Special Circumstances for low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kfarina44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering how much podiatry schools take into account special circumstances and if so how to include that into your application/personal statement. I will be applying to podiatry school in August so I would love to figure this information out as soon as possible.

Some background information on the special circumstances and how it has affected my gpa:
-The second semester of my freshman year I was diagnosed with genetic generalized epilepsy.
-I was put on to 5 AED's over the course of my undergraduate years with the last and final one working for me just my second semester of my junior year.
-My seizures got so disruptive at one point, I withdrew from a semester of school.
-When I withdrew from the semester of school, my seizures were so frequent I was sometimes having 3 a day.
-Now I am on 8 months seizure free.
-My GPA is 2.9 and my sGPA is 2.8 with many hours of volunteering and two semesters of independent research in developmental genetics.
-Both of these GPA's have a strong upward trend due to my successful medication and control over my epilepsy.
I am worried that if I mention this that it will negatively impact my chances because it is a neurological condition, however it plays a huge part in why my gpa was so low. Please give my honest advice I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just be honest about your situation and admissions will understand. Your GPA's are low so keep working hard.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Should I include it in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your story reminds me of one of my close friends in school. She did not have a good g.p.a and she too has a medical condition. And yes during the interview process they did question her abilities to handle medical school and of course behind this, to be able to treat others. She handled the questioning very well in the sense that it will only impact you negatively if you make it so. Show them how strong your medical condition has made you, 8 months seizure free thats amazing!

In conclusion make sure to do well on your mcats and I would consider including this in your personal statement. It is the only time before they consider you for an interview that you can explain this is the reason for your low grades. Also call them! Let them know. I know in my school you can call admission and speak directly to the dean admission on the phone! Good luck!

Your story reminds me of one of my close friends in school. She did not have a good g.p.a and she too has a medical condition. And yes during the interview process they did question her abilities to handle medical school and of course behind this, to be able to treat others. She handled the questioning very well in the sense that it will only impact you negatively if you make it so. Show them how strong your medical condition has made you, 8 months seizure free thats amazing!

In conclusion make sure to do well on your mcats and I would consider including this in your personal statement. It is the only time before they consider you for an interview that you can explain this is the reason for your low grades. Also call them! Let them know. I know in my school you can call admission and speak directly to the dean admission on the phone! Good luck!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice!

Also what podiatry school are you currently enrolled in?