St. Matthew's University - Grand Cayman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! SMU is slowly but surely becoming one of my first choices!! I love the fact that there is small classes. Being an aspiring veterinarian who has been diagnosed with ADHD, its a big turn off when disorders like that come up in conversation!! I feel like I'd do much better in a smaller class size where I'd always be able to ask questions or speak with my instructors in an intimate conversation rather than being classified by a number.

One random question I also have, are there any student services/medical facilities/pharmacies on the island? There are a few medications (contact lenses, etc) which I have prescriptions for and I'm curious as to how pharmacies and medication dispensing works on the island?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my phone interview with Adriana. I think it went fairly well. Unlike my interview with Ross, this was more of a friendly conversation rather than interrogation. If this is the way faculty at St. Matthews are, then I'm leaning a little more towards them now. Ross was originally my first choice in vet schools but their disorganization and difficulty in reaching anyone has become a big turnoff. If only St Matthews had student loans, they would be my number one, hands down. I am beginning to search for financial aid with my fingers crossed. :xf: They just need one more LOR which they should get next Monday or Tuesday.

Wow! SMU is slowly but surely becoming one of my first choices!! I love the fact that there is small classes. Being an aspiring veterinarian who has been diagnosed with ADHD, its a big turn off when disorders like that come up in conversation!! I feel like I'd do much better in a smaller class size where I'd always be able to ask questions or speak with my instructors in an intimate conversation rather than being classified by a number.

One random question I also have, are there any student services/medical facilities/pharmacies on the island? There are a few medications (contact lenses, etc) which I have prescriptions for and I'm curious as to how pharmacies and medication dispensing works on the island?

I can tell you that St. Matthew’s is very understanding/accommodating to those that have documented learning disabilities. This is something that I understand is not well appreciated at other schools.

To answer your question about medical services. There are two full service hospitals not the island, one government owned/operated and one private. Depending on the type of insurance you have you may be able to use your primary plan while attending SMU. If not you can most indeed use the university’s company. The negative however is that prescriptions that are made in the US can not be filled in the Cayman Islands (unless your doctor is licensed there). This could be possible as some doctors visit the island for special procedures and such. So if you need medications I recommend that you have all of your medications/contact lenses supplied with you when you come down. You could also have someone ship things to you but shipment is expensive (IMO). If you do however need a medication while on the island you can of course make an appointment with a doctor and go about things that way.

On a side note other health services such as mental health the university has two certified individuals (as professors in the medical school) on staff full time.

I’m happy to answer any other medical questions if you would like. Feel free to privately message/email me with specific questions if you’d like. :)

J

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my phone interview with Adriana. I think it went fairly well. Unlike my interview with Ross, this was more of a friendly conversation rather than interrogation. If this is the way faculty at St. Matthews are, then I'm leaning a little more towards them now. Ross was originally my first choice in vet schools but their disorganization and difficulty in reaching anyone has become a big turnoff. If only St Matthews had student loans, they would be my number one, hands down. I am beginning to search for financial aid with my fingers crossed. :xf: They just need one more LOR which they should get next Monday or Tuesday.

That is the exact same way I felt when I applied to SMU. I heard back much faster and the folks are much more willing to help you out. They are also a lot more organized. I terminated my application from Ross and put all my attention towards SMU.

I’m sure the Davenport program has been brought up to you. Also we do have a scholarship program if you or others qualify. Click here

I can talk more about the Davenport program if you would like. Feel free to give me a call. It’s easier than typing so much. :D

J

How much equine experience do you get at SMU? How about opportunities to ride (other than expensive beach rides)? I saw there is a dressage barn and a jumper barn on the island.

How much equine experience do you get at SMU? How about opportunities to ride (other than expensive beach rides)? I saw there is a dressage barn and a jumper barn on the island.

