St. George's University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaiT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many percentages of applicants get interviews?

Also, I had received an e-mail that I was granted and interview about 2 weeks ago, and in it they said they would notify me of the actual date soon. I have yet to receive the latter e-mail, but I know their office is in NY so perhaps they were set-back from the hurricane. Is anyone else in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many percentages of applicants get interviews?

Also, I had received an e-mail that I was granted and interview about 2 weeks ago, and in it they said they would notify me of the actual date soon. I have yet to receive the latter e-mail, but I know their office is in NY so perhaps they were set-back from the hurricane. Is anyone else in the same situation?

i suspect the interview stats have changed drastically over the last year and a half or so after the accreditation process was completed so even if someone can give you stats, unless they are from the admissions office i wouldnt trust them.

the way the interview process is set up is that you are notified you have been granted an interview, and then they begin searching for an alumni nearest you to interview you. they will get back to you (time length varies greatly from days to weeks) and you will then set up a time and date with your interviewer.

be patient! i'm sure they're working on it :) also, i suspect you are correct about hurricane issues, but its not unusual not to hear for a few weeks about interview information :) good luck!

i suspect the interview stats have changed drastically over the last year and a half or so after the accreditation process was completed so even if someone can give you stats, unless they are from the admissions office i wouldnt trust them.

the way the interview process is set up is that you are notified you have been granted an interview, and then they begin searching for an alumni nearest you to interview you. they will get back to you (time length varies greatly from days to weeks) and you will then set up a time and date with your interviewer.

be patient! i'm sure they're working on it :) also, i suspect you are correct about hurricane issues, but its not unusual not to hear for a few weeks about interview information :) good luck!

ok! thank you very much :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what percentage gets the interview, but the website says that ~75% of the interviewed are accepted... Then again, that may have changed since they are getting a larger volume of applicants.
Congrats on getting the interview, I'm still waiting to hear from them... applied for Fall 2013

I'm waiting too... I keep checking my spam just in case

hey incoming and prospective students, please check out the SGU sponsered forum in the vet community for updates on SGUSVM going paperless and switching to computerized exams :)

Can anyone tell me what kind of questions they ask during the St. George's interview? Unfortunately there's no Interview Feedback thread for St. George's on SDN. :(

Can anyone tell me what kind of questions they ask during the St. George's interview? Unfortunately there's no Interview Feedback thread for St. George's on SDN. :(

My interviewer asked me questions, such as: Why do you want to be a vet? What other schools did you apply to? Do you realize the financial commitment of veterinary school? eg. the amount of student loans I would graduate with. Did you consider doing a PhD instead of DVM?

She also touched briefly on my resume and asked a few questions about my volunteer/work experience. She was very nice and the interview was conversational. The time flew and by the end of the interview we had taked for two hours. XD

Since you live in the New England area, the same alumni may interview you as well.

though it was a long time ago, i was asked about why i applied to SGU, how i think the transition from US to island life will go for me, and stuff like that

Members don't see this ad :)

if you look under the interview feedback thread for SGU medical students you will see the questions. The questions are mostly the same and the essays are exactly the same. I just had my interview and I was asked my thoughts on euthanasia and annual vaccines. I was also asked how I would explain to a client why they should spend 700$ on a spay or neuter.

Make sure you actually know where Grenada is. My interviewer told me there are a large number of people that come to the interview with no idea where the school is located. I found this pretty funny :laugh:

Hi! I had my interview last weekend with an alumni. It was pretty comfortable because it was in her vet clinic so it was a familiar environment! I would say all in all it was low-keyed. She primarily went over my resume and asked me to expand on some of my experiences. She also asked what I did outside of the animal world. Finally, she asked me to comment on my transcript (e.g.: my struggles with a certain subject) and what I would do if I weren't to get in this year.
After I asked her questions about SGU and wrote the essay, she came in to say bye, but I was just curious as to why she wanted to interview prospective students, and she gave me her answer as well as saying I did well on my interview (though I didn't ask her directly that), so I'm hoping (and assuming) that was truthful! Good luck!! :)

I am awaiting my final decision! (Had my interview last weekend). Though my interviewer never mentioned it, I'm wondering if I'll be placed (if I get in at all) into the foundation program. My interview went well, I have a lot of experience, but I didn't do so hot in one specific subject (otherwise my grades for vet applicants are average). Does anyone know the percentage of applicants that get placed into this foundation program and why?

What is the foundation program?

. I was also asked how I would explain to a client why they should spend 700$ on a spay or neuter.

$70 or $700? I think I'd fail that question if I had to "sell" a $700 spay!

Thank you for all the information, everyone! Still haven't received my interview date yet, but all of it will definitely come in handy when it's time for me to start seriously preparing.

After I asked her questions about SGU and wrote the essay . . .

Wait. Essay?

Apparently they give you ten minutes to write an essay.

Well that's fun. Do we get to know what the topic is in advance, or is it different for everyone?

congrats!! jan or aug?

Hey guys, I applied to SGU for Jan 2014 because I graduated undergrad in Dec 2012...

Do you think it will be a while before I hear anything back from them? Should I call them and ask for their opinion or any options?

Most (US) schools I applied to are for September obviously, I also did Ross and St. Matthews for the May 2013 start date. I just recently had interviews for both and got into St. Matthews for May! Butttttt they want me to have my seat deposit in by Feb 1) which is really rushed... and I'm STILL waiting to hear Ross (which was one of my #1's).

Today I also got an email for an interview at Tuskegee for the middle of Feb.. so I'm looking into them now too :)

Also-- does Ross really take 4-6 weeks to get back to you after an interview? or in reality is it really not that long?

All of these dates feel so all over the place and it's kind of nerve-wracking..... :thumbdown:

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, I applied to SGU for Jan 2014 because I graduated undergrad in Dec 2012...

