St. George's University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi group! I stumbled across this forum, while searching for information on SGU's pre-veterinary interviewing process.

Like many of you, if not all of you, I am absolutely "over the moon" about the news of being granted an interview. :love:
Krista, said that she would contact me in approx. two weeks with the details for contacting my interviewer. She also said that the interview will be conducted in my area, and to make sure that she has a current address on file. Did those of you that had a Skype interview, know that the interview was going to be conducted this way, before hand?

If I do get accepted into this program, knowing that I might have some "virtual" friends before hand is comforting! :)

Good luck to all those that are interviewing in the near future, have interviewed, and to those of you that are awaiting confirmation of acceptance! :xf:

Hi group! I stumbled across this forum, while searching for information on SGU's pre-veterinary interviewing process.

Like many of you, if not all of you, I am absolutely "over the moon" about the news of being granted an interview. :love:
Krista, said that she would contact me in approx. two weeks with the details for contacting my interviewer. She also said that the interview will be conducted in my area, and to make sure that she has a current address on file. Did those of you that had a Skype interview, know that the interview was going to be conducted this way, before hand?

If I do get accepted into this program, knowing that I might have some "virtual" friends before hand is comforting! :)

Good luck to all those that are interviewing in the near future, have interviewed, and to those of you that are awaiting confirmation of acceptance! :xf:

When Krista said the interview was going to be in my area, it was. I met an alum a few hours south of me at his practice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted a little bit ago to SGU to start in Jan. I was also accepted to Ross a few days ago... :soexcited:Any good reasons to pick one over the other? I know Ross has no summers, but I was wondering which would be more hands on, which would be cheaper, which has better test scores etc.
Thanks! Just wondering what you have all heard about the two :)

I was accepted a little bit ago to SGU to start in Jan. I was also accepted to Ross a few days ago... :soexcited:Any good reasons to pick one over the other? I know Ross has no summers, but I was wondering which would be more hands on, which would be cheaper, which has better test scores etc.
Ross is significantly more expensive, which was the #1 reason I chose to apply to SGU rather than Ross.

lets see...

i *think* we get more hands on early in the curriculum from what i've gathered from ross
SGU has smaller class sizes (100 vs. 120+)
you have 6 pre-clinical semesters (like US schools) instead of 7 (i'd die if i had to do yet another round of classes and tests)
grenada is beautiful!!
SGU has a lot more students (ross med is on a different island) so more social stuff and more of a presence on the island
summers and winter break for 4-5 weeks (externships! family time! rest!!)
much less risk for hurricanes because of our geographic location
we have a bus system so a care is not a necessity (nice, but not a must)
MUCH cheaper - yes Ross is "shorter" but you pay for 1 more semester!!
we're a pretty cool bunch of people here :)

read my blog - http://doctorinthesand.blogspot.com/ i think you'll get a good sense of what island life here is like as well as a lot of the neat opportunities we have here :)

i'll throw it out there that when i applied, SGU was definitely my top choice over Ross - I even withdrew my Ross app with my SGU acceptance

if we are living off-campus, are we legally allowed to remain on the island during summer break? Are there possibilities of staying through the summer and working with the school or doing research with teachers?

if we are living off-campus, are we legally allowed to remain on the island during summer break? Are there possibilities of staying through the summer and working with the school or doing research with teachers?

yes to staying through the summer, yes to doing research. not sure about the working part, but you might be able to work at the VTH for pennies. There is a research stipend available as well :)

Any advice on brands of coveralls for women? I'm unsure about which would be best. Links would be appreciated. Also, you think hunter rubber boots would be okay for farm days?

yes to staying through the summer, yes to doing research. not sure about the working part, but you might be able to work at the VTH for pennies. There is a research stipend available as well :)

Perfect! Thanks! I don't want to fly my dogs back and forth multiple times if I can avoid it. I have a maturing pug and I don't want to stress her out. :)

Any advice on brands of coveralls for women? I'm unsure about which would be best. Links would be appreciated. Also, you think hunter rubber boots would be okay for farm days?

anything light weight and short sleeved will work for coveralls. and if there happen to be any Canadians reading this thread, DO NOT BRING LONG SLEEVED COVERALLS. for reals, yo. it is summer year round and you will be hot ;) and i'm not trying to be mean or pick on ya'll but quite a few of the Canadians I know here brought heavy long sleeves. silly!

