Specialty you're interested in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm interested in Ortho because I really liked the bone and joint unit in my A&P class and also because I've observed some surgeries and I think it would be cool to do that for a living.

However, I know the stigma associated with "im a premed and I want to do ortho" so I pretty much feel like a douche.

Oh well.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I really like Psychiatry and EM, but that's just because I've had limited exposure to all the other fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like Emergency Medicine. My ER doc I did research with only worked 104 hours a month.

I want the most flexibility with my scheduling--as I have other things to supplement my income.

Pediatrics for me. A dual med/peds residency also looks nice.

I guess I'm an anomaly here, but I want to do something that involves some kind of primary care component

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesiology for me. I like the thought process associated with making diagnoses, but I've heard a lot of negative things about IM. Plus I feel like Scrubs has kind of glorified the specialty for me, so I won't be able to get an unbiased read until I do a rotation in it.

I used to consider a lot of Emergency Medicine but I've been having my doubts.

Ultimately, I feel like by the time I am in my third and fourth years, I may have a new favorite, but whenever someone asks me I usually just say Anesthesiology for now.

Maybe EM, too. $250k/year shift work sounds nice. You get to see tons of freakshow stuff, too.

Anything related to neuromuscularskeletal because it's in line with what I have been doing professional and why I am going to become a doc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

PMR and then pain. I want to work with diseases involved with the musculoskeletal system. I love bones, joints, and muscles as well, medpr. BTW, you're not a douche. If anybody thinks youre a douche for wanting to be an ortho, tell em' to **** off.

if PMR doesn't pan out, then possibly neurology. IDK, I really think PMR is for me.

Anything related to neuromuscularskeletal because it's in line with what I have been doing professional and why I am going to become a doc

AKA, "I wanna be an orthpedist."

PM&R and rheumatology also deal with neuromusculoskeletal medicine. I think a fellowship exists for neurologists in neuromuscular medicine, too.

Not sure. I wanna try everything before making a decision.

Maybe bariatric surgery/general. I want to primarily do trauma surgery.

Hmm... Psychiatry, Neurology, Forensic Path ?
I'll know when I get there, I suppose.

Possibly EM, possibly anesthesiology. I have no real interest in low acuity long term care at this point, no real interest in psych, and am worried about the lifestyle of and residency length of surgery and the like. I am open to changing my mind, but those are my first two choices at this point.

EM and PM&R are also interesting to me.

So I'm interested in Ortho because I really liked the bone and joint unit in my A&P class and also because I've observed some surgeries and I think it would be cool to do that for a living.

However, I know the stigma associated with "im a premed and I want to do ortho" so I pretty much feel like a douche.

Oh well.

I'll join you as a fellow douche then. :p Ortho for me, at least for now.

I've been interested in EM, pathology, and radiology in the past so who knows what will catch my eye when actually get there. Right now ortho seems perfect though.

AKA, "I wanna be an orthpedist."

PM&R and rheumatology also deal with neuromusculoskeletal medicine. I think a fellowship exists for neurologists in neuromuscular medicine, too.

Not really. There are many more fields that deal with that. For example sports

Gynecologic Oncology is my dream job. There isn't anything else in the world I'd rather be and honestly if I don't get that specialty I'll likely drop out and work at Planned Parenthood for the rest of my life.

Originally Neurosurgery, but after shadowing a service several times, I hated it. Bunch of dbags who sounded like they did not give a **** about their patients during rounds.

Ortho, Urology and ENT had some awesome people though. Really approachable and cool senior residents and attendings at least at the hospital I was at.

Originally Neurosurgery, but after shadowing a service several times, I hated it. Bunch of dbags who sounded like they did not give a **** about their patients during rounds.

Ortho, Urology and ENT had some awesome people though. Really approachable and cool senior residents and attendings at least at the hospital I was at.

They don't, and I say this from experience as a patient. Though I trust them as capable surgeons, I hate them as people. One of them even laughed as he showed me a new spine tumor on an MRI. WTF?!

I used to want to be a neurosurgeon too, but then I realized I am not a psychopathic killer. The practice of medicine should not be so one dimensional.

ENT's have always been my favorites of the surgeons. They've always had the best bedside manner and they seem to care about your life outside the hospital.

One of my mentors is an ENT and the man is one of the kindest, most social doctors I've ever met.

Ophthalmologists are also usually pretty chill, as are orthos. Uros, I wouldn't know, but when your job centeres aroung penis eyes, I imagine you have to have a sense of gumor about it.

Podiatry.

Wait, that's not a specialty? Somewhere along the way I've been greatly misinformed...

They don't, and I say this from experience as a patient. Though I trust them as capable surgeons, I hate them as people. One of them even laughed as he showed me a new spine tumor on an MRI. WTF?!

I used to want to be a neurosurgeon too, but then I realized I am not a psychopathic killer. The practice of medicine should not be so one dimensional.

ENT's have always been my favorites of the surgeons. They've always had the best bedside manner and they seem to care about your life outside the hospital.

One of my mentors is an ENT and the man is one of the kindest, most social doctors I've ever met.

Ophthalmologists are also usually pretty chill, as are orthos. Uros, I wouldn't know, but when your job centeres aroung penis eyes, I imagine you have to have a sense of gumor about it.

