St. Augustine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the order of difficulty for admission for the three programs; Florida...Texas...or San Marcos? Does anyone know a ballpark range for Prerequisite GPA and last 45? I have a 3.20 P and a 3.70 last 45 with an overall 3..4. I have a 300 GRE and 150 observation hours. I am only 20 and will graduate from UCSB a year early and want to go directly to DPT program. I am just wondering if I have good enough stats to be granted an interview? Any input would be welcomed:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply. The difficulty of admission is no different among the three campuses. The admissions department is in Florida and handles interviews for all three schools. Try to raise your pre-req GPA to a 3.5. Your last 45 looks good and your GRE is fine. Where did you get your observation hours?

Kevin

I would apply. The difficulty of admission is no different among the three campuses. The admissions department is in Florida and handles interviews for all three schools. Try to raise your pre-req GPA to a 3.5. Your last 45 looks good and your GRE is fine. Where did you get your observation hours?

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
In three settings; outpatient, inpatient, and at my university in the health center. Thanks for your input. if I am not offered an interview this cycle I will retake classes since I'm graduating early anyway. In your experience do you think I have a shot at getting an interview? And do you think my age will be a factor? I have worked in the campus daycare office throughout college, so I do have life experience. Thanks for your input,

In three settings; outpatient, inpatient, and at my university in the health center. Thanks for your input. if I am not offered an interview this cycle I will retake classes since I'm graduating early anyway. In your experience do you think I have a shot at getting an interview? And do you think my age will be a factor? I have worked in the campus daycare office throughout college, so I do have life experience. Thanks for your input,
I think the younger age shows that you did really well in school and knew your plan from the get go!

thanks; do you think P/ GPA will preclude interview invite? very nervous!

I'm pretty sure my pGPA is currently lower than yours (I'm in the process of re-taking A&P 2, Chem 1, and Physics 1 to fix that) and I got an invite and went to the Nov 22 interview.

I think your gpa is good but I hear they focus a lot on prereq gpa. But that doesn't mean you may not get an interview, I had a bad gre score and still got an interview !

Yeah if you go to the website, the only requirement that is mentioned for GPA is the pre-req
"A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 calculated on program prerequisites is preferred; however, the grade trend of the applicant will be considered."
But like everyone else said, definitely worth applying.
I applied last year and got rejected, retook some classes raised my GPA and got an interview for the summer cycle.

I'm pretty sure my pGPA is currently lower than yours (I'm in the process of re-taking A&P 2, Chem 1, and Physics 1 to fix that) and I got an invite and went to the Nov 22 interview.

Thanks! How was your interview?

Yeah if you go to the website, the only requirement that is mentioned for GPA is the pre-req
"A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 calculated on program prerequisites is preferred; however, the grade trend of the applicant will be considered."
But like everyone else said, definitely worth applying.
I applied last year and got rejected, retook some classes raised my GPA and got an interview for the summer cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
great info; If you don't mind me asking, what did you raise your pre-req too? And did they provide you any feedback when you did not get an interview the first time?

Thanks! How was your interview?

It went really well, thanks! I felt great about it, which is pretty rare for me with interviews. Hopefully we'll hear in the next few days and I'll get the news I'm kind of expecting! :xf:
By the way, I just did the math, and unless I made some stupid error, my pGPA is a 3.06 with my current grades. My cGPA is almost exactly the same (with replacements; without replacements it's a hair under 3.0), and my last 45 gives me a 3.3 or so. Hopefully my high GRE scores, great LoRs, and various volunteer hours make up for it in their eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my pre-req GPA from a measly 2.85 (what they calculated) to a 3.45, and I just retook Physics II which should bring me to about a 3.55.
No they did not, but I knew the reason had to be my GPA so I was already enrolled to retake some classes. I was not even aware my GPA was calculated that low until
I emailed them in August as I was preparing to apply and they told me what it had been calculated at.

I took my pre-req GPA from a measly 2.85 (what they calculated) to a 3.45, and I just retook Physics II which should bring me to about a 3.55.
No they did not, but I knew the reason had to be my GPA so I was already enrolled to retake some classes. I was not even aware my GPA was calculated that low until
I emailed them in August as I was preparing to apply and they told me what it had been calculated at.

Did you get a letter or email the first time saying you would not get an interview?

Did you get a letter or email the first time saying you would not get an interview?
FYI, you can write your response to the message you're quoting in the same text box so you don't have make two separate posts every time you reply to someone. Just click into the text box below the quote.

FYI, you can write your response to the message you're quoting in the same text box so you don't have make two separate posts every time you reply to someone. Just click into the text box below the quote.

I think your gpa is good but I hear they focus a lot on prereq gpa. But that doesn't mean you may not get an interview, I had a bad gre score and still got an interview !
Cammmiam, would you mind to tell what GRE score you had?

it was a 293 and USA recommends a 294

Potential stupid question alert--->Was this your gre score for this application cycle or a previous?

The only reason I ask is because I applied with that gre last year and got denied and was told to raise it.

Potential stupid question alert--->Was this your gre score for this application cycle or a previous?

