specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year here..confused as hell about what I want to end up in (I know, I feel like I should have an idea by now). Anyone out there who had a similar experience willing to PM me about how they ended up doing what they chose? I really like surgery but I also like clinical floor work...What specialities should I consider looking into if I want a mix of both? 570 on comlex, 232 on step 1.

thanks and sorry if there are already forums on this I just made an acct

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year here..confused as hell about what I want to end up in (I know, I feel like I should have an idea by now). Anyone out there who had a similar experience willing to PM me about how they ended up doing what they chose? I really like surgery but I also like clinical floor work...What specialities should I consider looking into if I want a mix of both? 570 on comlex, 232 on step 1.

thanks and sorry if there are already forums on this I just made an acct

It's still early in the game, so I wouldn't worry too much about it "being late". What rotations have you done so far? I know you mentioned that you like surgery, but what about surgery do you like (e.g., being in the OR or operating or the procedural aspect?). By floor work, do you mean managing patients that have been operated on? Do you enjoy clinic work?

Your scores are middle of the road, it may be challenging if you find yourself falling in love with the surgical subspecialties. ENT, urology, ophthalmology, which all have a great balance of surgery and clinic if that's what you find enjoyable. I would advise getting in touch with the departments or seeing if you can do rotations in these fields to get your feet wet a bit. If find them enjoyable, you have to get involved in research (to compensate for your board scores and for being a DO applicant) and make connections. Good luck!

Thanks for getting back to me.

In terms of surgery, I like being in the OR, even if its just small procedural work. So far I have just had IM and surgery. I like seeing patients and following up on them but I also enjoy more hands on stuff. My scores are pretty average so I'm not sure what I would be able to get into. I like medicine, but I do need to mix it up a bit. For DO students we have to set up auditions soon and I feel by that time I'm going to just be choosing stuff randomly that im not 100% set on. I do have some research experience and waiting on getting my papers published. I know for sure I can't commit to general surgery just based on lifestyle. Aghhhh you can probably tell I have no idea what I'm talking about! I feel like one day it's something like surgery the next day it's EM and last month it was something else! Hahaha.

Ultimately I have to make the decision but hearing from others is great! I really appreciate you getting back to me though, very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for getting back to me.

In terms of surgery, I like being in the OR, even if its just small procedural work. So far I have just had IM and surgery. I like seeing patients and following up on them but I also enjoy more hands on stuff. My scores are pretty average so I'm not sure what I would be able to get into. I like medicine, but I do need to mix it up a bit. For DO students we have to set up auditions soon and I feel by that time I'm going to just be choosing stuff randomly that im not 100% set on. I do have some research experience and waiting on getting my papers published. I know for sure I can't commit to general surgery just based on lifestyle. Aghhhh you can probably tell I have no idea what I'm talking about! I feel like one day it's something like surgery the next day it's EM and last month it was something else! Hahaha.

Ultimately I have to make the decision but hearing from others is great! I really appreciate you getting back to me though, very helpful!

Based on what you have said I think you might enjoy some of the medical subspecialties such as GI and cardiology. Especially since you can't fathom doing general surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked with an interventional neurologist last week...kind of pseudosurgery with a big chunk of medicine alongside since he was also covering the inpatient neuro patients. . Maybe you'd like that...give it a look

I didn't decide until December. Surgery just... happened. I didn't know until after I did surgery.
The lifestyle may seem horrid (actually, I know it can be) but it honestly feels like its a small price to pay for the satisfaction I see in surgery. Plus, I've found I fit in really well with the personality. So don't rule it out because of what you perceive.

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate the help! It just sucks not knowing and I'm just waiting for that moment when I know exactly this is what I want to do. I also am 2 months into 3rd year so I dont know too much about medicine in general and all the options.

@bonedrone14 - I have never heard of IN! It sounds very neat. How did you find out about that? is that considered hard to get into? I will have to do some research on it.

@FIREitUP funny you mention cardiology because it's something I am strongly considering (imagine that lol)! This may seem like a silly question (I haven't worked too much with cardiologists but i loved our cardio section in school) what kinds of procedural work do they do?

@Kaustikos December of 4th year? I really did enjoy surgery, don't get me wrong. But with the sort of lifestyle I envision im not sure it would really fit. That being said I haven't crossed it off my list as yet.

@J DUB I want to use my hands in some way or another whether it's cutting or even just smaller routine kind of stuff! People have mentioned EM might be something I should consider but havent had much exposure as yet

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks again!

I was doing a week of general neuro wards and the guy just happened to be the attending that week. I'm pretty sure its a fellowship after neuro...I dunno how competitive neuro fellowships are at all. I will say that with the stuff he was dealing with (ruptured aneurysms, dissections, etc) it was kind of an emergent thing. During the week I worked with him he would usually get there around 9 and do 2 or so scheduled procedures and then round on the regular inpatients. Then if he had any emergent procedures those were on top of that. Of the week I was with him he only had one night where he was called in to operate.

Yeah, you're right! I guess I'm wondering what are other specialties where there are surgical skills involved but not necessarily to the extent of gen surgery

Just depends on how you feel about following the patient throughout their hospital course and getting to know them OR "treat and street"
Hey,
At least they give them a consolation prize of painkillers. Just.. make them work for it.

Hey,
At least they give them a consolation prize of painkillers. Just.. make them work for it.

I talked one of the attendings one day to give 8 Norco to this patient that was obviously drug seeking. Not even 2 days worth based on sig.

She had to wait hrs for that "pain" shot too. She was so pissed.

She in 12/10 pain of course. Sleeping in the room, normal HR/BP, and texting. While all the time asking where is the RN with her shot.

One reason why I did not chose EM.