St George c/o 2019 applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowIMetYourPet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here applying to SGU this cycle?
I'm sure I'm not the only one!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm headed down there in about three weeks! If any of you have questions about the application process let me know! I can also answer questions about the school later on down the road :)

I'm headed down there in about three weeks! If any of you have questions about the application process let me know! I can also answer questions about the school later on down the road :)
woohoo congrats! try to live and love every moment you're there, its a really special place if you can find it within yourself to see the beauty! you will miss it like crazy when you leave! and just remember, vet school has a lot of sucky times, but you can go stand on the beach at ANY time where as most vet students are stuck with nasty cold weather and snow most of the school year ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
woohoo congrats! try to live and love every moment you're there, its a really special place if you can find it within yourself to see the beauty! you will miss it like crazy when you leave! and just remember, vet school has a lot of sucky times, but you can go stand on the beach at ANY time where as most vet students are stuck with nasty cold weather and snow most of the school year ;)

Haha thanks jmo! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out right now about the big move, but I'm also excited for the adventure :)

Haha thanks jmo! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out right now about the big move, but I'm also excited for the adventure :)
its a HUGE move for sure. lots of stress and things to get done, particularly because you wont be able to get much on the island. however, you'd be surprised how nice it feels to live on so little. and compared to the locals, we have so much. when i left, i gave away all my stuff (i sold a few items back to students because it was specific stuff), but i gave the rest away to my local friends just knowing that they would have so much more appreciation for the gesture and would get the very most out of stuff. grenada is certainly an adventure!

Cat-watching-snow.gif

Reactions: 1 user

I'm trying to figure out how I would have been able to survive last term without some of the beautiful things in this video!
I think that it's the only reason I stayed sane...the people, the animals, and beautiful beaches!

I'm trying to figure out how I would have been able to survive last term without some of the beautiful things in this video!
I think that it's the only reason I stayed sane...the people, the animals, and beautiful beaches!

Hi future classmate!

the people kept you sane?? you're a weirdo ;) only island students can appreciate this though haha

the people kept you sane?? you're a weirdo ;) only island students can appreciate this though haha

Haha, by people, I think I meant more so my classmates (some of them)!
Things (and people) that are on "island time" can definitely stress me out and test my sanity at times...Can't be too bad though because I actually do miss the island...a little!

I am applying!! I do have a question for any past grads or current students though. Has anyone taken their dog with them? I am from Canada and I REALLY want to take my dog down with me but not sure how I could possibly do that as most airlines will not allow dogs in cargo during the times I would be flying (to cold at xmas and to hot in May..). It is the only thing that is stressing me out about applying the SGU.

I am applying!! I do have a question for any past grads or current students though. Has anyone taken their dog with them? I am from Canada and I REALLY want to take my dog down with me but not sure how I could possibly do that as most airlines will not allow dogs in cargo during the times I would be flying (to cold at xmas and to hot in May..). It is the only thing that is stressing me out about applying the SGU.

It's possible ;) Current students can let you know how they get around this, they make it work so that they can take their dogs on the planes with them. I'll be doing it for spring semester, I'm flying Air Canada down there this coming semester and they're weirder about this than other airlines so that's something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm assuming its a big dog?

I have a similar question, but my dogs are 10-15lbs (I'd hope to bring two) .... They're Havanese (a Cuban breed) so I know they'd adapt well to the weather ;)
Smaller dogs can ride in cabin as "carry ons" on most domestic flights, I wonder how it would work on an international-to Grenada-flight....

I'm assuming its a big dog?

I have a similar question, but my dogs are 10-15lbs (I'd hope to bring two) .... They're Havanese (a Cuban breed) so I know they'd adapt well to the weather ;)
Smaller dogs can ride in cabin as "carry ons" on most domestic flights, I wonder how it would work on an international-to Grenada-flight....

I'm pretty sure you can still take small dogs in the cabin. It's the big dogs that become an issue for us

(for backstory, I have show dogs, which is why we were flying to NY with dogs) So I remember when my friends and I would fly to NY for Westminster, my friend that had a large dog (An English Setter) actually managed to get her dog in cabin....granted, she was already a certified therapy dog, but she got her service dog license, and was actually able to fly the setter in cabin, in the seat next to her (the extra ticket was no more expensive than shipping her under cabin)...this was YEARS ago, and I have no idea how that worked, but it may be worth checking out?

(for backstory, I have show dogs, which is why we were flying to NY with dogs) So I remember when my friends and I would fly to NY for Westminster, my friend that had a large dog (An English Setter) actually managed to get her dog in cabin....granted, she was already a certified therapy dog, but she got her service dog license, and was actually able to fly the setter in cabin, in the seat next to her (the extra ticket was no more expensive than shipping her under cabin)...this was YEARS ago, and I have no idea how that worked, but it may be worth checking out?

