Spectroscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badboys4lyfe42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going through the organic chemistry portion of the Kaplan book. They spend some time talking about IR spectrums, as well as NMR and UV. I was wondering if we actually had to be able to read those (considering remembering the ranges would be a pain!). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be good to know the general ranges...I did come across a question on my test that dealt with IR...let me tell you, that was one of my weak areas on Ochem!
I don't think you need to memorize all of the ranges, because that would be a massive pain in the butt!
That's just me though...

i think you should definitely memorize them, there are 6-8 that are of extreme importance, and it's all fair games
for example C=O stretch, OH stretch, OH stretch in COOH, NH stretch, double bond, triple bond and a few more.

i think you should definitely memorize them, there are 6-8 that are of extreme importance, and it's all fair games
for example C=O stretch, OH stretch, OH stretch in COOH, NH stretch, double bond, triple bond and a few more.
+1:thumbup: