St Elizabeths Hospital (Washington DC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SEHPsychDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please see post below for updated information

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Since their website is down and not much information is out there on the web, I will try to post as much information as I can for anyone that is interested. I do not officially represent the program, but I want to provide some information for the upcoming application cycle. Questions posted and answered under this thread will be edited into this first post for ease of navigation.

St Elizabeths hospital is one of the oldest mental health hospitals in the United States and currently part of the DC Department of Behavioral Health (DBH). The hospital itself has a large forensic operation with a forensic fellowship but also helps meet other mental health needs of the local community. This teaching hospital has psychiatry, psychology, dental, and chaplain residency programs as well as medical students that rotate through their services.

General information
Positions
PGY-1 = 8
Traditional/transitional year into PGY2: considered
ACGME Accredited program
IMG Residents: Yes
DO Residents: Yes
COMLEX accepted: Yes

Work schedule
Average hours per week (not on medicine): 45
Average 24 hour off duty periods: 1.75
Allows moonlighting: Start of 3rd year American Grad, 4th year IMG
Moonlight opportunities: within program offered, external avalible based on licensing.
Night float system (Not on first year): Yes

Education
Avg Hours of lectures and conferences first year: 9
Outpatient training first year: No
Formal mentoring program: Yes
PRITE exams: Yes

Employment
Salary PGY-1: ~50600
Book allowance: 300
On call allowance: 1000
Sick leave: Accrued at 4 hours every two weeks
Vacation leave: Accrued at 4 hours every two weeks
Conferance leave: 5 days
Laptops provided for residents: Yes
Medical insurance for residents: Resident shares cost
Medical insruance for dependents: Resident shares cost
Group life insurance: Employer covers basic, additional coverage available for private purchase
Dental Insurance: Employer covers basic, additional coverage available for private purchase
Vision Insurance: Employer covers basic, additional coverage available for private purchase
Disability Insurance: Optional, coverage available for private purchase
Medical Insurance Begins: July 1st

Rotation Sites and Affiliations
VA Medical Center
Providence Hospital
Prince George Hospital
Children's National Medical Center
Georgetown University Hospital
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Washington School of Psychiatry
University of the District of Columbia

Rotations offered
Forensic Psych
Emergency psych
Inpatient general psych
Community psych
Geriatrics
Addiction
C&L
etc.

Thank you for your informative post.

I have been curious about this program and had thus far found very little information.
The website is finally up (sort of), but again is limited.

I am especially concerned with the SALARY.
The site states PGY-1 $46300. (old information?)
You mention PGY-1 $50600.
Both figures seem quite low to me. It's DC!

GW PGY-1 $56800 and Georgetown PGY-1 $56000.
These salaries seem more like it.
And even then it could be argued that it'd be tough to stretch.

Does Saint Elizabeth's offer other benefits, such as housing?

Thanks

Hey guys its a new year and we are back online for questions! This has been updated to reflect changes to the program. Post here for any questions you may have.

General information

Positions
PGY-1 = 8
2021: AMG: 4; DO: 1; IMG: 3
2020: AMG: 4; DO: 2; IMG: 3
Traditional/transitional year into PGY2: considered
ACGME Accredited program
IMG Residents: Yes
DO Residents: Yes
COMLEX accepted: Yes

Work schedule
Average hours per week (not on medicine): 45
Average 24 hour off duty periods: 1.75
Allows moonlighting: Start of 3rd year American Grad, 4th year IMG
Moonlight opportunities: within program offered, external avalible based on licensing.
Night float system (Not on first year): Yes

Education
Avg Hours of lectures and conferences first year: 9
Outpatient training first year: No
Formal mentoring program: Yes
PRITE exams: Yes

Employment
Salary PGY-1: Expected $53,211.36
Book allowance: $300
On call allowance: $1000
Sick leave: Accrued at 4 hours every two weeks
Vacation leave: Accrued at 4 hours every two weeks
Conference leave: 5 days
Admin leave (tests, etc.): 10 days
Laptops provided for residents: Yes
Medical insurance for residents: Resident shares cost
Medical insruance for dependents: Resident shares cost
Group life insurance: Employer covers basic, additional coverage available for private purchase
Dental Insurance: Employer covers basic, additional coverage available for private purchase
Vision Insurance: Employer covers basic, additional coverage available for private purchase
Disability Insurance: Optional, coverage available for private purchase
Medical Insurance Begins: July 1st

Rotation Sites and Affiliations
VA Medical Center
Providence Hospital (IM & CL)
Prince George Hospital (IM)
Children's National Medical Center
Georgetown University Hospital
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Washington School of Psychiatry
University of the District of Columbia

Rotations offered
Forensic Psych
Emergency psych
Inpatient general psych
Community psych
Geriatrics
Addiction
C&L
etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what their average step scores are? Freida has them at 240?

Any updates for this year? I still see 46k listed as pgy1 salary and was offered an interview but might turn it down because that's absurd for DC.

Edit: Info was outdated. I declined the interview anyway. Too tired to travel at this point.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any other programs (I'm sure they exist but are in the extreme minority) that require residents to accrue vacation and this number is extremely low. This means you would have to work 5 months to be able to take a week off. It is also a massive red flag to have residents accrue sick leave. In the "real world" accrual is the norm but there are very good reasons this is not and should not apply to resident physicians. Based on this highly irregular practice, and the meagre vacation and sick leave allowance, I would say this definitely falls into the "Avoid" category unless you have no other options.
I feel like every program I've interviewed has similar wording for their vacation time. I guess I never paid much attention to it cuz the residents still seem to imply they have adequate vacation time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I feel like every program I've interviewed has similar wording for their vacation time. I guess I never paid much attention to it cuz the residents still seem to imply they have adequate vacation time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

0/10 of the places I interviewed when I went through the process in 2016 based their vacation or sick time on accrual.

Yeah, I haven't seen this anywhere else either. From what I was seeing in the paperwork, it looks like this isn't really enforced in the way that it's written? I wonder if it's because it's a federal program and contract that they have to do this.

I think the history and facilities at St. E's are incredible and their patient population is probably unlike anything else in most programs. I just realized that I needed to be at a more academic minded program.

To those wondering about this, you get updated information through eras when you are offered an interview. I might see if I can attach some of that here if it doesn't break any policy. I can't see why it would... Hopefully this helps someone. I really hope someone else can take the spot I was offered!

Their website looks like it's super old. PGY 1 Salary is a few K higher in the stuff I was sent vs what they have displayed there. I was shocked to see it listed in the 40's on their site. That would have sucked in DC.

Attachments

• CIR Compensation Agreement FY17-19.pdf
    375.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Salary & Benefits 18-19.pdf
    37.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Policies and guidelines for the psychiatry residency training program.pdf
    170.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Draft Contract.pdf
    225.6 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: 1 user