St George c/o 2019 applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted for VFP August 2015!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else still have stateside interviews? I have two left, so I still don't know if i'll end up at SGU this august.

where are your interviews?

Last two interviews left are at MSU CVM and Tuskegee. Then the waiting begins for acceptance news. I did get into SGU fall 2015, but i'm not so sure I want to leave the states. I may just stay and give it another shot next year if I don't get in stateside, however, I may take the plunge and end up in Grenada after all in the fall.

Last two interviews left are at MSU CVM and Tuskegee. Then the waiting begins for acceptance news. I did get into SGU fall 2015, but i'm not so sure I want to leave the states. I may just stay and give it another shot next year if I don't get in stateside, however, I may take the plunge and end up in Grenada after all in the fall.

I had the same thoughts, and ended up just deciding to come here. I had interviews at four US schools, rejected from one and waitlisted at the other three and never got called off. I decided to just start vet school instead of waiting another year and being another year older... And I'm really glad I made the decision that I did!

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same thoughts, and ended up just deciding to come here. I had interviews at four US schools, rejected from one and waitlisted at the other three and never got called off. I decided to just start vet school instead of waiting another year and being another year older... And I'm really glad I made the decision that I did!

Did you ever follow up on why you were rejected? Did your in state interviews not go as planned?

Did you ever follow up on why you were rejected? Did your in state interviews not go as planned?

My in-state was VMRCVM, which does the MMI interviews, and I guess I just really sucked at that format of interview :p The other schools I did file reviews with told me that my GPAs and GRE scores were definitely competitive, my interviews went well, but I was lacking in diverse veterinary experience, which I knew. All my experience was small animal and nothing else, I had a lot of trouble finding other types of veterinarians to shadow. That's why I toyed with the idea of applying again, since I knew that was a very do-able area to strengthen my application in, but decided against it and to just start school.

you should think VERY long and hard about taking an acceptance at SGU if you arent sure about leaving the US. I think so many people think "i dont want to wait anymore!" or "i'm tired of being rejected!" and end up at SGU and Ross feeling miserable because they are so unhappy with their lives. sure, they are glad to be in vet school and all, but i bet that a good number of these folks wouldn't make the same choice if they knew then what they know now.

Anyone else still have stateside interviews? I have two left, so I still don't know if i'll end up at SGU this august.
I had one today, and have 4 more coming up in the next two weeks so my plans are definitely up in the air for now!

Congrats to everyone being accepted. I'm in the process of applying for August. Hope to meet some of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that most of you found out within 2-3 weeks, some a month after your interview and I interviewed on November 9th and still have not heard back. I applied for the August term but was offered an interview for the January term. I reached out 5 weeks after my interview and again on January 11th when I was told my file was moved ahead to August term and I would hear back as soon as there was an answer. 6 weeks have gone by and still no word. Would it be okay to ask for a status update again, for a third time?

Last edited:
It seems that most of you found out within 2-3 weeks, some a month after your interview and I interviewed on November 9th and still have not heard back. I applied for the August term but was offered an interview for the January term. I reached out 5 weeks after my interview and again on January 11th when I was told my file was moved ahead to August term and I would hear back as soon as there was an answer. 6 weeks have gone by and still no word. Would it be okay to ask for a status update again, for a third time?
Definitely! Considering your terms have been switched about you should definitely make sure each term didn't have you accidentally placed in the other.

Yup! I would definitely email Krista or whoever, you won't be bothering her and she's very helpful :)

Welcome to SGU! One of the 4th termers one a cow last night in a game of bingo at a restaurant (an example of all the awesome adventures to come for you!) :D

Gotta love this waiting game...waiting for an interview meaning I probably won't get a decision until (maybe) mid April. Anybody know how full the August 2015 class is now?

Gotta love this waiting game...waiting for an interview meaning I probably won't get a decision until (maybe) mid April. Anybody know how full the August 2015 class is now?

There's about 100 members in the facebook group if that helps at all

Thanks. I'm sure its a blend of newbies and students already there. :)

Does anyone have a link for the FB page for August?

Do you know if the group is only for students who have paid their deposits and accepted their spot or is it for all students who have been accepted.

It's for all students who have been accepted.

