St George PreVet Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRILES

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied or been accepted into St Georges Pre Vet Program? What were your thoughts of it? I am considering applying. I am Re-turning back to school and wishing to pursue DVM.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone applied or been accepted into St Georges Pre Vet Program? What were your thoughts of it? I am considering applying. I am Re-turning back to school and wishing to pursue DVM.
i cant think of anyone on here that has done the pre-vet program (not foundations to vet med), but the very 1st thing i'd look into is loans. the pre-vet program used to not be eligible for federal loans and i think it may still be that way. if thats the case, i would definitely think long and hard about it. theres really no reason you can't complete your pre-reqs at a US community college for much cheaper. think about cost of living, travel, expenses, etc on top of tuition, plus you wouldnt be able to work at all to earn money during that period. not saying SGU's pre-vet program isn't a good program, but it isn't without serious consideration and drawbacks. plus...for a lot of people, 6 years would be an incredibly long time to be on the island.

additionally, being in the pre-vet program doesnt really seem to give you a leg up on the dvm program. you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA and pass a test at the end of the program to be admitted. a 3.0 may not seem terribly hard to maintain, but when you add in the stressors of being in another country so far away from family, you just never know. i think it is uncommon for students to do their pre-vet work at SGU (much more common to do the foundations program post-prereqs to get in instead). also, if its just the security of getting into SGU at the end, i know the DVM program has partnerships with several US universities. you could look into that, and then at least you'd have the option to earn money and be closer to home.

if you're not from the US or somewhere you can do pre-reqs easily, i think its a decent option. just an expensive one and not without a lot of considerations.