SMU currently has two clinic horses that we use for hands on training in our clinical skills labs. We also use these horses for club wet labs if needed. One of the veterinarians at SMU started an equine rescue/sancutary last semester and she currently has two horses. They are not rideable but if you're just looking for time to spend with horses, everyone is more than welcome to volunteer. :) SMU and some of the students here have contacts with local horse people. I actually am currently riding a couple 3 year olds for a guy that runs a horseback beach riding business. Not a lot of training, just putting some extra miles on them. Yes, there are several horse stables here and I know people take jumping and dressage lessons. I've visited one of the stables and it was very nice with two nice size arenas. What kind of riding are you looking to do? English or Western? Let me know if I can answer anymore questions. :D

-V-

Very cool! Honestly, when I saw there were some nice boarding barns, I tried to look up what it takes to bring my horse (it has to be cheaper than Europe, right?! Lol) but didn't find anything. I would LOVE island life, but I'd be pretty lost without horses in my life (they are my reason for wanting to be a vet afterall!)

Also, curious with how the different schools have different clinical start dates, do people often spend more than four years to finish (2.5 years on the island, time waiting for next round of clinicals then 1.5 years of clinics)?

Ps I ride upper level jumpers, but Ive been riding dressage now for 3 years. My young horse just starting jumping, but is going to do the FEI young horse division this season, before I decide what I want to. So I'm happy with either discipline (and I've ridden one reining round!) I think I could do any discipline and be happy. :)

Last edited:
Very cool! Honestly, when I saw there were some nice boarding barns, I tried to look up what it takes to bring my horse (it has to be cheaper than Europe, right?! Lol) but didn't find anything. I would LOVE island life, but I'd be pretty lost without horses in my life (they are my reason for wanting to be a vet afterall!)

Also, curious with how the different schools have different clinical start dates, do people often spend more than four years to finish (2.5 years on the island, time waiting for next round of clinicals then 1.5 years of clinics)?

Haha, I'm sure it's much cheaper than shipping your horse to Europe, but I don't know if it would be worth it in the long run. You could definitely find places to ride and spend time with horses down there. You could even go out with me to the place I ride if you like. :)

I totally understand how you would feel lost without your horses! I'm the same way haha. As soon as I got involved with the horse rescue and riding on the side, it has definitely helped me. :)

Are you meaning that our clinical spot schools have different start dates? You go 7 semesters here on island (28 months) and then have around a month off before starting your clinical rotations. Some people had around 3 weeks, and others had a little over a month. It just depends when the clinical spot school wants to start you on rotations. Thru out your clinical year you get around 3 weeks off as "vacation time" and that has to be worked into your whole clinical schedule. Lots of students choose to take this break over Christmas, but I've known students to split it up into weeks. Again, it all depends what clinical spot you go to, and the schedule is worked out before you start rotations. There have been instances where people have needed to take a semester (4 months) off for personal reasons before starting their clinical year, but that is the minority. Most people go right into clinics after their 7th semester. The 3-4 week break between 7th semester and starting clinicals also helps you move all your stuff back home and get settled at the new school that you will be attending. And it's also nice to have a break too lol :D

We have trimesters at SMU so we attend school year around with classes starting in January, May, and September. These are also the months that you would start clinical rotations. So if you're 7th semester on island was January - April, then you would start clinicals sometime in May. I hope I was able to answer your questions. If not, let me know! :oops:

-V-

I can talk more about the Davenport program if you would like. Feel free to give me a call. It’s easier than typing so much. :D

J
Quick question, on average, what percentage or amount of tuition would the Davenport program cover? Thank you!

Quick question, on average, what percentage or amount of tuition would the Davenport program cover? Thank you!

You recieve $7,500 for regular loans and if you qualify for the grad plus loan then it is an extra $3,000 (or something close to that.) So you can potentially recieve $10,500 per semester. SMU has 3 semesters a year and the tuition per semester is around $11,000.

Davenport helps students cover most of their tuition so you only need to come up with extra money for living expenses and the remaining tuition.