Yeah I'm really glad not to be only one who thought this way. Although they really do have good surgical skill in the OR, the service I was following was basically joking around about the patients. One senior resident was basically mimicking one patient's seizure and literally said "yeah, he can die for all I care about". Granted they were on call for the night, and residency does make you callous, but damn....

Yeah I'm really glad not to be only one who thought this way. Although they really do have good surgical skill in the OR, the service I was following was basically joking around about the patients. One senior resident was basically mimicking one patient's seizure and literally said "yeah, he can die for all I care about". Granted they were on call for the night, and residency does make you callous, but damn....

. . .Damn. . . :(

This is utterly ridiculous. Neurosurgeons can be jerks just like physicians in any other specialty. The first physician I ever shadowed with was a neurosurgeon, and I spent quite a few days with him, and even some time in the OR on a case. He was one of the nicest people I have EVER met, not just in a medical setting.

You are generalizing an entire group of people based on your interactions with a few.

Neurology with particular research interest in neurodegenerative disease progression.

I understand the "ortho pre-med" stigma you're referring to. I thought it would be that way when meeting other pre-meds, but I honestly have been surprised to find that I've only met a few that want to do ortho as well. I became interested in ortho way before I knew the kind of money they made or how competitive it is.

Now I'm thinking I still like ortho and sports med. But, I also may consider family medicine with a fellowship in sports med or possibly even emergency med with a sports med fellowship. Or possibly even just EM.

I try to keep an open mind and understand a lot can change in the next 4-5 years, and that there are a ton of directions to go in medicine.

This is utterly ridiculous. Neurosurgeons can be jerks just like physicians in any other specialty. The first physician I ever shadowed with was a neurosurgeon, and I spent quite a few days with him, and even some time in the OR on a case. He was one of the nicest people I have EVER met, not just in a medical setting.

You are generalizing an entire group of people based on your interactions with a few.

When you've had five neurosurgeons in your career as a patient and not one positive experience, then you have the privilege of stating your observations.

Yes, I'm sure some neurosurgeons make wonderful colleagues and I dare say most are very gifted in the practice of surgery, but as clinicians, their bedside manner leaves much to be desired.

You've not yet (and may never) experienced what it's like to be on the other side of the knife. I have and I'll carry that with me all my life because it drives me to be a better physician for my own patients in my future practice.

We learn a lot about the kind of parents we want to be by the kind of parents we've had. I learn a lot about the kind of doctor I wish to be by the kind of doctors I've had.

I understand the "ortho pre-med" stigma you're referring to. I thought it would be that way when meeting other pre-meds, but I honestly have been surprised to find that I've only met a few that want to do ortho as well. I became interested in ortho way before I knew the kind of money they made or how competitive it is.

Now I'm thinking I still like ortho and sports med. But, I also may consider family medicine with a fellowship in sports med or possibly even emergency med with a sports med fellowship. Or possibly even just EM.

I try to keep an open mind and understand a lot can change in the next 4-5 years, and that there are a ton of directions to go in medicine.

Same here. I actually used to be interested in anesthesia and rads before I knew how competitive and generally desirable they are. No interest in either now though.

When you've had five neurosurgeons in your career as a patient and not one positive experience, then you have the privilege of stating your observations.

Yes, I'm sure some neurosurgeons make wonderful colleagues and I dare say most are very gifted in the practice of surgery, but as clinicians, their bedside manner leaves much to be desired.

You've not yet (and may never) experienced what it's like to be on the other side of the knife. I have and I'll carry that with me all my life because it drives me to be a better physician for my own patients in my future practice.

We learn a lot about the kind of parents we want to be by the kind of parents we've had. I learn a lot about the kind of doctor I wish to be by the kind of doctors I've had.

We'll agree to disagree then.

Maybe it's just that living in North Carolina automatically makes everyone a nicer person. You know, southern hospitalitay and all :)

:laugh: I need to make friends with a neurosurgeon.

Maybe it's just that living in North Carolina automatically makes everyone a nicer person. You know, southern hospitalitay and all :)

Fair enough. West coaster here. Not the nicest bunch.

Go NC!:thumbup: And I really like endocrinology so far:p

I've said it before, and I will say it again...

I do not understand the wide draw to neurosurgery. The only thing I can discern is that MAYBE it's mostly influenced by "McDreamy" from Grey's Anatomy. (Oh no he didn't!!)

But then again, there are not a lot of people wanting to go into plastics.

I mean, really, why neurosurgery?! Is it because it sounds elite? Is it because being a "master of brains" validates your inner-genius complex? I don't get it.

Emergency Medicine I get. There is a perception of easy hours, always interesting cases, and a large payout at very little personal cost. Throw in the comparatively shorter residency and the popular medical drama "ER," and you got yourself a very popular specialty.

Sorry, it has just always fascinated me in these threads that there are so many neuro-surgical pups on here.

Same here. I actually used to be interested in anesthesia and rads before I knew how competitive and generally desirable they are. No interest in either now though.

Gas is not that competitive. It is similar to IM. Extremely competitive at the top and not so competitive at the bottom.

I mean, really, why neurosurgery?! Is it because it sounds elite? Is it because being a "master of brains" validates your inner-genius complex? I don't get it.

Money. If you don't mind being a slave, straight neurosurgery pays ~$600k/year. Neurosurgeons who specialize in spinal injuries could probably clear a million a year.