I was accepted for the January 2016 class on February 18th and offered a waitlist seat for August 2015 class. I was given #41 on the waitlist. Normally I would assume the class is full if they have 41 or more people on a waitlist but if you have an interview for the August 2015 class coming up I don't think they would have you interview for a class that is full? So my guess is there are a select number of seats open for the August 2015 class for those who have yet to interview.

Last edited:
wow #41, makes me wonder how many were accepted. but, I understand that things happen and some people may not be mature enough to leave the states (hopefully they figure this out before signing the loans). Thanks for letting me know. Best wishes to you.

I'm declining my offer so hopefully it goes to one of you!!

Is there a FB page for January 2019? Has anyone else been accepted for Jan. 2019 or heard about any movement on the waitlist for Aug. 2015?

Is there a FB page for January 2019? Has anyone else been accepted for Jan. 2019 or heard about any movement on the waitlist for Aug. 2015?
probably not, but it wont be called January 2019, i'll be called January 2016, as all of the pages have been named for the matriculation date to keep things straight :) (i.e. my class page is august 2011)

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but what is the average debt coming out of sgu, including living expenses and everything? Would it be possible for a spouse to find a job on the island?

I know some people take their dog with them, but what about two tortoises? I have two fairly small tropical redfoots that would love living on the island (plus they're my babies and I can't leave them behind!).

I know some people take their dog with them, but what about two tortoises? I have two fairly small tropical redfoots that would love living on the island (plus they're my babies and I can't leave them behind!).
is it possible? theoretically yes, because i had a professor that brought a sulcata with him. he definitely had a ton of hoops to jump through from both governments though, and then the locals ultimately poached the animal after a year or two. turtles and tortoises = food and things to sell in grenada. such is life. he also may have been able to bring his in because he was a professor. i've never heard of students bringing in exotic pets. you may also not be able to get them out of grenada in a few years depending upon US import regulations at the time. things change all the time with foreign animal diseases and the like, and there are no guarantees that just because you brought them out that you could get them back in.

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but what is the average debt coming out of sgu, including living expenses and everything? Would it be possible for a spouse to find a job on the island?
i'm pretty sure SGU lists their expected tuition and cost of living totals on their website, otherwise you can check the cost of vet school thread or the vin tuition calculator.

it is extremely difficult if not impossible for spouses to get jobs in grenada. occasionally people get jobs directly through the university (i can think of a small handful), but mostly the answer to that question is no. there is a SO club that is very active and lots of volunteer opportunities, but earning money in grenada is generally tough because you are dealing with someone else's government. theres a fairly high local unemployment rate, so they are definitely not willing to give up possible jobs to outsiders.

-------
http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...833&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1

i'm not entirely certain about the accuracy of this because they have changes in total COA for schools that dont have an IS/OOS difference (obviously i'm sure its close, but i just find it a little confusing). it is definitely possible to get away with less than that estimate at SGU.

Last edited:
you should think VERY long and hard about taking an acceptance at SGU if you arent sure about leaving the US. I think so many people think "i dont want to wait anymore!" or "i'm tired of being rejected!" and end up at SGU and Ross feeling miserable because they are so unhappy with their lives. sure, they are glad to be in vet school and all, but i bet that a good number of these folks wouldn't make the same choice if they knew then what they know now.

No need to think long and hard about SGU. I'll be staying stateside.

Last edited:
is it possible? theoretically yes, because i had a professor that brought a sulcata with him. he definitely had a ton of hoops to jump through from both governments though, and then the locals ultimately poached the animal after a year or two. turtles and tortoises = food and things to sell in grenada. such is life. he also may have been able to bring his in because he was a professor. i've never heard of students bringing in exotic pets. you may also not be able to get them out of grenada in a few years depending upon US import regulations at the time. things change all the time with foreign animal diseases and the like, and there are no guarantees that just because you brought them out that you could get them back in.

i'm pretty sure SGU lists their expected tuition and cost of living totals on their website, otherwise you can check the cost of vet school thread or the vin tuition calculator.

it is extremely difficult if not impossible for spouses to get jobs in grenada. occasionally people get jobs directly through the university (i can think of a small handful), but mostly the answer to that question is no. there is a SO club that is very active and lots of volunteer opportunities, but earning money in grenada is generally tough because you are dealing with someone else's government. theres a fairly high local unemployment rate, so they are definitely not willing to give up possible jobs to outsiders.

