St. John Fisher looking for Dean of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all those qualifications necessary?

More valuable are years of being a car salesman, marketing, or any business involved in hustling and exaggerating statistics and success stories. This experience will help one get his or her foot through this particular door. If one knows how to convince the prospective pharmacy student that the clinical opportunities/responsibilities are quickly expanding and all you need is a FarmDee to be a part of this integral growth, then you have what it takes to be a successful dean in this business. No BCPS, Yada Yada, ABC degree needed for that! :cigar:

Reactions: 1 user
Look at that, and people say there are no jobs for pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
a school in my town is looking for a dean too. it's been ranked as the lowest performing school in our state as well as having problems with losing accreditation. but i guess that's what happens when you have two pharmacy school within 5 miles of each other.

a school in my town is looking for a dean too. it's been ranked as the lowest performing school in our state as well as having problems with losing accreditation. but i guess that's what happens when you have two pharmacy school within 5 miles of each other.

D'Youville? And isn't St. John Fisher funded by a retail chain? NY is becoming sad.

D'Youville? And isn't St. John Fisher funded by a retail chain? NY is becoming sad.

Texas. Last I heard, professors weren't even showing up to give out exams.

SJF's pharmacy program (and nursing as well) was built by a donation from Bob Wegman, the late owner of Wegmans, but there is no connection between the two. He donated quite a bit of money to local Catholic schools.

The Dean stepped down due to some serious health problems.

I have an interview for a faculty position at a college of pharmacy coming up. Can anyone share any insight on what they ask/are looking for?? I really want to do this position so I can get out of this retail thing...

So students at SJF don't get priority in terms of intern/job opportunities with Wegmans?
Nope. I actually heard through the grapevine that no one from the class of '15 got offered a job there, including their interns.

A few open Dean positions across the country (and beyond), according to the latest AACP "Career Opportunities" e-mail I received yesterday:
- Utah
- Maryland Eastern Shore
- St. John Fisher
- D'Youville

@BenJammin and @Ackj are both correct.
  • Dean is stepping down due to major health issues.
  • Bob Wegman donated money from his personal fortune to help start a nursing school and then a pharmacy school at St. John Fisher College.
  • Ha! I wish there was a connection between Wegmans Food Markets and Wegmans School of Pharmacy besides them filling our catering orders, but alas there is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few open Dean positions across the country (and beyond), according to the latest AACP "Career Opportunities" e-mail I received yesterday:
- Utah
- Maryland Eastern Shore
- St. John Fisher
- D'Youville

if only a semi new grad could become a dean. I would totally triple the students getting in but then quadruple the work load. Im pretty sure I would make a great dean lol.

if only a semi new grad could become a dean. I would totally triple the students getting in but then quadruple the work load. Im pretty sure I would make a great dean lol.

I'm REALLY surprised no school has thought of this yet . . . just implement the Caribbean medical school model and accept students in the spring, summer and fall.
@oldstock School of Pharmacy is looking for a committee member to run things as smoothly as possible, are you interested? =)

Why not? You wouldn't be the only Dean increasing class size in a tightening employment market.

well making profit over everyone's generalized suffering- isn't that the model of a free economy? LOL

well making profit over everyone's generalized suffering- isn't that the model of a free economy? LOL

Bzness is bzness. Bzness is war. America is bzness ;)

After looking at the curricula and talking to several students at other schools, I believe that the school I'm attending already is taking measures to weed out students, which explains the high attrition rate at this school.

on the other hand, many schools are going the opposite way: let students retake exams or courses when failed. This is a better business model imho :)

I agree with you there, keeps students paying for tuition in the longer run and is a better business model because the NAPLEX could be taught through a one to two semester crash course.

However, like @PhoenixFire said, weeding out students (especially toward the later P3/P4 years when most of the tuition is collected) is a good way of ensuring a high pass rate on the NAPLEX to boast necessary for accreditation and a higher "percentage of graduates" that found "a job," which gives media and advertisement more ammunition to sucker more students into this mess. Long term, this keeps feeding the perpetual expansion of pharmacy education and thus, terrible working conditions for employed pharmacists.

I agree with you there, keeps students paying for tuition in the longer run and is a better business model because the NAPLEX could be taught through a one to two semester crash course.

However, like @PhoenixFire said, weeding out students (especially toward the later P3/P4 years when most of the tuition is collected) is a good way of ensuring a high pass rate on the NAPLEX to boast necessary for accreditation and a higher "percentage of graduates" that found "a job," which gives media and advertisement more ammunition to sucker more students into this mess. Long term, this keeps feeding the perpetual expansion of pharmacy education and thus, terrible working conditions for employed pharmacists.

This is the same tactic to boost board's pass rate and employment numbers used by Caribbean med schools.

But one look at their attrition rate will tell the whole picture. Schools are in this pharmd producing bussiness to make money, not to care about students or help to maintain the profession as they have always claimed. They will never admit this truth. But we already know better :)

on the other hand, many schools are going the opposite way: let students retake exams or courses when failed. This is a better business model imho :)
omg that is like my alma mater. we had like 600 students first year and the sixth year we ended with 200 kids. HAHA. most failed only during first and second year. but when my pharmacy school opens up ill fail kids out during fifth year to get at least 10K more out of them. AHHH this is a new goal.

omg that is like my alma mater. we had like 600 students first year and the sixth year we ended with 200 kids. HAHA. most failed only during first and second year. but when my pharmacy school opens up ill fail kids out during fifth year to get at least 10K more out of them. AHHH this is a new goal.

u r Dr. Evil :) jk

oh wait... r u sure it is only 10K more ???? ;)

u r Dr. Evil :) jk

oh wait... r u sure it is only 10K more ???? ;)

i think it is time we make a pharmacy school old stock. we would recoup our losses in a year compared to going to pharmacy school for 6-8 years and recouping them in 20 years. hahaha

Reactions: 1 users
@oldstock School of Pharmacy is looking for a committee member to run things as smoothly as possible, are you interested? =)

Hey Oldstock, I'm really good at smoozing. Maybe I could assist you by being in charge of admissions? I guarantee to fill up each class completely with government-loan eligible marks, er I mean students.

Hey Oldstock, I'm really good at smoozing. Maybe I could assist you by being in charge of admissions? I guarantee to fill up each class completely with government-loan eligible marks, er I mean students.

sure why not ???? I will sign you huge bonus check at this time every year.... nah prob 3-4 months before Xmas lol :highfive:

why most of us here on SDN did not think about opening some schools before me and keep slaving away working at CVS's or Walgreen's or hospitals is beyond me.... This is the ****... lol jk :)

I'm REALLY surprised no school has thought of this yet . . . just implement the Caribbean medical school model and accept students in the spring, summer and fall.

Uhhhhh my alma mater has been doing that for decades.

Reactions: 1 users