Spouse support group thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothbrushBuddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I thought us married people (or people in a LTR) should create a support group thread for moving to dental school. I am just curious, how does your spouse feel about moving to dental school? What are you doing to help them with the transition? I think my husband is suddenly getting cold feet just thinking about moving across the country for my career even though he's been my biggest supporter for the last seven years. Does anyone else have a similar situation or can offer any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

My wife has been very supportive throughout the process, but she has been feeling depressed and unsure, since it will be financially hard and she has yet to transfer to a 4 year university, not to also mention spending the majority of time trying to find new job and school, complicating things even more. I just keep reminding her how grateful I am for her support and how I will be doing the same when she applies to health professional school or any big decision. I keep telling her that we will have at least one date per week. We even talked about being in LDR, but that doesn't seem a good idea for married couples.

My wife has been very supportive throughout the process, but she has been feeling depressed and unsure, since it will be financially hard and she has yet to transfer to a 4 year university, not to also mention spending the majority of time trying to find new job and school, complicating things even more. I just keep reminding her how grateful I am for her support and how I will be doing the same when she applies to health professional school or any big decision. I keep telling her that we will have at least one date per week. We even talked about being in LDR, but that doesn't seem a good idea for married couples.
Yeah I feel for your and her situation, I just hope they don't end up resenting us for it in the end. :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My girlfriend of three years has played a huge role in this entire process, from before I even decided on pursuing a dental education to now. When I was sending out apps this summer, we picked schools based on where we could see ourselves spending the next 4+ years together. She is a teacher and would get a new certification for whichever state we decided on. We are from NJ and plan on moving close to NYC so I can have an easier commute to NYU, while she is applying for teacher positions near the city, but still in NJ. We have also made the decision together to apply for the HPSP as we believe would provide us with the best opportunity, while in school and in the future. Needless to say, I'm very blessed to have so much support!

Reactions: 3 users
i am incredibly blessed to have a husband working at job that has allowed him to transfer to a branch within 10 miles of my dental school
without him, i have no idea how i would have paid for any of the apps/supplementaries/dats or interviews

hopefully we can survive the next 4, because even though undergrad was hard, d school is a whole different level

Reactions: 1 user
To be very honest, I am not sure that is going to happen with me and my bf if I don't get into my in-state school. He wants to stay in the state and LDR won't work for us. Oh well, if it means to be, just let it be...

My husband has been amazing supporter through this whole process, but is becoming more nervous about moving for school. We have a son which makes things more complicated. I live very close to a dental school that I'm hoping to get accepted to which means he could stay at the same job. However, if we move I'm not really sure what he would do for work and he's the only income, that's pretty scary! Oh well, guess sometimes you just have to go with where the acceptances take you and hope for the best...(assuming I get any!)

My husband has been amazing supporter through this whole process, but is becoming more nervous about moving for school. We have a son which makes things more complicated. I live very close to a dental school that I'm hoping to get accepted to which means he could stay at the same job. However, if we move I'm not really sure what he would do for work and he's the only income, that's pretty scary! Oh well, guess sometimes you just have to go with where the acceptances take you and hope for the best...(assuming I get any!)

I am in your same situation. I have a kid and I will be applying this upcoming cycle. My wife is our only income and hopefully I will be considered for an interview and accepted at my state school. If not, I will probably have to move by myself , and hopefully she can find a job wherever I get in ( if I do ).

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in your same situation. I have a kid and I will be applying this upcoming cycle. My wife is our only income and hopefully I will be considered for an interview and accepted at my state school. If not, I will probably have to move by myself , and hopefully she can find a job wherever I get in ( if I do ).

Good luck.

I was thinking the same, maybe just moving by myself until he finds a job. The kicker though, is my son would come with me (can't be without him for too long ) so that would make studying tricky

I've been super blessed that I have an extremely supportive husband. We were also extremely lucky I got into my state school, because he has a job as a financial advisor and moving around wasn't a very good option for us. The true test comes in the next couple years, because he wants to have kids soon!

Only moving about 15 miles, and my wife's job is flexible. We are lucky.

Reactions: 2 users
My GF of 3 years just made a decision to move with me across the country. I am happy and nervous about this. She can ask to be transferred to where we are going to, but there is no guarantee that she will be able to get a job there. Honestly, I never thought about this problem before. But, oh well... time to step out of the box huh? let's hope for the best :).

Reactions: 1 users
My GF of 3 years just made a decision to move with me across the country. I am happy and nervous about this. She can ask to be transferred to where we are going to, but there is no guarantee that she will be able to get a job there. Honestly, I never thought about this problem before. But, oh well... time to step out of the box huh? let's hope for the best :).
now you have to marry her when you have the means etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
now you have to marry her when you have the means etc.

Haha yeah.. I actually made that decision last year. I promised myself that as soon as I got accepted into dental school, I would propose to her. Got her parents' blessing, the only thing left is the proposal.