-------
http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...833&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1

i'm not entirely certain about the accuracy of this because they have changes in total COA for schools that dont have an IS/OOS difference (obviously i'm sure its close, but i just find it a little confusing). it is definitely possible to get away with less than that estimate at SGU.
Oh my god that's horrible about the tortoise, how sad :(. Apparently you can transport chelonians as long as the carapace is longer than 4 inches. I wonder if there would be any way to keep them safer, maybe put them inside when not at home at have them outside when at home. My boyfriend would be able to watch them as well since he would be living with me. I guess it also depends on where you live too though. Feeding them would be easy because they eat fruits and vegetables. I would die if anthing happened to them though.

Oh my god that's horrible about the tortoise, how sad :(. Apparently you can transport chelonians as long as the carapace is longer than 4 inches. I wonder if there would be any way to keep them safer, maybe put them inside when not at home at have them outside when at home. My boyfriend would be able to watch them as well since he would be living with me. I guess it also depends on where you live too though. Feeding them would be easy because they eat fruits and vegetables. I would die if anthing happened to them though.
Unfortunately it's naive to think that they are safe just because you'd be watching them and that you could just keep them inside. Petty crime happens, and although I'd like to think it wouldnt, there would certainly be no guarantees.

i've put a message into someone who deals with pet travel to/from grenada to see if they know if its allowed in grenada. i'll let you know. additionally, you'd have to find out if you could fly/ship them to the country. some of the airlines have more liberal pet policies than others, but your options are pretty much limited to American Airlines and Caribbean Airlines at this time (I think Delta flies infrequently, and there have been a couple of other airline companies that are thinking about tentatively expanding to include the route - I would absolutely under no circumstances use LIAT, they have a terrible reputation for things go wrong/getting lost/maintenance issues etc.). you also probably couldnt layover in any other country and thus may be looking at extremely expensive 1st term tickets (because by the time you are accepted and buying, all of the upperclassmen have bought the "cheap" stuff out)

Unfortunately it's naive to think that they are safe just because you'd be watching them and that you could just keep them inside. Petty crime happens, and although I'd like to think it wouldnt, there would certainly be no guarantees.

i've put a message into someone who deals with pet travel to/from grenada to see if they know if its allowed in grenada. i'll let you know. additionally, you'd have to find out if you could fly/ship them to the country. some of the airlines have more liberal pet policies than others, but your options are pretty much limited to American Airlines and Caribbean Airlines at this time (I think Delta flies infrequently, and there have been a couple of other airline companies that are thinking about tentatively expanding to include the route - I would absolutely under no circumstances use LIAT, they have a terrible reputation for things go wrong/getting lost/maintenance issues etc.). you also probably couldnt layover in any other country and thus may be looking at extremely expensive 1st term tickets (because by the time you are accepted and buying, all of the upperclassmen have bought the "cheap" stuff out)
Unfortunately it will probably end up being a deal breaker for me.

Unfortunately it will probably end up being a deal breaker for me.
The person who deals with dog/cat imports at SGU said that the school does not facilitate importing other animals, and that if you were truly interested in pursuing it further, that you would need to contact the Ministry of Agriculture in Grenada. I suspect the same would apply to other foreign schools unfortunately.

I'm not sure if there is a specific page for the foundation students but I know a lot of them just join the regular incoming August class page

Can some of you who have gotten in share your stats please? Thanks!

So I've been accepted for vet foundations for August 2015. In the letter I got it gave me a list of dates and money that was due. The first one being the deposit on April 15 and the second was for 2000 due May 15. Does anyone know anything about this?

So I've been accepted for vet foundations for August 2015. In the letter I got it gave me a list of dates and money that was due. The first one being the deposit on April 15 and the second was for 2000 due May 15. Does anyone know anything about this?
you are best off asking them directly, because what's actually due when depends on loans. i'm not sure if foundations students are eligible for federal loans?

I just thought the second deposit was to continue holding your seat. A lot of law schools do that

The second deposit goes toward your tuition I believe, but like jmo said, definitely ask them because when I was coming in they didn't require me to pay it since I was getting loans. They just waited until my loan money came in to take everything they needed.

The second deposit goes toward your tuition I believe, but like jmo said, definitely ask them because when I was coming in they didn't require me to pay it since I was getting loans. They just waited until my loan money came in to take everything they needed.
I contacted them and they said that as long as I plan to take out loans, I do not have to pay the 2000:)