specialty change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

revolution1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people probably post about this thing all the time, but I feel like venting.
So this is something I continue to struggle with. Specialty choice. I have been practicing both hospital and outpt general medicine for 2 years and I remain unhappy with my career choice. If i had to choose one over the other, I would saw outpt is the more bearable of the two.
I went to med school with the intention of being a psychiatrist and ended up in IM. I twice applied for and interviewed for fellowship but halted the process (most recently this past winter) because I knew in my gut I did not want do additional training in a sub-specialty of IM.
Off and on I have considered doing pgy2-4 in psych. I hesitate because of my student loan debt and my ever advancing age (late 30s). But I just can't shake the feeling that I would be more satisfied in psych. I think my friends and family look at me like I'm crazy because I can't seem to make my mind....but in all honesty, the fellowship applications were like searching for a way out of being a hospitalist (which I really can't stand).
I even interviewed today to do some extra work in the hospital I have admitting privileges at, and as the director was saying "10-12 admissions overnight...." alarms went off in my brain and I thought...even if they were paying me 5000 a night to do this, I still couldn't bring myself to do it...that is how much I hate it.

Anyone out there go through this? Practice in one specialty then do a second residency in psych?
I feel like I have spoken about this before and I don't mean to sound like a broken record.

Members don't see this ad.

yes i know several people who have switched into psychiatry after completing residency including having practiced for many years or doing non-clinical work for several years. There are a number of programs that have specific PGY-2 spots and several more that will accept PGY-2s that don't advertise these positions but if you apply will consider you for PGY-2 spot. Further, there are programs that have people leave and spots open up. I would contact the programs you are interested in and inquire with your application (cover letter, CV and have letters of recommendation etc sent directly to those programs). psychiatry programs usually snap up people like you. go for it, late 30s is not "advancing age" given that there are people in their 50s doing residency these days.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed, go for it. You can moonlight as a hospitalist on the weekends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know people probably post about this thing all the time, but I feel like venting.
So this is something I continue to struggle with. Specialty choice. I have been practicing both hospital and outpt general medicine for 2 years and I remain unhappy with my career choice. If i had to choose one over the other, I would saw outpt is the more bearable of the two.
I went to med school with the intention of being a psychiatrist and ended up in IM. I twice applied for and interviewed for fellowship but halted the process (most recently this past winter) because I knew in my gut I did not want do additional training in a sub-specialty of IM.
Off and on I have considered doing pgy2-4 in psych. I hesitate because of my student loan debt and my ever advancing age (late 30s). But I just can't shake the feeling that I would be more satisfied in psych. I think my friends and family look at me like I'm crazy because I can't seem to make my mind....but in all honesty, the fellowship applications were like searching for a way out of being a hospitalist (which I really can't stand).
I even interviewed today to do some extra work in the hospital I have admitting privileges at, and as the director was saying "10-12 admissions overnight...." alarms went off in my brain and I thought...even if they were paying me 5000 a night to do this, I still couldn't bring myself to do it...that is how much I hate it.

Anyone out there go through this? Practice in one specialty then do a second residency in psych?
I feel like I have spoken about this before and I don't mean to sound like a broken record.

You could still have a 30+ year career in psych if you decided to make the switch. That is the beauty of psych.

There are a number of humane and high quality PGY-II – PGY-IV trainings in psychiatry. The ACGME doesn’t allow PGY-Is to moonlight, but programs can add additional restrictions so you should check that out. It sounds like you are working fairly hard now, putting in some moonlighting to make progress on loans is very possible.

I work in psychiatry post graduate education so I have a selection bias, but there is nothing uncommon about an IM convert pushing 40 in psychiatry training. It happens all of the time. I would guess that you are already a lot like most of us but were just a little slower at figuring out that you hate IM.

It is amazing how many undergraduate medical students like psychiatry, but don’t do it because of some unfortunate misleading public relation issues. Nothing like working the IM wards to get you past that. Don’t let us twist your arm. You know you are going to jump in drink the kool aid and turn to the dark side. Our collective consciousness can see this clearly in your future, and (while I’m at it) these aren’t the droids you are looking for.

Good luck in this decision, you can do it if you choose to, you just have to make up your mind. :droid::welcome::corny:

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys. It makes me feel better. Maybe I just need some nudging from the appropriate crowd. :)

I started med school late (bc I did a PhD in psychology first...yes, would have been convenient to have done the MD/PhD together but I didn't know I wanted to go to med school at the time)... so that already made me a bit older.
now that I am older, went through a residency AND have been out here working for 2 years I have the perspective to know that IM was the wrong choice for me.
I feel like I have worked so hard to get to this point anyway, another 3 years of training doesn't sound so bad lol or does it

Has anyone ever used this resident swap thing? I don't know if I should just sign up for the hell of it.

yea me neither. i am sort of stuck where i am, but there are many options... im in NYC.

I applaud your honesty with yourself, and your bravery for stepping near the precipice.

Question guys... is there a resource that can help me find out which residency programs have open pgy2 positions each year? or do i have to contact every program i am interested in and ask?
i know Cornell does...and i think Dartmouth does as well. i am hoping to stay NYC/NJ/PA...

more programs will take residents as PGY-2 that the very few that have specific PGY-2 positions. Which is why it is better to apply to all the programs you wish. The good news is that PGY-2 spots are much, much less competitive

thanks splik. conveniently, i work at my med school so getting the documents together for eras is a breeze :)

Hello, I too am in a similar position, though I have less experience than the Original Poster. Looking for Psychiatry PGY-2 or at least off-cycle PGY-1 in the NYC area after having done an Internship in Internal Medicine, where I was not happy. I wish there was a better way of finding these off-cycle PGY-1 spots for people who are dropping out, or off-cycle PGY-2, in New York City. Any resources where I can find open spots? I know I can contact the program organizers, but any better way of seeking out these spots?