USMLE Specialties shut out with a 241 step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabbithunter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an US allopathic student exploring residency options with this score. What residency(s) should I not consider because it will be considered "low" chance?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am an US allopathic student exploring residency options with this score. What residency(s) should I not consider because it will be considered "low" chance?
Thanks

Consider all of them. 240 and above plus great clinical grades and significant research in the field of your choice puts you in a very good position for just about any residency program.

Reactions: 1 users
Consider all of them. 240 and above plus great clinical grades and significant research in the field of your choice puts you in a very good position for just about any residency program.

even poor preclinical grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lists on the internet that provide a ranking of what are important to the different types of residencies. For example, in EM the audition rotation is huge.

Thanks
I'd say ENT and plastics are an uphill battle because they require connections and their average step score last year was 250. Still possible, but you better have a ton of research and excellent evals. Everything else seems to have a decent chance as long as you're smart about it.

I'd say ENT and plastics are an uphill battle because they require connections and their average step score last year was 250. Still possible, but you better have a ton of research and excellent evals. Everything else seems to have a decent chance as long as you're smart about it.

add derm to that list bud

Where did you specifically find this average step score for the specialties? Latest thing i can find is charting outcomes for 2014. cant find anything on 2015

Nothing is completely excluded but that score is on average for the most competitive specialties. Research and connections will help you for those residency spots.

Reactions: 1 user