st joseph's hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
why did st joseph's hospital in houston withdraw from the match cycle this year? Does anyone have any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

They are selecting their first class next year (2011). Their original director was let go and a new one (Dr. Lieberson sp?) is organizing the program. He actually sat in on the West Houston/Kingwood program interviews and is working with their directors to develop the programs academics and infrastructure. Seeing how you had some harsh things to say about those programs (and one in New Jersey) and the director you probably will not fit in there either.

Last edited:
FYI: I actually matched at one of the top programs in the country...I never wanted to go there in the first place, but wanted to know for some under classman who were interested in the program! Back off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: I actually matched at one of the top programs in the country...I never wanted to go there in the first place, but wanted to know for some under classman who were interested in the program! Back off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will not back off anytime soon. Everyone of your posts except for the St. Joseph's inquiry has been slanderous or negative. You have an attitude that will certainly rear it's ugly head time and time again. I doubt you matched a "top" program. But if you did I wish you and your unsuspecting director the best of luck.

Last edited:

Here are some quotes from your postings. You first say it's who you know that gets you a residency. So who did you know to get yours? Then you slander a program in New Jersey and a leader of the profession in Texas. At any rate, when you slander or make accusations anonymously that demonstrates a personality issue that will need to be addressed sometime in your life. BTW I already pointed out the inaccurate statements made about the West Houston and Kingwood programs.

Podio quotes:
Its all about who you know and how you can connect with attendings/residents that really determines if you get a residency position or not in the profession!!!!

I would really reconsider your decision going into podiatry...As of right now, there is a 50-100 student shortage of residency positions after graduation from podiatry schools. By the time you matriculate and graduate, that number can be even higher...Is it really worth wasting over $150,000 on 4 yrs of podiatry school and then finding out you wont be getting a residency spot and then having to change career paths to make a living?!?!

Hi all....I just wanted to let those that were looking at St Mary's Hospital in Passaic, NJ for residency to not waste your time visiting or contemplating residency there...They claim to be a good PM&S 24 month program, but require you to be there for 3 yrs to complete a 2 yr program!!!! They will make false promises to students/potential residents by telling them they really want you at their program, but at the end, they end up screwing people over!!! Also, the attendings will tell you they provide a diverse amount of cases for FF and MF, but you spend most of your time in the wound clinic! dont get trapped into 3 yrs of hell at this program!!!

In all honesty, the main reason Kingwood/West Houston fall into the scramble each and every year is due to their director(Dr Mendecino). He, in all honesty, is a jack***.

Get a life!!! Is this all u do? Search for quotes made by individuals on these forums and fire back!!! And again, dont judge the quality of my program and their decision b/c u know nothing about it or the director!!! Now who is the one making negative remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Get a life!!! Is this all u do? Search for quotes made by individuals on these forums and fire back!!! And again, dont judge the quality of my program and their decision b/c u know nothing about it or the director!!! Now who is the one making negative remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not judging your program or director. Just you. In fact after reading your posts, I am sure you will be slamming your director and attendings the first time they do something you didn't like. Yes I read the posts (BTW they were your quotes are you now embarassed?) and will defend the profession from those who have a weird desire to slam it but remain within it. You are just leaving school and already have an attitude and negative affect.

Give me a call when you have done something to help the profession you have chosen rather than hurt it. When you slam other programs (including one you admitted to not visiting) attack a program in New Jersey you do a disservice to those people who are working to make the profession better. Those who have worked hard for the profession and visit this site to offer advice (PADPM etc.) should be applauded. Believe me when I say I have a great life but have seen your type come and go.

Ciao

Dont you have more nails to clip than being on Studentdoctor forums all day!!!! And this forum is for "podiatry students"!

Dont you have more nails to clip than being on Studentdoctor forums all day!!!! And this forum is for "podiatry students"!

Wow. You really don't get it. You apparently have no ability to even show a modicum of respect and also don't have the ability to simply learn a lesson from someone who has been heavily involved with our profession politically and academically.

You've accomplished absolutely nothing and have the audacity to slam an extremely well respected residency director such as Dr. Mendicino all based on "hearsay". To top it off, instead of sitting back and attemtping to listen to the advice of podfather, someone with years of experience clinically and academically, you decide to act like a spoiled brat and sling what you believe are insults.

I personally doubt if podfather spends his days "cutting toenails" but what if that's what he did do all day? Do you forget where this profession got it's roots? When a diabetic patient walks into your office for a complicated problem and her nails are 3 inches long, are you going to be irresponsible enough to let her walk out the same way because you're a "podiatric surgeon"??

Well I'll tell you something. I've probably accomplished more in my career than you will ever accomplish. I've been heavily involved with the APMA, ACFAS, ABPS, residency programs, etc., and part of a very successful large practice. And although I perform the armamentarium of surgical procedures, I have NO problem "cutting nails" when indicated.

During my years of practice, involvement with residency training, ABPS exams, etc., I've been exposed to a lot of personalities. Unfortunately, I've come across too many like you, fortunately it doesn't happen often.

