St. George University Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasoncohenrn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, What are my chances of gaining admission. I applied for the Post-Bac Pre Med to MD program. I have a BS in Nursing. GPA 3.58. I have 1.5 years of CTICU RN experience. I did not take the MCAT as I have not taken Pre Med science courses for my nurse school. Just modified courses for nurses. Anyone with some insight would be great. Thank you very much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, What are my chances of gaining admission. I applied for the Post-Bac Pre Med to MD program. I have a BS in Nursing. GPA 3.58. I have 1.5 years of CTICU RN experience. I did not take the MCAT as I have not taken Pre Med science courses for my nurse school. Just modified courses for nurses. Anyone with some insight would be great. Thank you very much!!

Most likely direct admission without the premed, if you fullfil the requirements. I can't remember, but I think St. Georges requires an MCAT, but as long as you get above 24~ you'll be fine.

I think you have a great chance at getting into the Pre-Med to MD program. You wouldn't need the Pre-med courses since you applied for the program. :luck:

Most likely direct admission without the premed, if you fullfil the requirements. I can't remember, but I think St. Georges requires an MCAT, but as long as you get above 24~ you'll be fine.

Aren't you JUST applying at the moment? The OP applied to Pre-med because they have no MCAT and no Pre-med courses, hence they do NOT fullfil the requirements. Also an MCAT of 24 for SGU is kind've low and they wouldn't be "fine". The average MCAT for an SGU student was 27 3 years ago when I was applied, should be the same or even higher these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great chance at getting into the Pre-Med to MD program. You wouldn't need the Pre-med courses since you applied for the program. :luck:

Aren't you JUST applying at the moment? The OP applied to Pre-med because they have no MCAT and no Pre-med courses, hence they do NOT fullfil the requirements. Also an MCAT of 24 for SGU is kind've low and they wouldn't be "fine". The average MCAT for an SGU student was 27 3 years ago when I was applied, should be the same or even higher these days.
Yea, I am just applying, and if you compare his stats to those on valuemd, of people who have been accepted/giving advice, they would say the exact same thing. I am just transferring their opinions to help this fellow who may not be aware of valuemd.

And a 24 mcat is adequate, it is his GPA which would give him direct admission. And he said he has a nursing degree, not that he didn't take the pre-reqs. I don't know of a nursing program that wouldn't meet the pre-reqs, except maybe the physics.

To OP, for more information go to valuemd.com, it is a site that focus' on foreign medical schools and you may have a better chance at an accurate response.

Cheers

So I am looking good to get accepted into their premed portion. Then I have to have a 3.2 GPA to progress to MD. The recruiter told me we the MCAT does not have to be within 2 points of the average class. If she lying I just go to Saint James. They told me with my RN experience I can completely skip the premed courses. Is that a good idea? I also looked at the residency matches for Saint James they were all internal medicine or family medicine. All primary care interesting

Just so its clear I do not fulfull the the Pre med courses I think the the only one I ever have taken was General Chemistry I

Just so its clear I do not fulfull the the Pre med courses I think the the only one I ever have taken was General Chemistry I
Without the pre-med courses, you won't be accepted anywhere without doing some sort of pre-med.

Yea, I am just applying, and if you compare his stats to those on valuemd, of people who have been accepted/giving advice, they would say the exact same thing. I am just transferring their opinions to help this fellow who may not be aware of valuemd.

And a 24 mcat is adequate, it is his GPA which would give him direct admission. And he said he has a nursing degree, not that he didn't take the pre-reqs. I don't know of a nursing program that wouldn't meet the pre-reqs, except maybe the physics.

To OP, for more information go to valuemd.com, it is a site that focus' on foreign medical schools and you may have a better chance at an accurate response.

Cheers
See above for bold + from VMD stats for accepted students thus far:
MCAT: 29, 30, 36, 26
ugGPA: 2.8, 3.2, 3.4, 3.4
GRAD GPA: 3.2, 3.5, 3.2

1 guy: gpa 3.2; MCAT: 27 and 24 ( SGU will take the 27) w/ publications yet put in AEP
for the original poster: see http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-university-school-medicine/221121-accepted-august-2012-a.html and other threads on that forum

My point being if you have a 3.2 and a 24 you better be special, have a master's or other awesome thing in your background to be "in".

So I am looking good to get accepted into their premed portion. Then I have to have a 3.2 GPA to progress to MD. The recruiter told me we the MCAT does not have to be within 2 points of the average class. If she lying I just go to Saint James. They told me with my RN experience I can completely skip the premed courses. Is that a good idea? I also looked at the residency matches for Saint James they were all internal medicine or family medicine. All primary care interesting
The GPA to progress changes a lot, last I heard was 3.2 and 3.5 from students so I would take the schools word, they have no reason to "lie" to you, if you don't move on they won't make money off ya, however policies can change sometimes.