for picking sizes, go to the company's website for basic measurements. the cold hard truth is that unless you are one of those very special people that can make a trash bag look gorgeous, you're not going to look sexy in coveralls no matter what color or brand or size you get. however, the second you are on the farm playing with horses and cows, you're not really going to care any more that you are not a sexy beast in your farm outfit, i promise ;) you can wear scrubs for farm labs, but personally prefer the coveralls because that means i can wear shorts and a tee to and from the farm (did i mention its summer year round here yet??) and i dont really have more than a few pairs of scrubs here so it helps me save in that aspect. plus somehow i feel slightly less disgusting peeling off stinking gross coveralls than i do scrubs, but thats just me. :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Mens-Short-Sleeve-Coverall/dp/B005J350DU
http://www.amazon.com/Walls-Sleeve-...673793&sr=1-4&keywords=short+sleeve+coveralls

i think i have the walls navy? color really doesnt matter, its a rainbow here :)

as for boots, basically as long as it protects your foot and is washable, it works. i have a $15 pair of rain boots from target.

anything light weight and short sleeved will work for coveralls. and if there happen to be any Canadians reading this thread, DO NOT BRING LONG SLEEVED COVERALLS. for reals, yo. it is summer year round and you will be hot ;) and i'm not trying to be mean or pick on ya'll but quite a few of the Canadians I know here brought heavy long sleeves. silly!

for picking sizes, go to the company's website for basic measurements. the cold hard truth is that unless you are one of those very special people that can make a trash bag look gorgeous, you're not going to look sexy in coveralls no matter what color or brand or size you get. however, the second you are on the farm playing with horses and cows, you're not really going to care any more that you are not a sexy beast in your farm outfit, i promise ;) you can wear scrubs for farm labs, but personally prefer the coveralls because that means i can wear shorts and a tee to and from the farm (did i mention its summer year round here yet??) and i dont really have more than a few pairs of scrubs here so it helps me save in that aspect. plus somehow i feel slightly less disgusting peeling off stinking gross coveralls than i do scrubs, but thats just me. :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Mens-Short-Sleeve-Coverall/dp/B005J350DU
http://www.amazon.com/Walls-Sleeve-...673793&sr=1-4&keywords=short+sleeve+coveralls

i think i have the walls navy? color really doesnt matter, its a rainbow here :)

as for boots, basically as long as it protects your foot and is washable, it works. i have a $15 pair of rain boots from target.

Thanks so much! I'm just on the really short side... 5'2" at best. I'm trying not to trip over myself haha.

Thanks so much! I'm just on the really short side... 5'2" at best. I'm trying not to trip over myself haha.

well heres my advice - get the Walls as cheap as you can (dont spend like $60+ on special womans ones) because they do short regular and tall sizes. short will still be too long, but either have a talented family member half heartedly sew them up or get some safety pins. you'll never know, they get tucked into the boots!

honestly you need these to sweat you bum off while playing with horses and cows. cheap cheap cheap is the way to go. it'll be a bit annoying because they wont fit perfectly, but until 6th term, you're not on the farm more than a handful of times (4 term 1, 0 term 2, 6 term 2, 0 term 4, a few term 5 and any large animal wetlabs you may do)

Members don't see this ad :)
well heres my advice - get the Walls as cheap as you can (dont spend like $60+ on special womans ones) because they do short regular and tall sizes. short will still be too long, but either have a talented family member half heartedly sew them up or get some safety pins. you'll never know, they get tucked into the boots!

Thank you! That's good advice.

lets see...

i *think* we get more hands on early in the curriculum from what i've gathered from ross
SGU has smaller class sizes (100 vs. 120+)
you have 6 pre-clinical semesters (like US schools) instead of 7 (i'd die if i had to do yet another round of classes and tests)
grenada is beautiful!!
SGU has a lot more students (ross med is on a different island) so more social stuff and more of a presence on the island
summers and winter break for 4-5 weeks (externships! family time! rest!!)
much less risk for hurricanes because of our geographic location
we have a bus system so a care is not a necessity (nice, but not a must)
MUCH cheaper - yes Ross is "shorter" but you pay for 1 more semester!!
we're a pretty cool bunch of people here :)

read my blog - http://doctorinthesand.blogspot.com/ i think you'll get a good sense of what island life here is like as well as a lot of the neat opportunities we have here :)

i'll throw it out there that when i applied, SGU was definitely my top choice over Ross - I even withdrew my Ross app with my SGU acceptance

Thank you so much! I love your blog! Has SGU been all that you hoped it would be? Do you love it?