If you have anymore questions just let me know! :thumbup:

-V-

You recieve $7,500 for regular loans and if you qualify for the grad plus loan then it is an extra $3,000 (or something close to that.) So you can potentially recieve $10,500 per semester. SMU has 3 semesters a year and the tuition per semester is around $11,000.

Davenport helps students cover most of their tuition so you only need to come up with extra money for living expenses and the remaining tuition.

If you have anymore questions just let me know! :thumbup:

-V-

Thats phenomenal! I was under the impression I would have to rule out SMU due to my inability to obtain large loans. I have enough savings to cover my living expenses while I would be on the island, but I definitely don't have $11,000 per semester for tuition! Thanks for the good news!!!

Thats phenomenal! I was under the impression I would have to rule out SMU due to my inability to obtain large loans. I have enough savings to cover my living expenses while I would be on the island, but I definitely don't have $11,000 per semester for tuition! Thanks for the good news!!!

No problem! :D

When do you plan to apply?

-V-

Just to add. A couple of students helped out at the Equestrian Center on the island. There is actually a yearly riding competition which is international (among all the Caribbean Islands). I’m sure the folks there would have a lot more info about shipping horses to and from the island as they routinely do it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equestrian-Center-Cayman-Islands/121057857937531

http://www.ecayonline.com/equestria...stables-grand-cayman-islands_company3095.html

There is also a group of western style riders on the island...although not your discipline but they are a great bunch to hang out with. I can get you their contact information if you would like.

Lastly, you can contact the Department of Agriculture directly:

Agriculture

Director of Agriculture
Mr. Adrian Estwick
Address
181 Lottery Rd., Bodden Town, Grand Cayman
Mailing Address
P. O. Box 459, Grand Cayman KY1-1106, CAYMAN ISLANDS
Telephone
(345) 947-6501
Fax
(345) 947-2634
Email
[email protected]

J

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry for the delay but V had you covered. I would though remind you that those figures are if you have a Bachelor’s Degree. If you do not that is not a tremendous problem with the Davenport program however, the money would be less as yo would work towards an Bachelor’s in Administration/Business.

Another thing I would just throw out there is that tuition does increase when you finish your year of clinics in the USA/Canada. The tuition goes up but the living expenses goes down. My current living expenses in Raleigh, NC are about $1000 USD/month.

Depending when you apply you actually could start Davenport (once accepted to SMU) prior to starting. For example if you were accepted for the August class you could do Davenport over the summer and “BANK” the $10,000 or so and help take off some of your extra expenses or strain on your savings later. Just a bit of a trick that I have been recommending to folks for some time now. And it works out well for them.

J

Many students have actually done several semesters of Davenport before coming down here, not just one.

-V-

Last edited:
Also, the Wranglers club and DOA really don't help much if you don't have your own horse. ;)

-V-

Good point. I should clarify.

I mentioned the Department of Agriculture as those would be the folks you need to speak with if you would like to have your horse brought to the island.

I know the folks from the Wrangles regularly ship horses to and from the US so again a good resource.

J

Good point. I should clarify.

I mentioned the Department of Agriculture as those would be the folks you need to speak with if you would like to have your horse brought to the island.

I know the folks from the Wrangles regularly ship horses to and from the US so again a good resource.

J

Thanks for the info!

No problem! :D

When do you plan to apply?

-V-

I'm still in the middle of pre req's, so not for a couple years :( but I'm a planner, I like to have my ducks in a row. Thank you again so much for the info :)

I'm still in the middle of pre req's, so not for a couple years :( but I'm a planner, I like to have my ducks in a row. Thank you again so much for the info :)

Hey, no prob! Just let me know if you have any more questions along the way. Just post here or send me a private message. Good luck with finishing up your undergrad requirements! :cool:

-V-

I have been accepted for the fall 2012 Vet class. I have also enrolled in the Davenport program. I really want to attend but I am having problems finding the right financing program. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best place/bank to apply to or the type of financing to look for?

