Specific Open Vacancies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Georgetown13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the other thread went off topic slightly I wanted to post about the most recent vacancies

As a future applicant in the DC area I am concerned that Maryland has an open vacancy? I have heard from one of our attendings at WHC that their program has been falling apart with no peds/plastic attendings and neuro-ophtho is a train neurologist that does not do surgery. If this is true how do you get exposure to those specialties? I want apply in the area but anyone have any details about this program?

Kresge? Anyone know about why there is a sudden opening? I hear it is a great program.

Members don't see this ad.

Since the other thread went off topic slightly I wanted to post about the most recent vacancies

As a future applicant in the DC area I am concerned that Maryland has an open vacancy? I have heard from one of our attendings at WHC that their program has been falling apart with no peds/plastic attendings and neuro-ophtho is a train neurologist that does not do surgery. If this is true how do you get exposure to those specialties? I want apply in the area but anyone have any details about this program?

Kresge? Anyone know about why there is a sudden opening? I hear it is a great program.

I would recommend attempting to contact the program and/or the current residents to hear the situation of any program that you may be interested in. There a lot of reasons why there may be vacancies.

I would recommend attempting to contact the program and/or the current residents to hear the situation of any program that you may be interested in. There a lot of reasons why there may be vacancies.

This. Sometimes, people just change their plans. They decide at the last minute to pursue another specialty. They decide to take a year off, for whatever reason. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the program itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a point about neuro oph. If they they did neurology then a neuro oph fellowship that is fine. Also it is not uncommon for any neuro oph to not operate.

Just to clarify the original post, I think his/her concerns were about UMaryland not WHC/Georgetown, which has solid peds, plastics and neuro opportunities.

To piggyback off this thread:

If a program is asking for openings that are PGY3 and higher (after first year Ophtho)-- regardless of if its a newly created spot or they just had a resident depart--doesn't that almost necessarily mean that they are poaching a resident from another program?

I guess there could be some residents that had previously left ophtho for whatever reason and are now looking to get back, or some programs are bloated from taking on an extra resident after a previous program closed, but that seems like it would rarely line up that way.

So is there anything else I'm missing? And doesn't that just lead to falling dominoes throughout subsequent programs?

Now there is an opening in Pittsburgh just up on sfmatch vacancies. Why are there suddenly so many openings?

Now there is an opening in Pittsburgh just up on sfmatch vacancies. Why are there suddenly so many openings?

Eyeballs' 150k initial salary is not as sexy as the 350-400k initial starting salaries for Anesthesiologists or Radiologists.

Eyeballs' 150k initial salary is not as sexy as the 350-400k initial starting salaries for Anesthesiologists or Radiologists.

Again, anesthesiologists and radiologists don't have to build practices. They are mostly employed and get fed work by hospitals. You cannot compare starting salaries. With ophthalmology, you start lower, but have more growth potential and are more likely to own your practice. They are very different business models.

Sent from my ADR6300 using SDN Mobile