I applied for jan 2014 through vmcas. They sent out saying I got an interview in feb. didnt get a date until two weeks ago when they told me to email a graduate, they gave me the email. and we have a skype interview tonight. wish me luck!

Interview was April the 7th
I got my acceptance call today!!! I will be part of the Jan 2014 Class for my DVM :):)

Interview was April the 7th
I got my acceptance call today!!! I will be part of the Jan 2014 Class for my DVM :):)

Congrats!!! Whoo hoo! We are going to be classmates!

I know there's an official and closed group for Jan 14 but I still like the idea of this one! More people join us! We are lonely.

use your official group! it will be your class group and big source of communication when you start school! you will have upper termers on there too that will be able to offer you advice on everything you could possibly imagine!

Congrats!!! Whoo hoo! We are going to be classmates!

ditto!! :):):)

Yay:) I'm ready to start packing and get on with it now! Glad to know we got some connections before we go!!

what are the names of the neighborhoods closest to campus? I'm looking online at realty websites just trying to get an idea of the inventory.

what are the names of the neighborhoods closest to campus? I'm looking online at realty websites just trying to get an idea of the inventory.

sooo grenada is set up kinda funny. there are 6 parishes. there aren't really street addresses here. it is a super duper confusing thing to try and explain to someone who hasnt been here for awhile haha.

SGU main campus is located in "True Blue." The satellite that is basically used for storage and a day care and easy beach access is in "Grand Anse." GA is about a 10-15 minute drive from TB. There is also Lance Aux Epine that is reasonable close by depending upon where you live in LAE. There's a Point Salines (airportish area i believe) and Frequente (no real idea where that is) bus and a Mont Toute.

For anyone trying to look up off campus housing, unless you are 100% planning on a car from day 1 (and even if you are), try and go for something that is in LAE or TB/GA that is on the bus route. These are the most frequent run bus routes and i think you'' appreciate this degree of flexibility while getting to know your way around. Avoid Hillcrest Dr. in TB (at least for your first semester). This road has badness associated with it and I'd hate for anything to happen to someone! Avoid listings that say things like "private!" "secluded" or "quiet and peaceful" - this is not the place to live isolated! Most of the crime here is petty crimes so nothing to worry about too much (lets face it, you're going to encounter this anywhere) but the object is to not be a target :)

sooo grenada is set up kinda funny. there are 6 parishes. there aren't really street addresses here. it is a super duper confusing thing to try and explain to someone who hasnt been here for awhile haha.

SGU main campus is located in "True Blue." The satellite that is basically used for storage and a day care and easy beach access is in "Grand Anse." GA is about a 10-15 minute drive from TB. There is also Lance Aux Epine that is reasonable close by depending upon where you live in LAE. There's a Point Salines (airportish area i believe) and Frequente (no real idea where that is) bus and a Mont Toute.

For anyone trying to look up off campus housing, unless you are 100% planning on a car from day 1 (and even if you are), try and go for something that is in LAE or TB/GA that is on the bus route. These are the most frequent run bus routes and i think you'' appreciate this degree of flexibility while getting to know your way around. Avoid Hillcrest Dr. in TB (at least for your first semester). This road has badness associated with it and I'd hate for anything to happen to someone! Avoid listings that say things like "private!" "secluded" or "quiet and peaceful" - this is not the place to live isolated! Most of the crime here is petty crimes so nothing to worry about too much (lets face it, you're going to encounter this anywhere) but the object is to not be a target :)

awesome, this is exactly the info i was looking for! you are so wise! haha thank you!

it means you get 3 summers instead of 2 :) yes - you start clinics in Jan. (so you even get a small winter break too) and finish in a year. graduate in Jan with ceremony in May (i do wonder if at some point that will change with accepting 100+ students per term instead of the smaller numbers previously)

just to clarify, you would be class of 2018 if you start Jan 2014? Im sending in my app this week, Im super excited about applying too!

Waitlisted for August 2013 and accepted for January 2014! :love:

Congrats Wannabevet!!!

Yay! Another classmate!

:) So exciting! I just found out Tuesday sooo things are still topsy turvy in my world. Especially since I had put down a deposit for Ross! But absolutely going to SGU!

:) So exciting! I just found out Tuesday sooo things are still topsy turvy in my world. Especially since I had put down a deposit for Ross! But absolutely going to SGU!

Oh wow! Why'd you choose sgu over Ross?

Oh wow! Why'd you choose sgu over Ross?

