Specialization in Sweden/how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I am a 6th year medical student in Serbia and i want to continue with my specialization in Sweden. I tryed to gather information, but I couldn't find any specific, though, in the internet(quite confusing), about the requirements(exams,language,e.t.c.) and steps for the entrance.
Can anybody guide me on this/or provide any kind of helpfull information?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Midas!

Im a swedish graduate workin currently in Karlstad, western sweden. This is how I think it works: First of all you will have to learn swedish, probably, this will be your greatest obstacle....once you have learnt how to speak swedish you will be required to pass an exam to prove you have the medical knowledge to practice here...however I dont think it will be that difficult or much questions on peripheral issues..once you have passed this exam it is up to you to find a hospital willing to offer you an ST-position (residency).
I think you will find more in depht information on http://www.sos.se/hs/bu/eu/eng2.htm

Hope this helped you out!
A

Thank you very much AndersOlsson for your reply to my message. It was helpful, really, up to the starting point (in which i am). For your and/or other's information the particular internet site provides a general review of the Swedish laws in that subject' It gives you the information that you must further define in detail and of course, that is a great basis for the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, i am a 5th year medical student in Portugal.

i would like to start my residency in Sweden, after I finish the 6th year, but I have some questions that I couldn't get answered:

1 - we have the equivalent of the swedish AT-exam at the end of the 6th year - would I have the equivalence?

2 - i still didn't quite understand how the specialty works in Sweden. Do we have to build a curriculum to get in a specialty? In Portugal we get in according to the grades of the exam above-mentionned.

3 - If i get in a specialty in Portugal, could I just transfer to the same specialty in Sweden after one year or would I have to "build the curriculum"?

4 - last but not least - about the language. I started to learn Swedish from the internet and I believe I am making pretty good progress. But I know we have to prove our abilities in swedish. Will it be a written and oral exam? I heard the Swedish Health welfare pays international doctors a Swedish course, where can I get info on that?

Thank you very much! i am a bit lost, i already sent e-mails to all the contacts I could get and still no answer, I guess I'll have to start taking up the telephone...

Hey there,

I'm assuming you're an EU citizen, in which case you DON'T have to take any language exam. You will be evaluated during the interview.

1) No, it's not. The Swedish AT is actually a bit different from the continental European 6th year. So you will have to do the whole AT program.

2) Basically you're evaluated during the AT program and you might or might not (most probably will) take an exam at the end of the AT program that will determine which specialty you'll get into.

3) If you finish your specialty training in Portugal, you will definitely have an advantage of getting in as EU residencies are usually accepted throughout EU. But you still might have to take a few additional courses.

4) Regarding the language, you will at some point, need to go to Sweden and enroll in an university for this as the level of Swedish they expect is quite high. In addition to the regular Swedish courses, you will also need to take Medical Swedish courses. But remember that if you're an EU citizen, you will not need to take the Swedish exam (it's only for non-EU citizens.)

Do check out the following link: http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/english/applicationforswedishlicense

Good luck!

Is the american MD degree recognized in sweden?

No, it's not. You will most probably need to take a medical knowledge exam (in Swedish.)

Thank you very much for your help, shreypete!

cheers

I am currently doing my internship rotation in India. I have completed my undergraduate studies and at the end on 1 year of my internship shall be granted my bachelors degree in medicine and surgery(MB BS)in march 2011. I wish to pursue surgery as my speciality and would be grateful if I could get some information on the availability and application process for the same in sweden. I am willing to learn the language and have already learnt a different regional language during my undergraduate program. does everyone have to sit for the AT exam?n can i learn swedish once i get there?i have family in sweden,will that help me in any way?

Yes, everyone has to sit the AT exam. Of course, they might make some exceptions if one already has a postgraduate degree from his/her country but this is usually rare.

You first have to learn Swedish for 1-2 years before you can actually apply for the AT program. So yes, you will have to move to Sweden to learn the language (as many countries don't offer higher levels of Swedish or any other Nordic language for that matter of fact.) Having family there certainly helps because you can stay with them for some time (that will cut down your dormitory/apartment expenses.)

Hi,
I'm in almost the same situation- am originally from a non-Eu country and will soon graduate from Romania and i want to do my internship and specialize in Sweden.
See this website: http://www.socialstyrelsen.se
I would really really appreciate more info abt this please!!

Yes, everyone has to sit the AT exam. Of course, they might make some exceptions if one already has a postgraduate degree from his/her country but this is usually rare.

