Special Masters Programs (Pre Dental)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay20155555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any RECENT experience in any good/bad special masters programs that either got them into dental school or claimed to help? All of the topics that I found on here are several years old and I wanted to get a fresh idea of what some really good programs were to boost GPA and just over all help students get into dental school

Members don't see this ad.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/non-thesis/

I'm in my second and final semester at Iowa State right now. It boosted my GPA and definitely helped me get accepted to my top school! Great OOS tuition too ($21,000 I believe)!

if you dont mind me asking, could you tell me your undergrad gpa and dat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually applying there right now. Do you mind telling me your under grad stats, and DAT score? Also have you applied to dental school yet or are you applying this cycle?

Is it common for a lot of the Dental Scholars students to be taking courses with D1 students?

I'm not sure with other programs, as I only applied to the one at Rutgers. Certain dental courses will only be available with special permission to 5-10 MBS students. There has always been one dental course out of the ones offered that has a much larger enrollment, and will generally accommodate the dental scholars that are interested. The scheduling is fairly flexible, and you can finish the program in as much or as little time as you desire. I'm completing the program in two semesters and have been able to fill my 30 credits with a mixture of required courses, dental courses, electives, and research.

Thanks for your response. Do you know how difficult it was to attain special permission for the 5-10? Also, how well do you feel that this MBS, at Rutgers that is, improved your odds for matriculation into a dental program?

You're welcome, I'm happy to help! I have only taken the dental courses that had a large enrollment, but I did have to ask permission for one of my electives. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same process, but I had to email the professor a list of prior courses that I had taken that were relevant to the elective in order to prove that I would be able to handle the material. The program was brought up in all of my interviews and I received an acceptance, so I do think that the program helped.

That's great! Congrats on your acceptance! How many pre-dentals are in your program? Also, how is the difficulty of the program compared to upper division sciences of undergrad (biochem, org, molecular bio etc.)?

Thank you very much! I'm not exactly sure of how many there are in the program, but it is not a small program. I'd say that the classes are as difficult as you make them. Most of the classes that I've taken have only had two exams, with each one being worth 50% of your grade. You should be able to do well if you have good study habits and are willing to put the time in to get good grades. I wanted to prove to dental schools that I could handle the work, so I threw everything I had at all of my classes.

I am surprised to hear that there are many pre-dentals in the program and that such courses would be only midterm and final. But I suppose that is the real test of ones knowledge. Was there ample amount of volunteer and shadowing opportunities through the school?

I am actually applying there right now. Do you mind telling me your under grad stats, and DAT score? Also have you applied to dental school yet or are you applying this cycle?

My undergrad gpa was around a 3.3 and my DAT was 21. I have applied to dental school and have been accepted into two so far and waitlisted for others. So if you really put a lot of hard work and effort into one of these programs you will have a very good chance of getting in.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/non-thesis/

I'm in my second and final semester at Iowa State right now. It boosted my GPA and definitely helped me get accepted to my top school! Great OOS tuition too ($21,000 I believe)!
My undergrad gpa was around a 3.3 and my DAT was 21. I have applied to dental school and have been accepted into two so far and waitlisted for others. So if you really put a lot of hard work and effort into one of these programs you will have a very good chance of getting in.
Do you know if we can take the program and apply to dental schools that year? Would the grades I receive from the Master's program be effective?

Is it generally a good idea to apply to dental schools while enrolled in the SMP (assuming DAT is taken care of)? Or do most people apply after graduating the SMP?

Do you know if we can take the program and apply to dental schools that year? Would the grades I receive from the Master's program be effective?
Is it generally a good idea to apply to dental schools while enrolled in the SMP (assuming DAT is taken care of)? Or do most people apply after graduating the SMP?

They generally tell you to wait until you finish the program completely, but some people apply while completing the program and still get in. The choice is really up to the person, if you have the time and budget to complete the applications and supplementals then you have nothing to lose by applying

They generally tell you to wait until you finish the program completely, but some people apply while completing the program and still get in. The choice is really up to the person, if you have the time and budget to complete the applications and supplementals then you have nothing to lose by applying
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user