Those like you have no respect for anyone, and believe they have all the answers. It's not just your residency director who you will have a problem with, it's the chain of command with your senior residents. It's the nurses, the hospital staff, etc. It's everyone you come in contact with at your program. Because while you're walking around in your lab coat with your stethoscope draped around your neck thinking you're a "hotshot", the hospital staff will soon realize your that one in a hundred that's going have "that attitude". And "that attitude" wins no friends.....I guarantee it.

In a couple of years, remember to write to podfather and myself when you're "cutting nails" in some clinic because you pissed off your program director and never graduated the program.

Word to the wise. Straighten up your act and learn the meaning of "respect".

Last edited:
I must first apologize to the forum for losing my cool. This person just keeps pushing all of my buttons. I should bite my tongue but we all snap from time to time. Podio I wish you success but my advice remains the same. Negativity breeds more negativity. It's a cycle that can spin out of control. Venting is OK and at times helpful; but attacking your profession, programs, and people is simply wrong. Offer your opinions in a constructive manner and people will listen even if they disagree with you.

Residency training will be stressful at times. How you react to this stress defines you as a doctor and a human being. I am sincere that if you continue this behavior in residency there will be ramifications.

Residency can be a wonderful experience. Enter it with excitement, set goals, push yourself, help your fellow residents and attendings, and find something positive that you did each day. When you finish always remember it's about the patients and give something back to the profession. Small investments by DPMs pay off in compounded success of the profession.

here's to hoping people like that will get weeded out or found out before they hurt patients and bring down the profession. oy vey.

I have to agree with podio. I had the opportunity to spend some time at kingwood and west Houston. Dr. Mendicino can definitely be a jerk. One of the residents at west Houston actually complained about him. He also belittles Dr. Speciale. In all honesty he was the most unprofessional doc i worked with all year. Other than that the residents were great. Just my opinion though.

I have to agree with podio. I had the opportunity to spend some time at kingwood and west Houston. Dr. Mendicino can definitely be a jerk. One of the residents at west Houston actually complained about him. He also belittles Dr. Speciale. In all honesty he was the most unprofessional doc i worked with all year. Other than that the residents were great. Just my opinion though.

You are entitled to your opinons. Since there are no externships, how long were you there? The program is spread over 20+ facilities and the odds of even meeting Dr. Mendicino is rare. In addition how was he a jerk?

He is good friends with Dr. Speciale and they work together as a team. He has been extremely good to the Kingwood program and actually got it off probation and was instrumental in getting Dr. Speciale (one of his graduates) selected as director I know the program and Dr. Mendicino well and talk to the residents regularly and have heard nothing but positive comments.

Dr. Mendicino is not perfect but truly is good to the residents (tough at times) but truly cares about the program and the residents (at both Kingwood and West Houston).

At any rate before someone believes anything written by anyone (including me), do your homework call the West Houston residents or talk to one of the graduates.

To end this, my advice is to call and talk to the resident (preferably chief resident) rather take the word of anonymous posters. There is some politics in Houston because of the change in director at Kingwood and some of these comments may be directly related to that.

Most of the comments about podio were more about how he commented rather than the content.

I am one of the residents at WHMC and wanted to put in my 2 cents worth....

First of all, I dont think that anyone of the WHMC residents would complain about our residency director. Mendo is a great teacher, surgeon and professional and as a residents we feel fortunate to have him and the rest of our attendings. I don't know why someone would say that he is a jerk when all of us including Mendo hang out after meetings together. As a group, we go out to eat together atleast once a month. He comes into the residency office in his free time to talk to the residents not about work but just life in general. Does he have a sarcastic personality? Yes. But most of his residents do too and that type of personality works very well for us as a group. If some people think that is how he is a jerk then I guess you don't understand him. He is continously joking around with us and having fun. When it is time for academics and to work, we get down to work and the joking is put to the side until we are through.

Personally, I have been in our lab practicing cadaver dissections on weekends and he will come into the office and give me pointers. I have been in surgery with him many times and never worked with someone that teaches as well as him. Trust me there have times that I have not had the best technique and he does not fly off the handle he just fixes it or shows you how to fix it. I have worked with other attendings when I was a student that would fly off the handle at the smallest of mistakes. I have never seen that with him. He may talk to you in his office behind closed doors that you made a mistake but wont do it in front of your peers or in the OR setting. I appreciate that and respect that.

As for Dr. Speciale, I have never witnessed Mendo belittle, demean or undermine him in front of residents or attendings. Speciale is a part of GTEF staff and was one of ours before he took over Kingwood. I have been in labs and meetings with Mendo with all of the GTEF staff and Mendo treats them all the same and with respect. I mean this weekend they are in SF working ABPS stuff together. Sounds like a pretty disfunctional family doesn't.

If anyone every has any questions about the West Houston Residency Program I am more than willing to answer them. I have enjoyed my time here and could not be happier that I came to this program and have the attendings that I have.

Just PM me and I will give you my email address or will call you.