You first have to learn Swedish for 1-2 years before you can actually apply for the AT program. So yes, you will have to move to Sweden to learn the language (as many countries don't offer higher levels of Swedish or any other Nordic language for that matter of fact.) Having family there certainly helps because you can stay with them for some time (that will cut down your dormitory/apartment expenses.)

Does the AT exam mean a medical assessment exam in swedish? I searched it on the net but could not find...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the AT exam is in Swedish and is taken by everyone who does the program. It's used to place candidates in a residency program.

Hey Shreypete,
I am medical student( 4 year ) from the EU country and I would like to come to Sweden after finishing my studies. Is it possible to do my internship in Sweden? If it is, what should I do before finishing my studies. Thank you so much for your help.

Yes, the AT exam is in Swedish and is taken by everyone who does the program. It's used to place candidates in a residency program.

I checked the website but they don't say anything about learning swedish before or about the AT exam. Instead it's written that they have different institutions giving swedish language courses. Can it be possible that i apply for license to practice in Sweden first, and if i get a positive response from them i can study for the AT exam there?
There is also a page about application information but it's in swedish, can anybody help me with that plz..
And do you know when is the intake? When are we supposed to apply?
Thanks!

Yes, you may apply for a license first (if you can get someone who understands Swedish to help you fill out the application forms) and learn Swedish if you do receive a positive response.

I'm not so sure about the application dates. It's usually posted on the website or the application form.

Yes, you may apply for a license first (if you can get someone who understands Swedish to help you fill out the application forms) and learn Swedish if you do receive a positive response.

I'm not so sure about the application dates. It's usually posted on the website or the application form.

I didn't see any application dates, maybe it's not out yet..
Thanks!

Perhaps it would be best to contact the guys and find out the dates firsthand.

This is not true. The test is just a pass or fail and does not determine what residency program you can apply for, they won't even look at your scores. In Sweden it is solely experience (clinical and research) that matters, and this is mainly for the popular university hospitals. For hospita in more rural places, there is a doctor shortage and therefore you might get a residency immediately without any specific experience, or you'll have to work for some month and then enter a residency program. This is for Swedish graduates, the foreign medical graduates will probably have to gain more clinical experience to be familiar with the Swedish system.

Shreypete to the rescue as always !

Guys, I read an article in the daily Metro newspaper here in Moscow, it says that Education in Sweden was in English language thus encouraging Russians to pursue tertiary education there.

With this in mind, I'd like to apply for my Surgical Residency there after graduating this summer(next July). Was reading this site http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/ about requirements and such.

Hearing about the AT language exam had a dampening effect on me. I was hoping Svenska was similar to Russian, boy was I wrong. I can't be taking a year off to pick up another language, time and cost is a factor which I can't waste 1 year doing.

How's the pay like in Sweden for interns ? How long is the Residency program ? How viable is it to do NeuroSurgery there in Sweden ?

More importantly, can I meet Henrik Larsson ? ;)

Thanking in advance.

The residents do get paid quite well (considering the taxes and cost of living is quite high.) However, getting into Neurosurgery would really be out of the question. Getting into a residency program in general isn't going to be a piece of cake.

Good luck! and yeah meeting Henrik Larsson is probably a little less harder that getting into a residency program lol (although you would have to be in the same city or something.)

More importantly, can I meet Henrik Larsson ? ;) Of course :)

Guys, I read an article in the daily Metro newspaper here in Moscow, it says that Education in Sweden was in English language thus encouraging Russians to pursue tertiary education there.

Medicine is taught in Swedish, even though some lectures are held in English.

How's the pay like in Sweden for interns ? How long is the Residency program ? How viable is it to do NeuroSurgery there in Sweden ?

Salaries ranging from 3500-4800/month euro during residency (depending on specialty and location, being highest for those doing residency in family practice/general practice, and lowest in the big cities and popular specialities such as neurosurgery etc). All residency program is 5 year, no matter if it is family medicine or neurosurgery. Neurosurgery requires research and that you've been working on the department for some years, but far from impossible to match.

Russian press spreading half-truths ? Nothing new there.
Damn it, just when I thought Sweden would be a viable entry into the prestigious EU. Looks like it's back to the ol' drawing board for me.

I don't mind doing a entry level qualifying exam as long it's in English or something close to it. Picking up a new language just isn't feasible for me but I've gotta say, the $3500 euros per month is kinda attractive. That kind of money back in Malaysia is impossible for those working in the Govt. as medical practitioners. Hence they opt for private practice which has become a norm there. I ain't joining ranks with them.

