Program-Specific Info / Q's Springfield College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations, RunnerGirl27!! I also received an acceptance email today and am so excited!!! Will you be attending? I am... Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@louisianaOT Congrats to you too!! As of right now I am planning on attending, although I am waiting to hear back from one more school. Will you be attending for sure?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure am!! Good luck with your last admissions decision!
Congrats to you both!! Would you guys mind posting your stats? I applied here and haven't heard anything yet (even regarding the "second phase")!

@cc15 Thanks!
I am a Bio major, minors in Psych & Public Health
Overall GPA 3.31, pre-req GPA ~3.8
Observation hrs: preschool, ARU & ICU
Additional volunteer hrs: elementary school, assisted living home, early intervention program

Good luck to you! If you have any more questions feel free to send a message!

I was accepted today!!! I am so excited :soexcited:. Congrats to everyone else that was accepted! I have nooo idea what area I am going to live in. I would love some suggestions regarding nearby towns to look at from other people planning to attend! I don't think I want to live in Springfield, but I need to go visit to be sure. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

I had an overall GPA of 3.45 and a 4.0 prerequisite GPA. I graduated college almost 4 years ago in an unrelated field although I did have a sociology minor. I had about 30 hours of observation in 2 settings. I want to work in pediatric OT and I had ton of volunteer hours with children. I have tutored extensively, taught English abroad, coached running, and worked at a summer camp. After college, I worked abroad for a while coordinating and leading community based and environmentally friendly tourism activities. I then worked at a clinical research organization for the past 2.5 years. I had personal exposure to OT through a family member. I feel like I am kind of a non-traditional applicant, but I tried to connect all of my experiences back to why I would make a great OT. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted yesterday via email.

I was also accepted :)!!

Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted! I have a pit in my stomach waiting..

Congrats to everyone accepted & good luck to those waiting to hear! Does anyone know when classes would start for the program? I know the stuff we get in the mail soon might have more info but I'm just super excited & can't wait!

OTCAS says September 7, but not sure if that's correct. I guess we have to wait to pay deposit til we receive our letter in the mail? that's how it seems

I believe school begins Sept 8, (the Tuesday after labor day)! Has anyone spoken to someone that is either currently in the program or previously graduated from it? I'm just curious how students like it!

Members don't see this ad :)
@OT33 thanks! & yes from the email it seems that we will have to wait. I was wondering if we could use our ID # in the email for anything before then, but I couldn't find anything on the website!

Not attending- hopefully one of you gets my seat!

Will anyone be attending the accepted students day? Also, I am from NJ and trying to figure out my housing situation!! Anyone else need housing??

I got my official letter today! I still have one or two prerequisites to take this summer I believe. I called admissions and they said the OT department will be mailing us additional information late this week or early next week. This will include a confirmation on prerequisites that must be finished. Also wondering when accepted students day is because I would like to try to attend!

Yes I would like to attend also!

In my mailed official letter it says it is Sunday April 26th and we will get a tour, meet faculty and what not. I am going! Hope to meet you there!!

Oh no! Of course that's the one day I have something important in the afternoon. I really want to go!

@hlauriza I have not! Does anyone know if we can still apply for housing before paying the deposit? I'm from NY & I'm not sure if it's best to get campus housing or find something else... any input on the best areas to live/best options would be appreciated! :)

It looks to be about 80k for the entire program, or did I do the math wrong?

I think that is about right? I paid my 200 yesterday over the phone. I'm not sure about housing, I emailed a resident life rep and haven't heard anything. I will be attending SC though so I need to figure out my housing situations!! I'll most likely need a roommate

Oh no! Of course that's the one day I have something important in the afternoon. I really want to go!

I called the OT department today and was told there will be one on Wednesday, May 6 as well! Hopefully that day works for you :). They also expect there will be a few during the summer, but they haven't scheduled them yet. I think I will plan to attend a summer one since I am out of state and will need to fly up.

I'll be in Jamaica for the May 6 one! But maybe I'll try and attend a different one in the summer .. It's a little rushed for me as well! Anyone from NJ??

I will most likely pay my 200$ this week. I will be commuting around 45 minutes to Springfield because I live in the Worc. Area. & want to save some money on housing. I feel like those of you whi are looking for housing should either do on campus housing or look for the surrounding town such as Long Meadow. Some of the areas of Springfield can be rough.

Does anyone know what time the open house is in the 26th?

I believe it says registration is at 11 or 12.. there are tours and then general graduate student information sessions at 1 and then department sessions at 2. I'll be there :)

:( I can't go. But I did just join the incoming student Facebook group!