Yes, service dogs and ESA (emotional stress and anxiety) dogs are allowed in the cabins.

Yes, service dogs and ESA (emotional stress and anxiety) dogs are allowed in the cabins.
That being said, there is a lot of abuse of this system. Please do not get your dog certified as a therapy dog just to get them allowed in the cabin.

That being said, there is a lot of abuse of this system. Please do not get your dog certified as a therapy dog just to get them allowed in the cabin.
it is also illegal to register your dog as a service animal without true medical need, and you risk paying hefty fines for it

Sorry guys, I should clarify, I wasn't trying to have anyone cheat the system, just showing one example of larger dogs flying in-cabin..... I should have clarified in saying, since there are some exceptions, maybe you could find another way for you that could prevent having to ship...

Allygator 13 & kdonalds, how are you affording to go to school internationally from Canada?

Allygator 13 & kdonalds, how are you affording to go to school internationally from Canada?

I am actually from Virginia, I'm a US citizen. I just booked my tickets down late so I have a layover in Toronto

Sorry guys, I should clarify, I wasn't trying to have anyone cheat the system, just showing one example of larger dogs flying in-cabin..... I should have clarified in saying, since there are some exceptions, maybe you could find another way for you that could prevent having to ship...
i know exactly what you mean, you're welcome to PM me for my take as I had dogs that flew with me :) i'm just throwing it out there that there can be legal ramifications for some of the angles students choose to take

Willotree,
With much difficulty. It is doable but I would be graduating with approx $200k in debt. My parents are a HUGE help to me and will pay for as much as they can, I spoke to an SGU representative and they said that they try very hard to give especially canadian students special scholarships since we are unable to get the government assistance that US students can get, and to cover the rest loans from the bank. I have graduated my undergrad debt free and am currently working and saving every penny. I am still applying to OVC next year as well and am hoping to stay in my country but if they won't let me in I will go elsewhere. This is the only career path for me, I have worked in my local clinic for 7 years, doing just about everything, and my boss is planning on me taking it over from her when I graduate. I love my job and throughly enjoy going to it everyday, even the 14 hour ones, and due to this I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

Anyone else have their interview yet? I had mine last Monday. I feel like it went well. Just feel like a nervous ball of anxiety!

Nope. I still have to submit my supplemental....I just need to write that pesky diversity statement...

Nope. I'm most definitely not a special snowflake hahahaha

How long after you submitted everything did you get an interview?

I submitted my supplemental app in early September, and I think it took about 2 weeks for them to get back to me. I was definitely not expecting to hear back that early. They emailed me on the 16th with the name/email address of the DVM I would be interviewing with, I contacted them, met on the 22nd. Was a very pleasant experience overall, definitely dispelled any qualms I had with leaving 'Murca for the islands since I've never actually been anywhere remotely near the Caribbean.

I submitted my supplemental app in early September, and I think it took about 2 weeks for them to get back to me. I was definitely not expecting to hear back that early. They emailed me on the 16th with the name/email address of the DVM I would be interviewing with, I contacted them, met on the 22nd. Was a very pleasant experience overall, definitely dispelled any qualms I had with leaving 'Murca for the islands since I've never actually been anywhere remotely near the Caribbean.
Would you mind talking more about your interview process? I am applying to St. George's University as well. Was there anything you did not expect to be asked or do? Thanks!

Started off writing a short essay, was given three topics, told to choose one. Worked on that for about 15 minutes. Then my interviewer came in the room. It was pretty laid back, she was very nice and professional. We talked about common "what would you do if..." things that occur in vet med, she asked me questions about how comfortable I felt living away from civilization for some time, things like that. I had a lot of questions about life on the island, and she was really great about answering everything.

Started off writing a short essay, was given three topics, told to choose one. Worked on that for about 15 minutes. Then my interviewer came in the room. It was pretty laid back, she was very nice and professional. We talked about common "what would you do if..." things that occur in vet med, she asked me questions about how comfortable I felt living away from civilization for some time, things like that. I had a lot of questions about life on the island, and she was really great about answering everything.

LOL living away from civilization... I wouldn't be that dramatic about it ;)

Haha you know what I mean. SGU and NYC are different enough! ;)

Does anyone mind sharing what sorts of topics and things they included in their diversity essay? It's pretty vague and general. Diversity associated with background? Personality? Life experiences? Cultural? Work experiences? I'm stuck :(. Guess I'm not that interesting.....

Does anyone mind sharing what sorts of topics and things they included in their diversity essay? It's pretty vague and general. Diversity associated with background? Personality? Life experiences? Cultural? Work experiences? I'm stuck :(. Guess I'm not that interesting.....

Anything you want! What makes you unique? There's got to be something :)

I talked about my family's immigration from Ukraine, being raised in Ukrainian culture, and how I use my upbringing to help me at the emergency hospital where I work. Lots of people with language barriers and I'm the only one who can translate. They seemed to like it, I think.

