St George c/o 2019 applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email on Friday about receiving the Legacy of Excellence Scholarship so ~2 weeks after my acceptance

Congrats! That's crazy, they must have just been extra slow for us or something :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! That's crazy, they must have just been extra slow for us or something :p
Yeah, I was not expecting it at all. When I first got the emailed I assumed it was just telling me some information about it...

I got my scholarship email the same day as my acceptance. I don't know about sending the transcripts, I'm waiting on my finals, eek.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys!!! Tomorrow will be 3 weeks from my interview date, so I'm hoping I hear something soon too!!!

I know you will!!!!! :kiss:

hmm i was hoping you'd know ;)

if they do, its not because they're local (i.e. they'll be crazy expensive).are they important to you?

Haha, just wondering because I eat dates like everyday to keep from baked goods, candy etc. I think I'm addicted, hahaha. Thanks for your help! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on everyone who was accepted! I just had my interview today LOL.
So I'll be waiting impatiently for the next 3 weeks or so:heckyeah:. I hope I hear good news.
Cheers.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, just wondering because I eat dates like everyday to keep from baked goods, candy etc. I think I'm addicted, hahaha. Thanks for your help! :p
Hey can I ask you about your scholarship?
I am still a junior (3rd year university student) and still have to finish taking Bioche before I go to SGU next Fall!
I wasn't granted any scholarship but I was hoping to get one but I wonder I have to finish taking pre-requistes first...
Do you mind me asking what was your grade average so that I have general idea of if can get a scholarship or not?

Hey can I ask you about your scholarship?
I am still a junior (3rd year university student) and still have to finish taking Bioche before I go to SGU next Fall!
I wasn't granted any scholarship but I was hoping to get one but I wonder I have to finish taking pre-requistes first...
Do you mind me asking what was your grade average so that I have general idea of if can get a scholarship or not?

Hey, there are two different legacy scholarships. They have the information on their website but I don't think I got it because of my GPA haha. I also still have not taken Biochem I have that course and physics 2 planned for spring. My VMCAS GPA was 3.69 but I don't know if SGU does a different calculation. I think the scholarship I got had to do with my hours of experience and not my GPA though. Check out the website :) I'm sure you'll get the email soon for it!

Hey, there are two different legacy scholarships. They have the information on their website but I don't think I got it because of my GPA haha. I also still have not taken Biochem I have that course and physics 2 planned for spring. My VMCAS GPA was 3.69 but I don't know if SGU does a different calculation. I think the scholarship I got had to do with my hours of experience and not my GPA though. Check out the website :) I'm sure you'll get the email soon for it!
Thanks! I do need Physics 2 as well haha I totally forgot :) Thanks anyway I will wait and ask them later

Got an interview! Will be conducting it by Skype at a to be determined date. What types of questions should I be prepared for? Any overall tips? I'm kind of nervous as I've never done a Skype interview before..

Reactions: 1 users
Just had my interview for the VFP for August 2015! It went well, but he said because it's "so early" for next fall, it may take a couple of months to hear anything, which kind of makes me nervous :(

So.... I think it just finally sunk in today..... IM GUNNA BE A VET!!!

I'm still so preoccupied with other interviews and what not, but I've realized, I need to start planning!!

So are you guys doing anything to plan for the move yet?

So.... I think it just finally sunk in today..... IM GUNNA BE A VET!!!
there were many moments in 1st year where i'd catch a look in the mirror and be like hehehe i'm gonna be a vet!! and then school beats you down and you get used to it, so enjoy the warm fuzzies!

now its more like "in less than 6 months, i'm gonna be a vet! :scared: oh goodness, what are they thinking?! i'm not ready for this! i'm not nearly smart enough to have this kind of responsibility!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:scared:" hehe ;)

Reactions: 2 users
So, jmo.... what would you suggest we do now to prepare?

also, do student loans come in in time to book our first flight down there?

So, jmo.... what would you suggest we do now to prepare?

also, do student loans come in in time to book our first flight down there?
to prepare for moving? maybe idly start making a list of things to bring at some point. invest in light weight but heavy duty suitcases. make sure your passport is current (or get one if needed).

pretty sure loans will not be around in time to cover the flight :-/ the further in advanced you book, the "better" the price and options will be (they will still suck regardless because everyone older than you has booked a loooooooooog time ago at this point).

Just had my interview for the VFP for August 2015! It went well, but he said because it's "so early" for next fall, it may take a couple of months to hear anything, which kind of makes me nervous :(
Have you heard back from your VFP interview?

Has anyone found the facebook group for accepted students SGU said would be up in the acceptance email?

Sorry for the delay, I just created it tonight, and will send invites out tomorrow. Congratulations to all who have been accepted

Has anyone found the facebook group for accepted students SGU said would be up in the acceptance email?