I can't find the facebook! can you message me in here and help me find it?

No, and I think we're slated to hear back in March.

Would you guys mind posting your stats? From reading past years posts on this thread, it looks like this school is a little bit frustrating and maybe unclear when it comes to the admissions process. It isn't my top choice, but I'd still like to be accepted as my back up.

Total GPA: 3.8
Prerequisite GPA: 3.86
I completed all of the prerequisites and sent in my GRE scores even though they said it wasn't required. I have about 90 observation hours in 3 different settings (hand therapy, rehab/nursing clinic, and pediatrics), worked in the medical field for 6 years (as a CNA, medical assistant, and human resource coordinator). I also know that I have a strong personal statement. Ugh.... I hate waiting!

Would you guys mind posting your stats? From reading past years posts on this thread, it looks like this school is a little bit frustrating and maybe unclear when it comes to the admissions process. It isn't my top choice, but I'd still like to be accepted as my back up.

Total GPA: 3.8
Prerequisite GPA: 3.86
I completed all of the prerequisites and sent in my GRE scores even though they said it wasn't required. I have about 90 observation hours in 3 different settings (hand therapy, rehab/nursing clinic, and pediatrics), worked in the medical field for 6 years (as a CNA, medical assistant, and human resource coordinator). I also know that I have a strong personal statement. Ugh.... I hate waiting!

I'm just an applicant now, so I dunno. I think it said March on their website, but I'd have to double check. According to their website, the average GPA is a 3.5 and prereq is a 3.6, but that's probably a bit out of date. I'm sure you'll be fine.

So I was told by a friend that goes to Bay Path that there was a faculty that was well known for sensory integration and she left a few years ago. I have to wonder if Springfields ranking is partially inflated now that she's gone. Of course, there may be other interesting faculty that she just didn't know about!

Has anyone heard anything from this program for this cycle?

Yeah I received an e-mail from Springfield on Feb.10th saying that my application passed preliminary review and qualifies for further review. They want a $50 deposit within two weeks to continue the application process. Which I think is a load of bull, so I have not paid the money. (I was supposed to have paid by Feb. 24th). This probably means as more people decline this offer, they will send out more of these e-mails. So you guys should hear soon!

Yeah I received an e-mail from Springfield on Feb.10th saying that my application passed preliminary review and qualifies for further review. They want a $50 deposit within two weeks to continue the application process. Which I think is a load of bull, so I have not paid the money. (I was supposed to have paid by Feb. 24th). This probably means as more people decline this offer, they will send out more of these e-mails. So you guys should hear soon!

Received that same email and probably not going to send in the additional fee. I have to decide by tomorrow. I wonder how many total applicants actually get this email?

Received that same email and probably not going to send in the additional fee. I have to decide by tomorrow. I wonder how many total applicants actually get this email?
I feel like a lot of applicants get this e-mail. I'm under the impression that they just send this e-mail to everyone who meets the qualifications/is eligible to be in their program (i.e. has taken all of the prerequisites). That's why I said i think this message was a bunch of bull because it just seems like another way for the school to make money.

I emailed Springfield College a few questions and Anne Griffin got back to me. (The bold is my question)

"Thank you for your follow-up. Please see my responses below.
1.) How many students will be accepted and waitlisted for the fall? We will enroll 20-22 students this fall and it is too soon to determine if we will move to a waitlist or not.
2.) Is the cohort filled with mostly Springfield College students or from first time applicants, such as myself? The cohort of 20-22 newly entering graduate students will meet the rising cohort of 20-25 students who were admitted into the accelerated freshman entry dual degree bachelors/master's degree program. Of the newly entering graduate students a handful may be coming from Springfield College majors not part of the dual degree program.
3.) Lastly, how many students typically get past this first round of the application process? What is the additional $50 fee used for? We only request the fee from students who are truly being considered after a preliminary review that assesses academic standing, progress/pre-requisites, and previous experience in the field. The purpose of the fee is not to deter students but to solidify their applications with our specific institution. Please note that institutions do not benefit from the fee you initially paid to OTCAS."

So yeah, seems to me that they just want our money.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of applicants get this e-mail. I'm under the impression that they just send this e-mail to everyone who meets the qualifications/is eligible to be in their program (i.e. has taken all of the prerequisites). That's why I said i think this message was a bunch of bull because it just seems like another way for the school to make money.
Eh, I didn't get one last year, and I was definitely eligible. A friend of mine got into WashU (and we both got into Jeff) and not Springfield too, so I dunno what their deal is. (I'm still a little salty, haha).