I have been accepted for the fall 2012 Vet class. I have also enrolled in the Davenport program. I really want to attend but I am having problems finding the right financing program. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best place/bank to apply to or the type of financing to look for?

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Have you had any luck talking with Davenport about an appropriate bank?

A lot of folks (as per my experience) have used Wells Fargo. So you may want to look into them.

Also be sure that you have applied for the grad plus loan.

J

I am considering SMU because some of the other schools out there are starting to come across like corporate money machines, their marketing is so super slick and over the top. Its a Caribbean school for pete's sake not Harvard. Some are almost cultist in a way, always smiling and flag waving, its weird. I like that SMU seems more laid back and understated. Please dont change.

And please don't change the website too much lol....I like the non- pretentious look, it is nice and different from the other corporate expensive looking ones out there. Yea it could use a little more info but that's all...:)

Is it true one of the advantages of SMU is that you get exposed to exotic animals...I love cats and dogs, but to be able to take care of other types of animals would be a major plus...how about hamsters? :)

How much extra study time a day is needed to do the Davenport. The last thing I want to do when going to Vet med school is to study stuff not related to animals!!...Are there any Davenport students that can tell us exactly how much of a commitment in time does it take?

ok, this might be somewhat of a silly question, but because I am a wimp, I really must ask... how bad are the hurricane threats down there? Have you had a problem with extreme weather since being down there? Like I said, I am a wimp and I'm not fond of natural disasters. I'm hesitant to apply to mid west schools because of tornadoes too lol St. Matthews is really interesting to me and I am thinking about applying if getting into a states school doesn't work out.

How much extra study time a day is needed to do the Davenport. The last thing I want to do when going to Vet med school is to study stuff not related to animals!!...Are there any Davenport students that can tell us exactly how much of a commitment in time does it take?

Chris, I can not speak from first hand experience as to how much time Davenport requires but I can tell you that the information is helpful. I’m out in practice now and a lot of things that come up require a business savvy mind. SMU has a good base program but the Davenport program for sure will give you the extra edge.

I agree that SMU is not the big corporate machine that the other schools are. The class sizes are considerably smaller and that alone allows students to get a very good education. You are truly not a number.

On island there are TONS of opportunities to work with various species of animals. Some of which you may never work with again. I can tell you that I never thought I would work on “exotic” animals (including pocket pets/small mammal) but now I’ve been flocked with them at my practice. People are happy to pay my office visit fee to have me examine and discuss husbandry topics with them on their bird, rabbit, ferret, etc.

ok, this might be somewhat of a silly question, but because I am a wimp, I really must ask... how bad are the hurricane threats down there? Have you had a problem with extreme weather since being down there? Like I said, I am a wimp and I'm not fond of natural disasters. I'm hesitant to apply to mid west schools because of tornadoes too lol St. Matthews is really interesting to me and I am thinking about applying if getting into a states school doesn't work out.

The hurricanes were not an issue during my time there. We had some pretty strong storms but nothing major. Typically Cayman does well at avoiding such storms because of it’s location. Mostly the island gets hit with the outer bands of wind/precipitation. Jump on the opportunity! Don’t let the weather worry you. There are WAY more days of pleasant weather! :)

Please post any more questions!

J

Hey Chris,

I'm a 5th semester right now and I personally don't do Davenport, but half the students in my class do. There was a recent survey that went around and the students spend between 15-20 hours per week on Davenport. The students are all in different classes as well, so that will help to give you an idea of how much time you'll need. Hope that helps!

-V-

Thanks for all the information guys! From what I can tell, SMU seems to be a great program and I'm seriously considering applying if I don't get in this cycle. Maybe they will be accredited when I apply???:xf:

How well prepared do you feel to come back to the states for clinicals? Do you feel as well prepared as U.S. student? How much practice do you get as far as surgeries and clinical procedures goes? SMU seems like the kind of thing where if you put a lot into it and want to learn a lot, you will get a lot out of it.