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for the delay, I just created it tonight, and will send invites out tomorrow. Congratulations to all who have been accepted

Had to make a facebook just to join this group, haha. Look forward to chatting with everyone :3

Had to make a facebook just to join this group, haha. Look forward to chatting with everyone :3
you should definitely keep up with facebook now - students communicate A TON through facebook at sgu. there are always a few that refuse or dont want to, but trust me when i say you will absolutely miss out on important announcements and fun things as well

you should definitely keep up with facebook now - students communicate A TON through facebook at sgu. there are always a few that refuse or dont want to, but trust me when i say you will absolutely miss out on important announcements and fun things as well

Yeah, I had to get rid of my actual facebook for some safety issues. Thanks for the tip :)

Anyone know if its best to book flights as one way or round trip? I heard that financial aid the first time around won't be done in time to really book flights in advance so I'm just trying to plan as far ahead as possible.

Anyone know if its best to book flights as one way or round trip? I heard that financial aid the first time around won't be done in time to really book flights in advance so I'm just trying to plan as far ahead as possible.

Roundtrip is generally cheaper in the long run

When you say round trip how far in advance do you mean you will get your return ticket? I didn't even think about which I should book /: also are you in the facebook group?

When you say round trip how far in advance do you mean you will get your return ticket? I didn't even think about which I should book /: also are you in the facebook group?

I bought my return ticket way far in advance last semester. I think I actually bought it in summer at the same time as I bought my ticket going to Grenada (my ticket there was one way, then my return and ticket down for this month were round trip). If you mean the January 2015 Facebook page, then yes I am on it!

I bought my return ticket way far in advance last semester. I think I actually bought it in summer at the same time as I bought my ticket going to Grenada (my ticket there was one way, then my return and ticket down for this month were round trip). If you mean the January 2015 Facebook page, then yes I am on it!

Do you recommend we buy the round trip ticket for the flight there and then our projected return date back home or wait until we are in Grenada to buy the holiday ticket home/back to Grenada. Awh i'm in the August 15 FB group, no one is very talkative in it haha.

Do you recommend we buy the round trip ticket for the flight there and then our projected return date back home or wait until we are in Grenada to buy the holiday ticket home/back to Grenada. Awh i'm in the August 15 FB group, no one is very talkative in it haha.

Ohh okay. I didn't even know that group was already made! Haha it'll get more talkative when more people get accepted :) You can do it either way really... Monetarily it would be cheaper to buy the return ticket sooner, but you also may want to see how you feel about the island and whether or not you want to stay there for break. I know quite a few of my classmates stayed over the winter break and worked at the small animal clinic or the large animal facility and got some good experience. You also might book your ticket too soon and then regret not giving yourself more time on the island before going home (like I did :p )

i know a lot of desperate students see places like SGU and Ross as their only shot at becoming a veterinarian, but PLEASE take a lot of time to really consider what you will be signing up for by LEAVING the US. it upsets and angers me when i see people on facebook from these schools bashing how much they hate grenada and how horrible the island is and blah blah blah. its a packaged deal folks, and if you aren't willing to accept living in someone else's country and culture, then you need to seriously reconsider your goals. this will not be a good fit for you, and you will be miserable the whole time you are there. you will add to the locals' view of students (that we are rich, entitled brats - a sad reality is that a lot of americans that go to grenada act this way). you will not be a good role model for the future. you may not do very well in school. you will be paying a heck of a lot more money to be miserable than you would be if you went to your in-state school (to be honest though, you might be miserable there too because vet school is sneaky like that).

so PLEASE think long and hard about this major life decision you will be making. are you a patient, laid back, flexible personality? can you laugh at life's little idiosyncrasies? how do you really feel about leaving everything you've ever known behind? do you really understand that you will be a guest in someone else's country? can you live with just the basics?

you need to want to go to an island school because you want the whole package, and not simply because you're desperate. if desperation is your only motivator, you are in for what will be the very hardest and most miserable years of your life, because vet school itself is quite mentally and emotionally challenging, and then you are adding on moving away from your support system, moving into a new culture and way of life, and out of a very developed first world country.

*this rant prompted by a facebook post from someone saying that going to SGU was the worst decision they have ever made (and not the vet school part), and then bashing the country when people prompted why.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know when we'll start hearing from them again? Do they contact us when school isn't in session?

I have two more interviews stateside. Not sure if i'll go to SGU if accepted in the U.S. I think the cost will be about the same, but i'll remain in the U.S. where I can work part time if need be. Either way, SGU is a back up incase I don't get in stateside.

ACCEPTED!!!! :soexcited:
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted as well! So proud of us!
I honestly don't think it has hit me yet since I just started a full time job and been sick for the past week.
Anywho, CONGRATS!:highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
I'm headed down there in about three weeks! If any of you have questions about the application process let me know! I can also answer questions about the school later on down the road :)
when are you going? I am going on the 20th

when are you going? I am going on the 20th

I'm already here! Haha I actually posted that back in August or July, I started my first term this past August. I'm now in second term! :)