But, sssshhhh!!! Let's keep it a secret from her :)

Reactions: 5 users
Only moving about 15 miles, and my wife's job is flexible. We are lucky.

Hoping for a similar outcome. My girlfriend will be applying this cycle and our number one choice is Baylor as it's only 1.5hrs from where we live now and moving to Dallas would still only put me an hour from work if I had trouble securing a job in the Dallas area. However, I'm in I.T. and the jobs where we are now are slim pickings so I'm looking forward to the prospects in Dallas. If not, the other two Texas schools would work. I'm the supportive boyfriend in this, BUT I've expressed serious interest in going back to school for dentistry and she is pushing me hard to pursue it. I would need an SMP/Graduate program, yet another reason Dallas is attractive (UT Dallas). We'll see! As it stands I'm simply the supportive boyfriend and I'm extremely excited about the next steps in this journey; December can't come soon enough.

Haha yeah.. I actually made that decision last year. I promised myself that as soon as I got accepted into dental school, I would propose to her. Got her parents' blessing, the only thing left is the proposal.

But, sssshhhh!!! Let's keep it a secret from her :)

Haha I read this and made a bad luck Brian meme. It said. Plans on proposing to his GF. and at the bottom it says. She has SDN account. Hahahahaha. I'm on my phone so couldn't upload it though. Lol

Haha I read this and made a bad luck Brian meme. It said. Plans on proposing to his GF. and at the bottom it says. She has SDN account. Hahahahaha. I'm on my phone so couldn't upload it though. Lol

lets see the ring! im pretty picky, i want GIA/EGL stats and everything.

Lmao! you gonna make me famous! :)

lets see the ring! im pretty picky, i want GIA/EGL stats and everything.

Haha I still have to narrow down my ring selection. Probably gonna get a mid grade diamond or a sapphire ring (she absolutely loves blue color).

Lmao! you gonna make me famous! :)

Haha I still have to narrow down my ring selection. Probably gonna get a mid grade diamond or a sapphire ring (she absolutely loves blue color).
Id go with sapphire.
If thats what she loves, its cheaper, and more unique

also, the SETTING IS SUPER IMPORTANT, make sure you put in some thought to those little details :p
I'm a little bored of my setting, wished it had more stuff going on hah

Id go with sapphire.

also, the SETTING IS SUPER IMPORTANT, make sure you put in some thought to those little details :p
I like mine, classic!

Find out what she likes, take her somewhere to try some on. I thought I'd love halos with lots of details, but once I tried them on, my idea changed drastically!

I like mine, classic!

Find out what she likes, take her somewhere to try some on. I thought I'd love halos with lots of details, but once I tried them on, my idea changed drastically!
sadly I have a halo and don't think its intricate enough!
the basket it sits in is plain, I wish it had more bling on the sides, I wish it had a european shank to be a little heavier on metal work
I wish it was a higher setting

he got the halo right, but again i am SUPPPERRR PICKY (now also sounding ungrateful :()

sadly I have a halo and don't think its intricate enough!
the basket it sits in is plain, I wish it had more bling on the sides, I wish it had a european shank to be a little heavier on metal work
I wish it was a higher setting

he got the halo right, but again i am SUPPPERRR PICKY (now also sounding ungrateful :()
Pics or it isn't real ;)

Yeah I get what you mean though. I really want an additional band to bling it up, maybe I'll upgrade my diamond one day, although I live in an area that 1/3 - 1/2 carat is average and anything above 3/4 is "huge" - even amongst health professionals. So who knows, give me a band on the other side and I'll be happy for now :)

when we are dentists, ill buy my own bling!

but yes I will update a photo of my precious...after i get home from work ;)

heres my bling!
btw I totally took a sonicar e to the diamond to make it shiny before taking a pic of it... lol jewelry cleaning with my electric toothbrush
halo2.PNG
halo1.PNG

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah now I feel bad, I got my husband a $20 ring off Amazon and promised him I'd get him a really nice one once we got rich lol. Looks like your man did such a good job on the first go around! So beautiful !

My wife has been great. We got married the summer before our senior year of college and she has always been ok with moving with me to dental school. She was an education major and we lucked out with her getting a job teaching 4th grade her first year out of school in a really competitive area for teachers. We were fortunate enough for me to get the 3 year Air Force health professions scholarship so our plan now is for my wife to work another year and then hopefully have kids soon and my wife will be able to stay home with them. I'm incredibly fortunate to have such a supportive wife while going through dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
significant other and I were ready to do long distance even though we are engaged. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about this now. She wants to attend her dream medschool and I just mostly wanted to go where it was cheaper. Fortunately, the costs of my dental school lowered significantly with some help and now we will live in the same city. Might even have some classes together during the first year. Got lucky with that. In four years, we will worry about this again as she is applying for residency and I'm looking for a job/applying to residency

My husband and I have been married, and he is going to support us while I go through school. I only have one in-state school close to my house, and luckily, I got accepted. I applied to other schools just to keep my options open, but if I didn't get accepted to my state school and even if I got accepted elsewhere, I probably would have re-applied. I love my husband more than anything, and four years apart is a really long time. My feeling is that nothing is worth more than your spouse, including going to dental school. Life is too short.