So what exactly is that Davenport thing? What do you do for it?

Thanks for all the information guys! From what I can tell, SMU seems to be a great program and I'm seriously considering applying if I don't get in this cycle. Maybe they will be accredited when I apply???:xf:

How well prepared do you feel to come back to the states for clinicals? Do you feel as well prepared as U.S. student? How much practice do you get as far as surgeries and clinical procedures goes? SMU seems like the kind of thing where if you put a lot into it and want to learn a lot, you will get a lot out of it.

It truly is a GREAT program. I'm not sure if the university will be accredited by the time you apply but potentially by the time that you graduate?

I can tell you that since coming back to the US, going through clinics, graduating, and now practicing I had been fully prepared. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that any experience is as good as you make of it. If you do not take advantage of every opportunity, and go the extra mile your experience will be mediocre or sub-par. But if you take every opportunity available and approach every obstacle in stride you will be the best you can be. You hit it exactly on the head! I've said this before on this thread but I would not give back my experience for anything in the world!

So what exactly is that Davenport thing? What do you do for it?

The Davenport program is an online MBA program. The program allows SMU students (med and vet) to receive loans to help fund their Davenport costs as well as SMU tuition costs. This is the form of lending program that we have available at this time. Many of the students at SMU are enrolled in the program through Davenport. Davenport had also recently sent a survey out (as well as had internal discussions) do develop on online MPH program. Having an MPH will be very helpful to those that want to go into public services or even the military (not that the MBA is not helpful as it is).

Please feel free to post more questions.

J

I am most likely going to school in the US because I really like my local school and my bf is here. But if they did get that MPH and get accredited, I might think about going there. Although, accreditation could run up the cost of tuition, right?

I am most likely going to school in the US because I really like my local school and my bf is here. But if they did get that MPH and get accredited, I might think about going there. Although, accreditation could run up the cost of tuition, right?

I'm not sure if the accreditation would drive up the price of tuition. But I do know that tuition will always be placed below/competitively to US/Caribbean Schools.

J

I'm not sure if the accreditation would drive up the price of tuition. But I do know that tuition will always be placed below/competitively to US/Caribbean Schools.

J

Well that's good to hear!

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions, considering going back to school can be daunting enough without adding in the foreign country factor - so all the answers really help!

1. I graduated with a psychology major and sociology minor in 2004. Do you think having a psychology major will negatively affect my application? Or what about the fact that I've been out of school for a while? What suggestions do you have so I could improve my chances? I do have volunteer experience at animal rescue centers.

2. In terms of the pets accepted in the suites, I read about small dogs, but what about a cat?

3.I would be moving there with my husband, and hopefully our cat (she's like our baby), do you think that financially we would be better off living off campus? Can you give me an estimate of monthly living expenses (not including tuition, but including things as rent, utilities, and all other expenses) on vs. off campus? I would like to budget myself accordingly, and would like to know how much monthly income I would need to be able to comfortably afford living expenses.

Again, thank you for your help and input, it's very helpful.

I'm applying to SMU! I'm going to wait until after fall semester so I can add those grades into my cum GPA. I'm hoping to get into the August or May class. Still haven't decided whether I want the extra time to get everything settled and maybe make some extra money or just go ahead and jump right in. I know the August class is generally more competitive and I would rather go in May than have to wait until January. But I'm not too worried about it. Anyways, if anyone who has gone through the admissions process has any tips or advice, I would love to hear from you! :)

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions, considering going back to school can be daunting enough without adding in the foreign country factor - so all the answers really help!

1. I graduated with a psychology major and sociology minor in 2004. Do you think having a psychology major will negatively affect my application? Or what about the fact that I've been out of school for a while? What suggestions do you have so I could improve my chances? I do have volunteer experience at animal rescue centers.

