Specialty of Interest???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimus-Prime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you interested in???

I love trauma;
just torn between ortho or general surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Psych and neurology, though I am shadowing in the OR this summer, so that may spark an interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Psych and neurology, though I am shadowing in the OR this summer, so that may spark an interest.

I was dead set on ortho after some shadowing/athletic injuries; volunteered at a trauma center=love spark

I used to complain about all the shadowing, but it really is a nice way to explore interests

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pulm/CCM, Psych, and Path, though its very plausible that I could change my mind come 3 years from now.

rad onc would the dream for me. :happy:

Ahh. I work with the ortho trauma side of things. Didn't know GI could lead into it too, but that makes sense. And yeah, I was saying for surgery, not for IM. Cool!

Edit: Oops, meant gen surg.

rad onc would the dream for me. :happy:

Dat proton therapy.

Last edited:
I am sure the list will shorten/change as I get further along, but I am currently most inclined towards ER, Traumatology, Ortho, and Neurosurgery

You're thinking of CCM.

I meant EM not IM,

At least where I volunteer a lot of the EM residents and Critical Care Fellows were on the trauma floor, not sure if its universal I'm assuming it is

Members don't see this ad :)
Derm, if more realistically IM, Neurology

GI trauma fellowship?

I do research for ortho onc and ortho spine. I work with some of the ortho trauma docs, but barely. I don't know anything about the Gen Surg Trauma stuff. I think I meant to type Gen Surg if I typed GI. Oops.

What are you interested in???

I love trauma;
just torn between ortho or general surgery

Neurology is my strongest interest at the moment. In theory, I love surgery, but I question my ability to handle trauma. But will shadow and get some exposure to see if it's really something of interest.

That being said if I couldn't so neurosurgery, I'd do neurology and if I couldn't do that it would be psych.
I'm just a mind/brain person do whatever gets me closest to that I'm game.

I've always thought that PM&R would be really cool.

77% General Surgery with a Fellowship in Trauma & Shock Trauma or 20% EM. I've been an ER nurse for going on 3 years so that's my "comfort". 3% Maaaaaybe Gyn because I like Women's Health but NO Obstetric

if i can handle the physics, rad onc. if not, peds heme/onc!

Reactions: 2 users
Almost certainly emergency medicine.

But I'm open to changing my mind should I fall in love with something else. I shadowed an infectious disease doctor (HIV concentration) and was very impressed by the importance and complexity.

Neurology is my strongest interest at the moment. In theory, I love surgery, but I question my ability to handle trauma. But will shadow and get some exposure to see if it's really something of interest.

That being said if I couldn't so neurosurgery, I'd do neurology and if I couldn't do that it would be psych.
I'm just a mind/brain person do whatever gets me closest to that I'm game.

Its such a rush I think you'd get used to it.

I really like some of the neurovascular surgeries I've seen online

77% General Surgery with a Fellowship in Trauma & Shock Trauma or 20% EM. I've been an ER nurse for going on 3 years so that's my "comfort". 3% Maaaaaybe Gyn because I like Women's Health but NO Obstetric

Trauma!

OB/Gyn for me 100%. Probably heavier on the obstetrics side.

Those surgeries can last all day (or longer) lol.

I hear spine gets long too.

I used to think spine would be really cool, just didn't like the surgeries when I watched them. I don't think I could spend a career doing laminectomies and fusions.

Orthopedic Surgery!

I also love the neurosurgery procedures on YouTube. Although, they usually only show you the "highlights." Quite a few full length ortho procedures are on youtube because they are shorter in length.

Orthopedic Surgery!

I also love the neurosurgery procedures on YouTube. Although, they usually only show you the "highlights." Quite a few full length ortho procedures are on youtube because they are shorter in length.

I really like joints too, especially knee.

Double fellowship?

I used to think spine would be really cool, just didn't like the surgeries when I watched them. I don't think I could spend a career doing laminectomies and fusions.

Complex spine reconstructions (ie for tumors and deformities) can take forever. You might find those procedures more exciting, but they're probably not as common, unless you practice at a major academic center.

I really like joints too, especially knee.

Double fellowship?
Some ortho surgeons (at least in NYC) do shoulder and knee replacements after completing a sports medicine fellowship.
I guess it depends on where you train.

