St. James VS St. Eustatius |Also what accreditation is needed for canadian resid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowiveseen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-----------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advice is to take the organic chem classes and the MCAT. Then figure out where to apply after you see your overall marks. Apply to US and DO schools first, if that doesn't work out then apply to the big 4 Caribbean schools.

Honestly there's enough threads out there saying this exact same information. Don't think just because you "really want this" that it makes you more special then every other student that goes to the Caribbean, of which about 50% fail out.

The only "accreditation" needed is that the school has to be recognized on IMED. Which it probably is. Non Canadian/US med school grads need to write the MCCEE exam before they can write the other Canadian board exams that Canadian grads write. It's a standardized exam, has nothing to do with what school you go to.

But seriously, no need to think about all that board exam stuff yet. Just worry about getting in to a good school first.

Does anyone have any advice on which school is better?

Niether. Take the MCAT like all premeds do, and take orgo. Cutting corners for convenience will end up costing you severely in terms of time, money, stress, and career prospects. This is only my opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the rest. Do your two semesters of ochem, take the MCAT, and see what score you get. Then apply to US/Canadian schools, MD and DO. If you're not successful the first time, do whatever you need to do to strengthen your application (i.e. retaking certain courses or the MCAT, or doing an SMP), and reapply. Failing that, then apply to the big 4 schools (SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba). Don't shoot for St. Eustatius or St. James right now. Just because they don't require you to complete the usual prerequisities does not mean they are the best path for you. Many students go to the lower-tier Caribbean med schools thinking its an easy path to an MD and then end up failing out, scoring poorly on Step 1 and Step 2, or not matching into a residency. There are no shortcuts to becoming a practicing MD in the US or Canada.

Many students go to the lower-tier Caribbean med schools thinking its an easy path to an MD and then end up failing out, scoring poorly on Step 1 and Step 2, or not matching into a residency.

I would also add that not every state will recognize degrees from certain programs as valid (i.e., you can't get a permanent license to practice medicine even if you are able to get a training license to do a residency in that same state).

There are no shortcuts to becoming a practicing MD in the US or Canada.

Truer words were never spoken.

-Skip

These two med schools don't even require organic chem and the MCAT?

Is that for real? There are really med schools out there like that?

What kind of students are going to a school that doesn't require the MCAT or organic chem?

These two med schools don't even require organic chem and the MCAT?

Is that for real? There are really med schools out there like that?

What kind of students are going to a school that doesn't require the MCAT or organic chem?

Sint Eustatius requires Organic Chemistry in addition to all the other medical school applicant requirements (MSAR's) and relevant labs. An MCAT is also strongly recommended.

With the new dean from Saba coming in Fall '12 you will see more stringent requirements as well. (GPA, MCAT scores).

hey u can read my blog about St. James here at

http://www.medstulife.com/

and also try SJSM student guide it will give u the best estimate of the school seen from my eyes

http://www.medstulife.com/p/sjsm-student-guide.html

That's all fine and dandy. But, are you also going to blog about when you can't get a residency spot or subsequently a permanent license to practice medicine in 4-7 years?

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

Nope. No Bonaire and no Anguilla schools on that list. Hope you never want to try to practice in California... or any state that recognizes that list.

Canada? Don't really know, don't really care. But, I can tell you that this: there are much better options out there for U.S. citizens.

-Skip