Id go with sapphire.

Just an FYI, and for mblue16 too......

A sapphire can be just as expensive if not more than a diamond per carat. You should go for the most vivid color saturation, and if it's for an engagement ring, avoid commercial-grade. Ceylon and Kashmir blue sapphires are fine examples.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, and for mblue16 too......

A sapphire can be just as expensive if not more than a diamond per carat. You should go for the most vivid color saturation, and if it's for an engagement ring, avoid commercial-grade. Ceylon and Kashmir blue sapphires are fine examples.

Thanks for the input. Will keep that in mind :)

True. For my wife's engagement ring I got her a 1 karat emerald ring with 2 diamonds on the side, and 18k white gold ring. I got it in Colombia since it is tradition. I appraised the ring here and they said it was as expensive as a diamond. Second of all in surprised of how much people pay here for that kind of stuff. The appraisal was 5 times higher than the price i paid back in Colombia for it. Anyways. Check out any gem setting with two diamonds on the side. They look awesome.

@MBlue16 Blue stones are my absolute favorite, too!! Have you ever looked at Tanzanite? It is my favorite stone.

I got my "precious" for graduation/Christmas. It was from my entire family.

Hope the phone upload works... I think it enlarges if you click it.

image.jpg

@MasterDental Try again... I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
@CleverThought I have always thought your ring was beautiful (and quite the carat size!).

I love classic rings, too... But I see intricate things I like as well! It will be so hard to settle on one. I really like a round brilliant solitaire with a knife-edge band... but on the other hand, I really like pear diamonds with small halos. (Nothing nearly as big as around my tanzanite.)

@dieanotherday He did awesome! And hey, I'll be buying myself bling once I have some money, too!

It is okay with me if this turns into a ring thread. :D I want to see more pictures!

@CleverThought I have always thought your ring was beautiful (and quite the carat size!).
Well thank you! My husband did a very good job! And just because I feel like it, I'm going to post a picture!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1395501588.673785.jpg

Now if only I can get a band on the other side!

@MBlue16 Blue stones are my absolute favorite, too!! Have you ever looked at Tanzanite? It is my favorite stone.

I got my "precious" for graduation/Christmas. It was from my entire family.

Hope the phone upload works... I think it enlarges if you click it.

View attachment 179438

@MasterDental Try again... I'd love to see it.

It has a hint of purple in it, huh?

Well thank you! My husband did a very good job! And just because I feel like it, I'm going to post a picture!

View attachment 179439

Now if only I can get a band on the other side!

Is this the kind of ring that can be stacked? (i.e. engagement ring + wedding ring). I love how it looks, btw.

It has a hint of purple in it, huh?

Is this the kind of ring that can be stacked? (i.e. engagement ring + wedding ring). I love how it looks, btw.
Yes it is. Right now it's the set of my wedding + engagement ring. The solitaire part being what was my engagement and the diamond band being added on my wedding day. A lot of people with solitaire rings do add a band to the other side too, just to balance it out and add the bling factor the engagement ring didn't have. Usually they get added for an anniversary or baby or hopefully in my case - just because :)

Yes it is. Right now it's the set of my wedding + engagement ring. The solitaire part being what was my engagement and the diamond band being added on my wedding day. A lot of people with solitaire rings do add a band to the other side too, just to balance it out and add the bling factor the engagement ring didn't have. Usually they get added for an anniversary or baby or hopefully in my case - just because :)

Got it! Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at this type of ring too. I think it is quite clever :)

For the men in this thread, get your degree, save and earn it:
DvwGFzU.jpg

^ Thanks, I was starting to feel guilty about breaking up with my ex-gf/being single after seeing all these shiny rings flying around lol

This is my dream "transportation" that I can't wait to get the second I become a dentist:
838628_1dc779a6dd80494d93edaad1b4d9152b.jpg_srz_p_447_328_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

heres my bling!
btw I totally took a sonicar e to the diamond to make it shiny before taking a pic of it... lol jewelry cleaning with my electric toothbrushView attachment 179407View attachment 179406

Beautiful ring! I'm grateful to have a wife who is an elementary school teacher. Fortunately she can teach in the city where I will be attending dental school. We're both super excited!

^ Thanks, I was starting to feel guilty about breaking up with my ex-gf/being single after seeing all these shiny rings flying around lol

HPSP? You'll have one of those beautiful machines well before your mid-thirties.

Be prudent and push for 'on-call' assignments so your hand skills don't linger.