specific MS Program before medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AldeHide

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is sort of specific to a particular MS program out of ASU - The MS in Science of Health Care Delivery.

I cant find much in reviews or the sort on it, nothing on here for the most part anyways. I will probably end up graduating from U. Iowa with a BS in Human Physiology and a Cum GPA of 3.3 or 3.4 with a science gpa around 3.3 also. I will graduate may 2017 and I am obviously nervous about my admissions chances. I have thought about DO and would love that equally as much as MD schooling. Either way I think my GPA will be on the low end. I know a good solid mcat score will be much more beneficial than any MS program so that is my number one goal right now.. Im just preparing for the bad case of having an average score (meaning average of admitted students not just average) I also realize that a lot of times MS programs are worthless to application boards. I guess im asking about this specifically because its not just like another MPH to boost a resume.

I was thinking about doing a masters because I dont have any research (not yet at least) and not that this will add much but it will add other resume boosting things like LOTS of Patient contact and the sort.

I have 200 hours of Physician Shadowing and 200 hours of Surgery Clinic volunteer work.

If not this program, what would be similar and more beneficial. Also open to other ideas. I am dedicated, I have a bad GPA because sophomore year I lost my way a little bit and didnt know if this was something I wanted to do so I moved away to work on software dev. for a semester in san francisco. Turns out i missed this a ton and came back to it.

please dont ream me :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your reply and input-So then I take it your advice is to not complete this program or one similar? if that is your advice what would follow in my progression toward becoming a doctor? I have this semester and three more (including my summer semester where i will take a required spanish course)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply and input-So then I take it your advice is to not complete this program or one similar? if that is your advice what would follow in my progression toward becoming a doctor? I have this semester and three more (including my summer semester where i will take a required spanish course)
With a decent MCAT you can go DO with your current gpa.
Otherwise, you will need a very strong post bac and MCAT.
What is your state of residence?

With a decent MCAT you can go DO with your current gpa.
Otherwise, you will need a very strong post bac and MCAT.
What is your state of residence?

Okay, I assumed that about DO, I live in Iowa and would love to go to somewhere like DMU [DO] but I am open to attending lots of schools.

I guess I must not fully understand difference between 'post bacc' and a masters program like this because it is a 9 month program with lots of patient contact.
- im not ignoring what you said about masters programs i am just confused on why an MS would be not beneficial but post bacc would.

Okay, I assumed that about DO, I live in Iowa and would love to go to somewhere like DMU [DO] but I am open to attending lots of schools.

I guess I must not fully understand difference between 'post bacc' and a masters program like this because it is a 9 month program with lots of patient contact.
- im not ignoring what you said about masters programs i am just confused on why an MS would be not beneficial but post bacc would.
Post bac grades can improve your undergrad gpa and have the potential to show that something about you has changed since your previous performance.
Master's grades are not averaged into undergrad gpa and we expect A's in a master's program. Anything less will hurt. Most applicants do not have a Master's degree so this is outside of comparative norms.
DO schools seem to view this differently, but you are potentially a good DO candidate as is, with a decent MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Post bac grades can improve your undergrad gpa and have the potential to show that something about you has changed since your previous performance.
Master's grades are not averaged into undergrad gpa and we expect A's in a master's program.

Okay cool, I didnt know that you could graduate and have my undergrad GPA go up? I guess then my second question would be is there a benefit to graduating and receiving my degree then staying and taking courses instead of putting off the degree and picking up a second major like chemistry and just waiting to graduate until my extra unnecessary 1st bachelors degree work is finished. all financials aside..

Okay cool, I didnt know that you could graduate and have my undergrad GPA go up? I guess then my second question would be is there a benefit to graduating and receiving my degree then staying and taking courses instead of putting off the degree and picking up a second major like chemistry and just waiting to graduate until my extra unnecessary 1st bachelors degree work is finished. all financials aside..
A sustained period of strength in challenging classes will do the trick, whether it is in or outside a degree, major or minor.

Reactions: 1 user
A sustained period of strength in challenging classes will do the trick, whether it is in or outside a degree, major or minor.
perfect, that is what I was looking for - Thank you.