I talked about my family's immigration from Ukraine, being raised in Ukrainian culture, and how I use my upbringing to help me at the emergency hospital where I work. Lots of people with language barriers and I'm the only one who can translate. They seemed to like it, I think.

That sounds like an amazing and admirable story. I am a 25 year-old female that was born and raised in So Cal without having ventured out much. The only thing that may be worth mentioning is my veterinary experience as I have a great deal of hours accumulated, ~13,000 hours. Is this unique enough?

If you feel that that's what makes you unique, I don't think they can say "No, that doesn't make you unique". It's a pretty subjective thing, I think. But that is a lot of hours! You can also talk about what unique contributions you bring to your practice - are you super good at relating to clients? Are you really effective at low-stress handling of really nervous patients? Does that make sense? :)

Yes it does! Thank you for the insight! Guess I never thought of it that way :)

On a different topic, does anyone know what SGUs Vet Foundation program is or where I can find out more info about it? I don't see anything related to it on the website..

Yes it does! Thank you for the insight! Guess I never thought of it that way :)

On a different topic, does anyone know what SGUs Vet Foundation program is or where I can find out more info about it? I don't see anything related to it on the website..

It's a program for people who may have had low GPAs or had taken their pre-requisites many years ago, so the school just kind of wants to make sure that they can handle the rigor of vet school. It's for one term, and you take things like anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and biochemistry. A good number of people in my class were in Foundations last term, I could put you in contact with one of them if you want!

For those this applies to (and even those that it doesn't but want to add input) how did you handle the "personal history" questions on the supplemental? (specifically the physical, mental, emotional and/or learning disabilities). I want to be honest but at the same time I don't want it to be something that will negatively effect my chances of gaining acceptance.

It's a program for people who may have had low GPAs or had taken their pre-requisites many years ago, so the school just kind of wants to make sure that they can handle the rigor of vet school. It's for one term, and you take things like anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and biochemistry. A good number of people in my class were in Foundations last term, I could put you in contact with one of them if you want!

That would be great! I really really appreciate it! Do you know how it works in terms of choosing to go that route? Like if you get a rejection you can opt for the foundations or will they automatically offer it to you?

That would be great! I really really appreciate it! Do you know how it works in terms of choosing to go that route? Like if you get a rejection you can opt for the foundations or will they automatically offer it to you?

I think they automatically offer it to you after your interview and stuff. I'll PM you :)

For those this applies to (and even those that it doesn't but want to add input) how did you handle the "personal history" questions on the supplemental? (specifically the physical, mental, emotional and/or learning disabilities). I want to be honest but at the same time I don't want it to be something that will negatively effect my chances of gaining acceptance.

I think if you have documented diagnostic findings of such in your med history and/or take meds for it, then you should probably tell the truth because I think when an applicant gets admitted, SGU asks for a med history and PE upon beginning classes (maybe someone who knows could clarify or correct me if im wrong).

I also do not think any of these reasons should affect your admissions decision, granted they like you on paper and all that good stuff.

I felt that I was in a similar position as you. I am a white middle class citizen who hasn't really had any hardships or very diverse situations. Instead of writing about ethnicity, poverty, or extreme circumstances (which I have not really encountered) I wrote about activities I do, my personal qualities, and interest that make me the person I am.

Hey Guys! I am applying for August 2015 class. I finished all my application, and just got a phone call asking if I had any question about application process. I read that some people already had their interviews, are you guys applying for January class? I thought it was a bit early. And do you guys know if SGU has certain period of dates of interviews? like some schools have between December and February that kind of stuff, but I feel like SGU doesn't have that?

I'm applying for August 2015 as well and I had my interview two weeks ago (ish). I don't know how many waves of interviews they send out, but I did submit my vmcas & SGU supplemental app very early on. I have two friends who just submitted their things recently and they're still awaiting verification. Hope this helps!

I'm applying for August 2015 as well and I had my interview two weeks ago (ish). I don't know how many waves of interviews they send out, but I did submit my vmcas & SGU supplemental app very early on. I have two friends who just submitted their things recently and they're still awaiting verification. Hope this helps!
WOw that's very early! I really hope this school can be the first one I can hear from! Did you have an interview near where you live? I live in Canada, and I have no idea how it is going to work :( I hope you don't mind me asking

WOw that's very early! I really hope this school can be the first one I can hear from! Did you have an interview near where you live? I live in Canada, and I have no idea how it is going to work :( I hope you don't mind me asking

Hey! Just wanted to let you know, I got my acceptance from SGU last year in October! So if you get your stuff submitted early on, you can hear back early as well since they have rolling admissions. As far as interviewing if there is nowhere nearby, they will do either a Skype interview (I did mine over Skype) or they will have someone who lives close to you that is associated with the school somehow (maybe alumni, faculty, whatever) meet up with you somewhere fairly close for your interview

Reactions: 1 users