specializing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the career for a pharmacist who specializes in oncology is like. How much patient interaction is there and how involved are they in the decision for the treatments that the patient will receive. I want to be active in the decision process and am wondering if this or an oncologist would be the better career choice. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it probably highly depends on what hospital you would be working at. Some have really involved pharmacists and others don't. If this is something you are interested in, you could specifically seek out a position at a hospital where pharmacists are more actively involved in treatment. (St. Jude's for example)

It also completely depends on what aspect of patient care you want to be involved in. Usually if you prove yourself and gain physician's trust they will allow you to do more. If you want to be working on therapy regimins then go into pharmacy but if you want to diagnose just be an oncologist. Pharmacy school will be a shorter program (pending you don't graduate with a BS) but then to be an oncology pharmacist i think a residency is absolutely necessary which could run 1-2 years (i have no idea how long they are now and if they would be longer or shorter in the future).
You're looking post undergrad work for pharmacy at 6 years
and in med school 5000.. (ok so not really but i don't know how long it is).

good luck

agree with the above that it depends what level of care you want to be involved with. Also it depends on your personality. It depends how much you're willing to speak up and be heard as a clinical pharmacist. I can give you a run down of the training process for Hem-Onc..

Undergrad degree- 4 years
Medical school-4 years
Internal medicine residency-3 years
Hematology-Oncology fellowship-3 years

The route to doing the clinical pharmacy route would be signicantly shorter, but you really just need to think about what you are looking for from hem-onc.. Best of luck..