I don't think so at all! We have had students at SMU that have degrees from all different backgrounds. Diversity is a nice thing when it comes to veterinary medicine. We are gearing towards not having EVERY person be a Bio major (or other science major). I think the thought of having a science degree is and "old" mind set.

To improve your chances, as well as generally improving your "resume" would for sure include animal experience. I can tell you that I'm happy to see people apply that have any sort of animal experience. You would be amazed that people apply to vet school (or med school for that matter) without ANY experience in the profession they want to devote a lot of time and money to. The more experience the better!

2. In terms of the pets accepted in the suites, I read about small dogs, but what about a cat?

Cats are also accepted ! :)

3.I would be moving there with my husband, and hopefully our cat (she's like our baby), do you think that financially we would be better off living off campus? Can you give me an estimate of monthly living expenses (not including tuition, but including things as rent, utilities, and all other expenses) on vs. off campus? I would like to budget myself accordingly, and would like to know how much monthly income I would need to be able to comfortably afford living expenses.

A couple of students had put together financial breakdowns. It was figured that expenses were anywhere from $1500 USD (very low figure) to as high as $2000 USD per month. That is however for one person in most cases. But I think that with a husband/wife/ or otherwise you would only have a little bit more in cost. For you, you can see if your husband can land a job on the island or even "work" from home with a US company (even telemarketing or something). I will give you the heads up that jobs in the Caymans are hard to come by due to the economy (there is no escaping it :(). But some people have gotten very lucky and landed GREAT jobs.

Again, thank you for your help and input, it's very helpful.

I hope that helps!!!!!

Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been very busy working general and ER practice!

J

SMU has a few openings left for students for the Fall Semester and there is a new program called “Fast Track” admissions if you would like to come this fall rather than waiting for next year to enter veterinary school. Just contact the admissions office and say you want to be considered for the fall and they will talk to you about how to go forward. There’s only a few spots open so the sooner you contact SMU, the better than chances are that you can start in the Fall!!!!

I highly encourage you to apply even if you are thinking about it. If you want more information please feel free to email me. I try to make myself as available as possible. My email address is [email protected]. You can also skype me too! drjoe6208.

I've said many times that SMU provides by far one of the best educations. I think mostly that is because of the dedication from the faculty but also the SMALL classes. You will not be a number!!!! Everyone will know your name, where you are from, what you like to do, where you want to go in your career. And most of all will help you get there!

J

Hey Valerie,

I was thinking of transferring to SMU, i don't know if they accept transfers though. I was wondering how are the professors, exams and classes like?

Hey noodle! Yes, they do accept transfers and we have quite a few here. Schedules vary from semester to semester so it all depends what semester you were wanting to transfer into. We do 3 semesters in a year here for a total of 7 semesters before we head to clinics. Email me at [email protected] and send me all your questions and I'd be more than happy to answer them. :)

-V-

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for all the good information :).

The Cayman Islands requires a round-trip ticket, which is great and all, but how difficult is it to move out of the RH or apartments there to come home? Is there a storage place between apartments, or do students continue to rent while they're away?

Also, can you stay over breaks? I'm not going to come home for every break to save a little $, but is that a fairly easy thing to do?

SMU is similar to Ross. Meaning that they have 3 semesters per year rather than two. You have about 2-3 weeks break in between each semester. I think that they do it to help get students on and off the island as quickly as possible because it is rather expensive and difficult to go back and forth. That being said, I would imagine that you don't really have to move out between breaks unless you are moving from one apt to another. I may be wrong though, I'm sure one of the SMU students will answer as well =)

Ah, another question. The uniform requirements say that females can wear skirts, but they're a little vague on whether or not females can wear shorts.

And can the polos be tank-tops? I guess the students survive, but aren't you all pretty warm? I tend to be on the warmer side, so this might just be me.