Do you think it will be a while before I hear anything back from them? Should I call them and ask for their opinion or any options?

Most (US) schools I applied to are for September obviously, I also did Ross and St. Matthews for the May 2013 start date. I just recently had interviews for both and got into St. Matthews for May! Butttttt they want me to have my seat deposit in by Feb 1) which is really rushed... and I'm STILL waiting to hear Ross (which was one of my #1's).

Today I also got an email for an interview at Tuskegee for the middle of Feb.. so I'm looking into them now too :)

Also-- does Ross really take 4-6 weeks to get back to you after an interview? or in reality is it really not that long?

All of these dates feel so all over the place and it's kind of nerve-wracking..... :thumbdown:

Thanks guys!

I had an interview with Ross and they told me 4 weeks after my interview that I got accepted. Just something about St. Matthews is that last time I knew they were not AVMA accredited. That was the reason I did not apply there. I also have a friend who started there last fall and she's having a hard time adjusting. That comes with any out of country school tho. Good luck!!

Thanks guys!

how come you applied for Jan 2014 at SGU but May 2013 at the others (and not August 2013 at SGU)?

you should ask SMU if they'd be willing to push back your deadline for deposit (in my experience these schools are usually pretty flexible when asked).

lastly, congrats on that acceptance, but you should definitely give the not AVMA accredited thing a good hard look. particularly since there are now 2 caribbean schools that are. the testing to practice in the US is expensive, time consuming, and often difficult to obtain. things not to take likely for sure. i know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal now, but what if you realize later in school that you aren't going to be able to practice as a veterinarian for several months after graduation? thats 4 years of hard work, sweat, and tears that now you have to sit around and take some test allowing you to have a job.

best of luck!

So for those of you who interviewed already, were the essay questions the same as listed previously (influential person/ 3 qualities that would make a good vet/ forgot the last one) or are they different now? Do you really think the med school feedback is useful for vet school interview prep?

Thanks

Yep, same questions - 1) person who influenced you 2) 3 qualities that will make you a good vet 3) life-changing experience, the med school feedback was pretty applicable to the interview. I was asked what I thought of PETA, which was kind of a curve ball!

How long after the interview has anyone heard about their decision? My interview was ~15 days ago, and I was told I would hear within the month?

I had my St. George interview today. I think it went well, it was very informal and conversational. It lasted about an hour. The woman who interviewed me said a decision will take about a month, but it depends on when the interviewer gets their paperwork in. The admissions committee apparently meets 2ce a month to review applicants and decide if they are accepted once the interview has taken place.

I was told that once the admissions committee meets to review my application after the interview on this certain date, I should hear the final determination in 2 weeks. For anyone that's been accepted, how are they with staying within that 2 week time period??

I was told that once the admissions committee meets to review my application after the interview on this certain date, I should hear the final determination in 2 weeks. For anyone that's been accepted, how are they with staying within that 2 week time period??

I would also love to know the answer to this question! :) I was told the committee would meet at the end of Jan, my interview was Jan 12th. Last week they requested my fall grades which I sent the same day. They had lost one of my letters of recommendation so I also sent that the same day. Needless to say, I am getting ANTSY! :) :xf:

I would also love to know the answer to this question! :) I was told the committee would meet at the end of Jan, my interview was Jan 12th. Last week they requested my fall grades which I sent the same day. They had lost one of my letters of recommendation so I also sent that the same day. Needless to say, I am getting ANTSY! :) :xf:

They met the end of January for mine, too (January 30th to be exact), so I wouldn't be surprised if they started finalizing your application that day, too. In that e-mail, I was told I should hear a final determination in "2 weeks," so hopefully we shall find out soon! Best of luck!

For those of yall whom have already interviewed, once you got the e-mail saying you had been selected for an interview how long did it take for them to get back to you about an actual date?

And congrats to everyone whose already been accepted!! Hopefully I will be joining you all!!

For those of yall whom have already interviewed, once you got the e-mail saying you had been selected for an interview how long did it take for them to get back to you about an actual date?

And congrats to everyone whose already been accepted!! Hopefully I will be joining you all!!

It's been a month for me and still haven't heard anything since the initial interview invite. I'm going to contact them early next week and see what's up. :shrug:

It's been a month for me and still haven't heard anything since the initial interview invite. I'm going to contact them early next week and see what's up. :shrug:

Ya let me know what they say! Its been nearly a month for me too ... i live in atlanta so I wouldnt think it would be too hard to find someone in the general area to do the interview...Im getting nervous! This waiting game is terrible!!!

Ya let me know what they say! Its been nearly a month for me too ... i live in atlanta so I wouldnt think it would be too hard to find someone in the general area to do the interview...Im getting nervous! This waiting game is terrible!!!

I'm in Atlanta and I ended up doing a Skype interview with an alumna in New York

They met the end of January for mine, too (January 30th to be exact), so I wouldn't be surprised if they started finalizing your application that day, too. In that e-mail, I was told I should hear a final determination in "2 weeks," so hopefully we shall find out soon! Best of luck!

to you as well!! :xf::luck:

It was about three months between the offer and the interview was scheduled.

Looks like they have everything for my application...but status is still in "Incomplete for Final Review"? Anyone know what's up with that?

I politely emailed already to ask if they required anything else from me but haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone know how long the interviews normally are? Also how long of an eassay are you suppose to write?

Just declined my interview for SGU. I hope another SDNer gets my spot! Good luck everyone! :luck:

Got an interview offer a few days ago! Hopefully I hear from them soon about the when and where :)

I am so sorry to hear that! Are you waiting to hear from anywhere else?

Nope, LSU rejected me as well.

Got an email today that I was accepted into the fall class