The only reason I ask is because I applied with that gre last year and got denied and was told to raise it.
this cycle! did you get an interview when you got denied? my friend got in last spring with 10 below their recommendation. i even tried retaking the GRE and i improved by one or two points, ha

Does anyone have any idea why USA is so much less competitive than all other CA schools? Is something wrong with it? :)

Does anyone have any idea why USA is so much less competitive than all other CA schools? Is something wrong with it? :)
I'd guess it's because they have three campuses, each of which takes ~50 students three times a year. That's an intake of ~450 students a year, as opposed to the 15-50 students other schools take. Makes a big difference. Additionally, they're not on PTCAS, so they likely get less applications for many more available seats.

edit: Look at their pass rates and graduation statistics. They're right on par with where they should be. So no, nothing wrong with it :)

Last edited:

Why do you say it's less competitive? Each campus gets between 500-800 applications, depending on the term. The fall and summer classes are particularly competitive.

i did for may 2014 and my friend got accepted for the spring 2013
It went really well, thanks! I felt great about it, which is pretty rare for me with interviews. Hopefully we'll hear in the next few days and I'll get the news I'm kind of expecting! :xf:
By the way, I just did the math, and unless I made some stupid error, my pGPA is a 3.06 with my current grades. My cGPA is almost exactly the same (with replacements; without replacements it's a hair under 3.0), and my last 45 gives me a 3.3 or so. Hopefully my high GRE scores, great LoRs, and various volunteer hours make up for it in their eyes.

Do you mind sharing your GRE score? Have you applied to any other programs?

Do you mind sharing your GRE score? Have you applied to any other programs?
158 V, 161 Q, 5.0 writing. I went a bit crazy and applied to 18 programs in total because I knew my GPA would make it really difficult for me to get in and I wanted to make sure I got accepted somewhere. I've so far gotten four rejections, one acceptance to a fantastic program that I'm very excited about, waiting to hear back from USA from my 11/22 interview, and I have a Skype interview with another program tomorrow. The rest of the programs have yet to contact me.

thats
158 V, 161 Q, 5.0 writing. I went a bit crazy and applied to 18 programs in total because I knew my GPA would make it really difficult for me to get in and I wanted to make sure I got accepted somewhere. I've so far gotten four rejections, one acceptance to a fantastic program that I'm very excited about, waiting to hear back from USA from my 11/22 interview, and I have a Skype interview with another program tomorrow. The rest of the programs have yet to contact me.[/quote

that's an awesome score! which program did you get accepted to?
I have applied to MSMC, NAU, Western, and USA; no news on any yet

that's an awesome score; where have you been accepted?

that's an awesome score! which program did you get accepted to?
I have applied to MSMC, NAU, Western, and USA; no news on any yet
Thanks! Angelo State University in San Angelo, Texas - I got in via early admission. I absolutely love everything about the program - the way the curriculum is set up, the small class size, the slight emphasis on neuro. Their graduation rate is good and their NPTE pass rates are fantastic. They have a scholarship set up which triggers a Texan law that if you have X amount of money in scholarships, you get in-state tuition, so it's extremely inexpensive, which is a lifesaver. My only concern is that I've recently developed a lot of trouble tolerating hot weather, and they had 100 days over 100 degrees last year... it's come with a lot of other medical problems, which I'm hoping to resolve in the next few months so hopefully that will no longer be an issue.

I also applied to MSMC and Western and haven't heard from either program for some reason - people that have applied over a month after me heard already (see the thread entitled California Applicants), which is weird to me since they're rolling admissions. The same thing's happened to me with UNE, Mercer, Touro, and I think maybe LIU and Columbia. It's a bit concerning but at least it's not a rejection? heh

I have a good friend who lives there and she loves it; congrats! This is my first time applying and I did not realize how competitive the programs are, If I don't get in this cycle; I will definitely go the ED route

I have a good friend who lives there and she loves it; congrats! This is my first time applying and I did not realize how competitive the programs are, If I don't get in this cycle; I will definitely go the ED route
Thanks! I was in the same boat a year ago. I applied to some schools in the NYC area at the very last minute and hoped it would work out. I got waitlisted at Seton Hall and rejected from everywhere else. I'm sure at least USA will work out for you and you won't have to reapply :) it's great that you know what you want to do so early, I wish I had.
BTW, in answer to your original question - I've heard Austin is least competitive because it's newest, San Marcos middle because it's more expensive and in an area with high cost of living, and Florida most competitive.

I'd guess it's because they have three campuses, each of which takes ~50 students three times a year. That's an intake of ~450 students a year, as opposed to the 15-50 students other schools take. Makes a big difference. Additionally, they're not on PTCAS, so they likely get less applications for many more available seats.

edit: Look at their pass rates and graduation statistics. They're right on par with where they should be. So no, nothing wrong with it :)

That's a good point! Yes, I saw their stats; they are actually better than stats of some more competitive schools:).

Why do you say it's less competitive? Each campus gets between 500-800 applications, depending on the term. The fall and summer classes are particularly competitive.

I actually asked the admissions how many applicants they had during the last cycles and how many were accepted, but they said they did not disclose that information, so I had no idea about those numbers. Thanks for sharing! It also sounds like they accept people with lower stats than other schools (I can compare only with LA schools though).

That's a good point! Yes, I saw their stats; they are actually better than stats of some more competitive schools:).
I actually asked the admissions how many applicants they had during the last cycles and how many were accepted, but they said they did not disclose that information, so I had no idea about those numbers. Thanks for sharing! It also sounds like they accept people with lower stats than other schools (I can compare only with LA schools though).

I don't necessarily think that is the case, because they are a private school they are much more expensive then an in-state school. So if you have a very high GPA and get accepted to a school where tuition is cheaper, most people will choose the less expensive school. But I still believe that their average accepted GPA is around 3.5, which is on par with the the PTCAS average which was released a few weeks a go.

lmw, I just got accepted to San Marcos campus of USA :) hopefully that'll make you feel a little bit better about your chances!

lmw, I just got accepted to San Marcos campus of USA :) hopefully that'll make you feel a little bit better about your chances!
that's great news;congrats and I do feel better:)

Does anyone know how long St. Augustine hold transcripts? I applied back in 2015 was interviewed. I wondering if St. Augustine can pull my previous transcripts from my previous application to upload to my summer 2018 application