specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdonny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask a few questions as I am very interested in this field With all of this talk about CRNA vs MDs are thier parts of this field that an CRNA would never be able to surpass a doctor. For example, are CRNAs doing intense critical care work at hospitals or complex cards cases or are doctors still handling these and the CRNA and fighting to replace physicians to do "more basic" OR work that they believe does not require a doctorate degree. I tried searching and have not really found it discussed so please direct me to a thread if this has already been discussed. Are there subspecialties within this field that ONLY a physican could do and hospital admins etc. understand that?

Members don't see this ad.

are thier parts of this field that an CRNA would never be able to surpass a doctor.

Yes, all parts.

Are there subspecialties within this field that ONLY a physican could do and hospital admins etc. understand that?

Pediatric-cardiac, some transplant, and maybe critical care. Otherwise there is no guarantee. General pediatric is more likely to fall in that category within academic institutions.

You may want to search again as this has been discussed ad nauseum.

-pod