Ah, another question. The uniform requirements say that females can wear skirts, but they're a little vague on whether or not females can wear shorts.

And can the polos be tank-tops? I guess the students survive, but aren't you all pretty warm? I tend to be on the warmer side, so this might just be me.

women can wear pants, skirts, or shorts I believe. I would guess that the polos have to be the traditional short sleeved collared things, but I'm not sure.

The Cayman Islands requires a round-trip ticket, which is great and all, but how difficult is it to move out of the RH or apartments there to come home? Is there a storage place between apartments, or do students continue to rent while they're away?

Also, can you stay over breaks? I'm not going to come home for every break to save a little $, but is that a fairly easy thing to do?

You actually dont "need" a round trip ticket. They say that just to have a cover but you actually don't ask. I had one the first semester but never had one after that. So if you haven't bought one yet no worries.

J

I forgot to answer your other question. You can for sure stay on island, and many people do. If you stay in the student housing units they are very accomidating. If you get an apartment that makes things even more worth it for you. Just as an FYI people can make some extra money if staying there on break by offering house sitting or pet sittings. Just a thought.

SMU is similar to Ross. Meaning that they have 3 semesters per year rather than two. You have about 2-3 weeks break in between each semester. I think that they do it to help get students on and off the island as quickly as possible because it is rather expensive and difficult to go back and forth. That being said, I would imagine that you don't really have to move out between breaks unless you are moving from one apt to another. I may be wrong though, I'm sure one of the SMU students will answer as well =)

That is correct. The student housing director is pretty good about things like that. Flights on and off the island (Grand Cayman) are far cheaper and more convenient that leaving St. Kitts or even Grenada (for SGU folks).

Ladies can wear skirts/shorts as long as they are not shorter than your fingertips. You can not wear tank tops. You can wear short sleeve or long sleeve shirts, either or. Also, they DO NOT HAVE to be POLO brand. They simply have to have a collar. You can even have a full button down if you wanted.

The biggest thing is that students look professional. The Camanians are very big on appropriate attire as well as traditional and we want to be respecful of their culture.

women can wear pants, skirts, or shorts I believe. I would guess that the polos have to be the traditional short sleeved collared things, but I'm not sure.

Please don't hesitate to post any more questions!

Dr. Joe

I had a couple of question about uniforms, too.

Do we have to buy a lab coat before coming to the island? If so, does this have to be from the University Online website like the scrubs? Do the coveralls have to come from there?
How many scrubs do students get away with bringing?

Last edited:
You do not have to buy a lab coat before you come on island and you won't need that until later semesters. You do not have to buy anything of the University Online website if you don't want to, as long as you can find what you need somewhere else. I would suggest shopping around because you can find the things for much cheaper. Scrubs have to be ceil blue and the coveralls have to be dark navy blue. Scrubs can not be worn to class and can only be worn out at labs. I personally have 5 pairs of scrubs and that's more than enough. I would suggest getting at least 3. :) You also will not need the coveralls or black rubber boots until 3rd semester.

-V-

hi all, must commend ur effort its bin enlightening.:thumbup: :thumbup:. Just applied for spring '13 but transcript evaluation is a challenge ryte now i strongly believe i'd get in .. how much does it cost to have a reasonable good Broadband service (apart from dat d school provides) and which would yu recommend ?

if only a lot of prospective applicant stumble on dis thread and not 'em stupid school bashing sites :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

hi all, must commend ur effort its bin enlightening.:thumbup: :thumbup:. Just applied for spring '13 but transcript evaluation is a challenge ryte now i strongly believe i'd get in .. how much does it cost to have a reasonable good Broadband service (apart from dat d school provides) and which would yu recommend ?

if only a lot of prospective applicant stumble on dis thread and not 'em stupid school bashing sites :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

You are very welcome for the information.

As for internet on the island I would recommend LIME (used to be called Cable and Wireless). It is the faster internet service on the island.

J