complete all 4 years and take the Step1 and 2 afterwards (as most FMGs from europe and asia do). So, having few students who are qualified for rotations in most teaching hospitals around the US, Spartan probably doesnt hold many contracts with US teaching hospitals.

Spartan U. is specifically blacklisted in multiple states. Meaning, that allthough the WHO recognizes Spartan as a medical school, individual US states do not recognize their MD degree. This is because over the long history of the school there have been multiple shortcomings. Also, there were a number of incidents where a Spartan student or graduate injured or killed a patient. So, Spartan grads may not do residency or practice in those states.

So.... be careful.

Read this...
    http://www.newmediamedicine.com/for...nts/2036-spartan-medical-school-st-lucia.html
  10. gwendolene

gwendolene

I would have liked to agree to all your points. However, I have to differ on many of them. As what you say is on the basis of things you have heard from some third party or read ages back.

Although the college reputation was maligned after certain unwanted incidences in the college but now it is back on track and doing good. It has better pedagogy now. The exposure it provides is better than before.

And I say all of this as I am an alumnus of the college.
    gwendolene
    gwendolene
  11. Tigerz_Fan

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This post is totally bogus!

The posters are absolutely on the school's payroll.

To anyone else out there, DO NOT go to this school! It is not on the "California list" for licensing. Many states are now adopting this list, and finding a job as a graduate from this school will be increasingly difficult.

Trying to find a job with their degree will be like this:
    :beat:

I'll post this in the other thread and also forward to the mods.
  12. yaah

yaah Boring Administrator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    Somehow I suspect that a school that advertises (unsubtlely) on internet forums, and does so with broken english and poor grammar just MIGHT need a little bit of a wary eye from the applicant.

Have banned the three accounts that were being used solely for advertising, and deleted the other thread.