Anyhow, does anyone know another path into EU for a Russian grad with good command in English ?
Help me O-Shrey-pete, you are my only hope.

Russian press spreading half-truths ? Nothing new there.
Damn it, just when I thought Sweden would be a viable entry into the prestigious EU. Looks like it's back to the ol' drawing board for me.

I don't mind doing a entry level qualifying exam as long it's in English or something close to it. Picking up a new language just isn't feasible for me but I've gotta say, the $3500 euros per month is kinda attractive. That kind of money back in Malaysia is impossible for those working in the Govt. as medical practitioners. Hence they opt for private practice which has become a norm there. I ain't joining ranks with them.

Anyhow, does anyone know another path into EU for a Russian grad with good command in English ?
Help me O-Shrey-pete, you are my only hope.

Try Ireland or UK. That would be your best bet I think. In Sweden, you must be understood in Swedish.. but you can get help and I think you can get free education in Swedish, not sure though.

Regarding the UK and how they look at FMG/IMG I don't know, I do know about several Karolinska Institute alumns who are working in UK right now, and they have had no problem getting into residency or working as a consultant.

Good luck! :)

Try Ireland or UK. That would be your best bet I think. In Sweden, you must be understood in Swedish.. but you can get help and I think you can get free education in Swedish, not sure though.

Regarding the UK and how they look at FMG/IMG I don't know, I do know about several Karolinska Institute alumns who are working in UK right now, and they have had no problem getting into residency or working as a consultant.

Good luck! :)

Ireland and the UK would be the place to go, but FMG don't have it easy there since UK graduates hold priority over the spots available. It is extremely hard if you're FMG and if you don't have a EU citizenship.

Hi,
Does anyone know how much time does it take to receive the license from the socialstyrelsen?
I'm in a quite stressful situation right now as Im not an EU citizen and my visa will expire in a month in the EUcountry that i am in at the moment, after which i should leave for another 3 months to a non-EU country before i can come back to europe again with a 3months tourist visa. It's frustrating but what can i do :(
Anyway, my next question is: when i do get the license, can i go to sweden and look for a job there? Does this also provide me with some quite of visa on the grounds of being a qualified doctor to work in Sweden?
Also, Im not sure to send my documents to the socialstyrelsen by post or to go to stockholm in person? does it make any difference?

Hi,
Does anyone know how much time does it take to receive the license from the socialstyrelsen?
I'm in a quite stressful situation right now as Im not an EU citizen and my visa will expire in a month in the EUcountry that i am in at the moment, after which i should leave for another 3 months to a non-EU country before i can come back to europe again with a 3months tourist visa. It's frustrating but what can i do :(
Anyway, my next question is: when i do get the license, can i go to sweden and look for a job there? Does this also provide me with some quite of visa on the grounds of being a qualified doctor to work in Sweden?
Also, Im not sure to send my documents to the socialstyrelsen by post or to go to stockholm in person? does it make any difference?

Yes, you can get a license to practice in Sweden as long as you pass the required exams (that by the way are in Swedish, so you have to know the language pretty well).
Will you get a job ?... Probably not, I think it is stated somewhere in this threat, that if you're a non-EU citizen (or resident), you will have some difficulty getting a job. The EU-citizens have priority over any jobs, and the hospitals (or whatever employee) has to prove that they can't fill the position that you want with a EU-citizen (which will be unlikely, but not impossible). About the visa, the truth is that hospitals will always try to fill their positions with EU-citizens, and unless you're outstanding they will probably not even bother to fill an application for a visa (requires more work than hiring a local). If you hold a Non-EU diploma, then your changes to get a job there become slimmer. The Key point here is: It will be very hard but not impossible.

I don't really know the answer for your first question, hopefully some else can help on that.

hi there shreypete,
i m kind of curious wht is at exam about?..wht does it stand for?..i m also doing my mbbs but in chain,will be finsihing i 2011..about specialzation in sweden,do v really have learn the lanuauge there ?...i m really sorry if i m aski so many questions from u ...i also wanna know that can v do house job in other countries or do v have do bck in our homeland ?...really appreciate it if i can get some reply from u asap..thank u !:)

hi, iam oral & maxillofacial surgeon from india. i have 4 years of experience and want to join in residency programme in sweden or germany. is my desire possible? as far what i know is for any residency programme you have to give AT exams. where will be that exams and in which language. some one said if you have done your masters the exam will be excluded in criteria. can some one help me regarding the above pls, please, pls.:sleep::confused::confused::confused:

hey there im a medical student from lebanon.. im in my second year and i want to know abt residency in sweden because if it is appropriate ill might start studying the language from now..what is the AT exam? how can i know more about it? and if i passed this exam whats the next step? thank you :)

hey im a medical student in lebanon..im in my second year..wanted to know more abt the residency in Sweden..how to get in? what is the AT exam? does it specify which residency i should take or its a fail or pass exam? whats the step after passing the exam? if its appropriate ill just might start learning swedish this summer have an early start!! thank you:):)

Hi Midas!