Price, location, weather, having opportunity to come back and work/network back in the states over summer breaks, worked with a vet that went there...Lots of things! :)

Waitlisted for August 2013 and accepted for January 2014! :love:

Congrats!!!! Hopefully I will be hearing soon and joining you guys!! I had my interview a little over a month ago ... getting anxious! =)

Ditto, ditto and ditto!! :)

Ah good luck to you!! I keep asking Krista and she says "by the end of the week" ... I am so afraid there is just a rejection letter coming via snail mail and I haven't received it yet haha!

Ah good luck to you!! I keep asking Krista and she says "by the end of the week" ... I am so afraid there is just a rejection letter coming via snail mail and I haven't received it yet haha!

I bothered Krista soooo much via email and then eventually phone. Whoops! But it took over 5 weeks after my Skype interview to get a response...:rolleyes:

I bothered Krista soooo much via email and then eventually phone. Whoops! But it took over 5 weeks after my Skype interview to get a response...:rolleyes:

I'm figuring it'll be about 4-6 weeks!! And eed123, lets keep positive that its an ACCEPTANCE opposed to a decline!

Provided I pass the Foundation program (I really hope I do! lol), I would be a part of the incoming January class of 2014. If I'm correct, then once the January class finishes their last semester at SGU, there's an extra semester (the spring semester) in between your last semester at SGU and your 4th year. Is anyone concerned about this? I'm just concerned about forgetting information (as irrational as that may sound), simply because I'm not used to such a big gap between my studies. Current SGU students: if you know any vet student in this situation, what do they do for that semester off?

Provided I pass the Foundation program (I really hope I do! lol), I would be a part of the incoming January class of 2014. If I'm correct, then once the January class finishes their last semester at SGU, there's an extra semester (the spring semester) in between your last semester at SGU and your 4th year. Is anyone concerned about this? I'm just concerned about forgetting information (as irrational as that may sound), simply because I'm not used to such a big gap between my studies. Current SGU students: if you know any vet student in this situation, what do they do for that semester off?

?? an extra semester gap? :shrug: i think you may be misinformed...January classes finish term 6 in Dec. and start clinics the first week of Jan. (same deal for august - end T6 in May, start 4th year right after that)

?? an extra semester gap? :shrug: i think you may be misinformed...January classes finish term 6 in Dec. and start clinics the first week of Jan. (same deal for august - end T6 in May, start 4th year right after that)

So then term 7 would start in January and term 8 would start in September? (meaning I finish vet school December 2018)? How does that match up with the affiliate schools?

So then term 7 would start in January and term 8 would start in September? (meaning I finish vet school December 2018)? How does that match up with the affiliate schools?

ooo now you're really misinformed! ;)

the DVM program is 6 terms at SGU - 3 fall (august) and 3 spring (january) semesters. pretty much as soon as you finish term 6 on the island, you'll fly off to where ever and start your 4th year. If you're a Jan kid, then you start half way through the affiliate's year (at some places, some have 1.5y clinical years too). no big deal :) if you're an august kid, you start your 4th year at the end of may or beginning of june, just behind (or with) most of the affiliate schools (again no big deal).

the whole "terms 7, 8, and 9" thing is mostly for financial purposes - you do a full year of clinics instead of a fall/spring deal so you pay more for those extra months (same thing happens in the US).

ooo now you're really misinformed! ;)

the DVM program is 6 terms at SGU - 3 fall (august) and 3 spring (january) semesters. pretty much as soon as you finish term 6 on the island, you'll fly off to where ever and start your 4th year. If you're a Jan kid, then you start half way through the affiliate's year (at some places, some have 1.5y clinical years too). no big deal :) if you're an august kid, you start your 4th year at the end of may or beginning of june, just behind (or with) most of the affiliate schools (again no big deal).

the whole "terms 7, 8, and 9" thing is mostly for financial purposes - you do a full year of clinics instead of a fall/spring deal so you pay more for those extra months (same thing happens in the US).

Oh okay, I think it was the terminology thing confusing me. So my clinic year would be from January through the summer and end in December?
THanks so much for answering my questions :)

I'm figuring it'll be about 4-6 weeks!! And eed123, lets keep positive that its an ACCEPTANCE opposed to a decline!

haha yeeesss! it was 6 weeks yesterday from my interview... maybe I will e-mail her again today lol I emailed about 2 weeks ago, and she had said by the end of the week ... but i'm sure everyone gets that response lol!

So did your acceptance come from a phone call, email or both? How did you find out? Just curious ;)