I've also worked with and know sports med docs that operate.

Spine is hard to appreciate because the anatomy is very important and the difference are minute to the untrained eyes. I've done MIS TLIF's, put in pedicle screws, done discectomies, CT guided navigation guidewires, etc. during a cadaver lab and that really helped me appreciate the minutia.

I've also been in the OR watching the attendings I work for doing Revision Scoli cases in patients with Chordoma. That case ran for about 16 hours. I watched for a few hours but had to leave so I could get home before public transportation closed for the night.

psych
heme/onc
anesthesiology- pain fellowship

I've always thought that PM&R would be really cool.

It is! I work with a PM&R slash Sports fellow who absolutely loves what she does.

Almost certainly emergency medicine.

But I'm open to changing my mind should I fall in love with something else. I shadowed an infectious disease doctor (HIV concentration) and was very impressed by the importance and complexity.

ID/HIV is really cool, but all the handwringing drives me up a damn wall. It's too much thinking and too little action for me. Some of the cases of IRIS, CNS escape, etc. are really cool, but those are very very rare in the US. Most of ID is just doing consults for inpatients, which is awesome if that's what you're into.

I've also worked with and know sports med docs that operate.

Spine is hard to appreciate because the anatomy is very important and the difference are minute to the untrained eyes. I've done MIS TLIF's, put in pedicle screws, done discectomies, CT guided navigation guidewires, etc. during a cadaver lab and that really helped me appreciate the minutia.

I've also been in the OR watching the attendings I work for doing Revision Scoli cases in patients with Chordoma. That case ran for about 16 hours. I watched for a few hours but had to leave so I could get home before public transportation closed for the night.
Who was doing the revision scoli case? Were they orthopods, neurons, or both?

Right now, that's my favorite non-surgical specialty. It's immensely diverse and the hours are usually very favorable.

It is! I work with a PM&R slash Sports fellow who absolutely loves what she does.

I'm really not sure why it's not mentioned more often in "specialty interest" threads like this one. To me it has it all: the hours and pay are relatively good, it's incredibly interesting, nice balance of procedures/treatment plans, not particularly competitive to get into, very diverse, and even has awesome subspecialties like Sports and Pain.

I'm really not sure why it's not mentioned more often in "specialty interest" threads like this one. To me it has it all: the hours and pay are relatively good, it's incredibly interesting, nice balance of procedures/treatment plans, not particularly competitive to get into, very diverse, and even has awesome subspecialties like Sports and Pain.
The U of Wash might be one of the best places for pm&r training. Look at all the fellowships they offer!
http://rehab.washington.edu/education/fellowship/

Edit: Physiatry is definitely one of the top "OMG I wish I knew about this" fields.

Reactions: 2 users
Who was doing the revision scoli case? Were they orthopods, neurons, or both?

Ortho onc. I work in a hospital with a specialized ortho onc center though. I've probably been in the OR for more sarcoma/chordoma cases than most orthopods see in their entire life.

Ortho onc. I work in a hospital with a specialized ortho onc center though. I've probably been in the OR for more sarcoma/chordoma cases than most orthopods see in their entire life.
From what I've heard, those are rare cases. I imagine that ppl from all over travel to your hospital to get treatment for those pathologies.

Heard from my research supervisor about a recent cardiac sarcoma case. Something about removing multiple tumor nodules from within a ventricle. :wow:

Those videos above looked really cool. Not sure if I'd be able to pull of surgery though. Seems scary

Psych -> sleep, forensics, or addiction med.

On a different set of interests, heme/onc and rads are pretty cool also.

Last edited:
I have always avoided videos to avoid psyching myself out about surgery. But I watched it. I enjoyed it and it definitely sparked some interests. My mom had a ruptured aneurysm recently so it was particularly nice to see what that looks like on the inside.
I hope your mom is doing ok. A friend of mine recently had surgery for an AVM and they also found an unruptured aneurysm in the vicinity (so they had to take care of that as well). Luckily, her surgery was a success.

I initially wasn't interested in surgery until an orthopedic surgeon invited me to shadow him. He completed 6-7 procedures before 3 pm. It was amazing.
Obviously, this is vastly different from clipping an aneurysm, which can take all day (or all night). I actually tell myself to avoid shadowing a neurosurgeon because I'm afraid that I'll get suckered in-lol.