Im a swedish graduate workin currently in Karlstad, western sweden. This is how I think it works: First of all you will have to learn swedish, probably, this will be your greatest obstacle....once you have learnt how to speak swedish you will be required to pass an exam to prove you have the medical knowledge to practice here...however I dont think it will be that difficult or much questions on peripheral issues..once you have passed this exam it is up to you to find a hospital willing to offer you an ST-position (residency).
I think you will find more in depht information on http://www.sos.se/hs/bu/eu/eng2.htm

A
the exam am supposed to pass is TULE right ? and if it is do i take in swedish language or english cuz that is an huge thing for me thanks for your help :)

the exam am supposed to pass is TULE right ? and if it is do i take in swedish language or english cuz that is an huge thing for me thanks for your help :)

TULE is written entirely in Swedish.

hey, shreypete. It looks like you turned off PM. Could you be so kind and asnwer my question. I would like to know what are requirements for studying internship in Sweden? I found out that there are some special language classes for immigrants, I should speak Swedish at least B1 level, there is AT exam.. But I don't whether I should pay for internship?
I am 4th year course medical student and EU citizen.

Can anyone give me please Swedish medical council link? Couldnt find myself..
Thanks for any advices!

http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/appli...seeea/additionalinformation/medicalinternship - is it correct site?

Last edited:
After contacting many dept. in Sweden this is what I got:

EU Students(not necessarily citizens): Language training is optional but best to do it(1 year)->Then starts internship or AT for 18 months(3000 EUR/month) and after that AT exam->you get license to practice->Then ST or AKA residency(4years)

Non EU Students-Language training(optional)->Language test at level B standards->optional TULE exam training(6 months to 1 year)->TULE exam on Surgery, Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, Gynecology and Psychiatry. 40 qs each, 65% pass marks and then 2 days of practical evaluation. You have 3 chances and have to repass only subjects you failed->18 months of AT->AT exam->Minor courses on Swedish medical law etc.->License->ST

I want to ask something about cardiology residency in belgium (preferably dutch part),spain,sweden, italy and germany. since i m a non-EU 5th yr med student in ukraine.. i will graduate next yr june

1. For cardiology, how long is the residency?
2. for cardiology, which university or hospital that I should apply for medical residency?
3. what are the requirements? as i am ready to fulfill any
4. is it easy to get into the system?
4. do i get paid in the course of doing my residency?
5.what are my chances as a medical student(graduate) from ukraine.
6. after my graduation next yr, can i immediately put in for the residency or do they require any level of experience?

kindly help guys..

Hi,
Since you are studying in a non-EU country you will have to do the TULE exam for sweden. That is you will have to learn swedish and have the medical exam in swedish here. It's caried out twice a year.
Then you will have to do the internship here which is called 'AT utbildning'. This lasts for two years and you do your internship in different specialities.
After this AT utbildning you will have an exam. Then you can apply for residency in cardiology. I don't know what hospitals to recommend you, university hospitals are the best to be able to learn lot.
Yes you will get paid both for the internship and the residency.

I want to ask something about cardiology residency in belgium (preferably dutch part),spain,sweden, italy and germany. since i m a non-EU 5th yr med student in ukraine.. i will graduate next yr june

1. For cardiology, how long is the residency?
2. for cardiology, which university or hospital that I should apply for medical residency?
3. what are the requirements? as i am ready to fulfill any
4. is it easy to get into the system?
4. do i get paid in the course of doing my residency?
5.what are my chances as a medical student(graduate) from ukraine.
6. after my graduation next yr, can i immediately put in for the residency or do they require any level of experience?

kindly help guys..

Hi, It doesnt matterif you are EU citizen or not. But if you studied in an EU country you can apply for license directly at Socialstyrelsen then apply for residency. Then you will not have AT in Sweden. Instead you will start directly with residency if you get accepted. THe problem with that is that you will not know the Swedish system.
I recently read in läkartidningen (magazine for doctors) that medical students from EU countries will be allowed to do there summer practice i Sweden. So thats a way to familiarise yourself with the swedish medical system. Try to fnd out about it. Of course you need to know the language very well. B1 level is the requirement but it is definitely not enough when you work. You need to learn medical swedish as well. THere are coursescalled SFI here, but they are usually not intensive enough and if will take lots of time to learn from that. THere are courses at Folkuniversitetet but you will have to pay quite a lot. You can start with 'Rosetta Stone' software first. Will give you a good basis and it costs much less.

hey, shreypete. It looks like you turned off PM. Could you be so kind and asnwer my question. I would like to know what are requirements for studying internship in Sweden? I found out that there are some special language classes for immigrants, I should speak Swedish at least B1 level, there is AT exam.. But I don't whether I should pay for internship?
I am 4th year course medical student and EU citizen.

Can anyone give me please Swedish medical council link? Couldnt find myself..
Thanks for any advices!

http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/appli...seeea/additionalinformation/medicalinternship - is it correct site?

Hi, I've graduated recently in Czech republic and I am from Slovakia. As an EU citizen with diploma recieved in a member state, should I apply for an AT (1) or should I directly ask for license(2). I've read that (1) is paid internship. The salary? Or did I misunderstand and it means that I have to pay some monthly fee for education or smthing? (2) If I apply for license. How long it takes to get it? After getting it, is http://jobb.lakartidningen.se/ the main option for finding ST-residency? Are there any recruiting companies in Sweden, for yet non-specialized doctors?

Last edited:
it's so great reading this and watching people from all over the world helping each others .

Hi Midas!

A

Hello guys,i am non EU national but just recently finished my M.D from Romania.
Now i want to do postgraduation in scandinavian countries preferably in Norway or Sweden..So anyone can guide me that do they require just language or work experience or any exam
I heard that in Sweden after getting registered with the medical board(socialstyrelsen) they are going to arrange the language course free of cost...is this true?
Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Hello :) I am an EU citizen and currently doing my medical studies in Poland. I am very interested in moving to Sweden (with my bf, who is also Swedish studying in the same school). How difficult would it be for me to do residency and what steps do I need to take?

I am also interested in Surgery, how difficult would it be for me to get that position?

I also have been learning Swedish, I am not fluent yet but I can usually hold a conversation.

Thanks!

Hello i am a non EU Doctor . I have just graduated from school. I want to ask about psychiatry residency in Sweden. I know procedures. Learn Swedish, get Tule, do internship (18 months-paid), get license and apply for jobs (läkaretidningen ) , get interviews.

But what is the reality ? Is it so much challenging specialty? During the interviews what they are looking for? Is it my language skill or my point at tule exam or are they looking for any publication or research experience about psychiatry?

Tack så mycket :)

madmaxfax:
I believe omfs in sweden requires a degree in medicine, not dentistry.

Hello i am finishing 6th year of Medicine in Bulgaria.
1) Interested in Psychoanalysis specialization in Sweden.
2) Also would like to add Neurology before i start Psychiatry.
3) What is the course required to reach Pshychoanalyst? (eg. 2 yr AT, 4-5 yrs Neurology, 4-5 yrs psychiatry, yrs in psychoanalysis?)
4) Is there a possibility of doing two specialties the same time( eg. Neurology-Psychiatry, and then Psychotherapy-Psychoanalysis) ?
5) Would you reccomend me a hospital in Sweden to apply regarding my criteria?
Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Hi,
Since you are studying in a non-EU country you will have to do the TULE exam for sweden. That is you will have to learn swedish and have the medical exam in swedish here. It's caried out twice a year.
Then you will have to do the internship here which is called 'AT utbildning'. This lasts for two years and you do your internship in different specialities.
After this AT utbildning you will have an exam. Then you can apply for residency in cardiology. I don't know what hospitals to recommend you, university hospitals are the best to be able to learn lot.
Yes you will get paid both for the internship and the residency.

Hi! Yes Ive heard of that exam. I think Socialstyrelsen suggested we take this exam in Umea University, am I right?
Btw, my question to any one of you helpful souls out there! Socialstyrelsen have sent me their 'decision' letter, saying that they are reviewing my documents and that I should start studying Swedish NOW. But how legit are they? I mean will I even get a place in their register? I dont want to start studying the language then only end up getting my application declined and waste my time studying a language that i do not need. Also are you serious about non EU citizens getting it harder than others to get a job at the hospital? :( I am actually looking forward to working in Sweden since doctors are in demand there.

Any advises from yall who's succeeded in this route? Thanks in advance