St. Matthews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone on here give me some insight about this school. I just recieved their a brochure and it looks like an extremely nice school. what is it really like though? any negatives?

Members don't see this ad.

St. Matthew's is a relatively new school in the Caribbean scene. It had a lot of problems when I first started at the school, namely due to bad management in addition to the newly formed school kinks that you'll see around.

Since then, they have changed administrations and moved to Cayman Islands. Since the move things have improved dramatically. We have on-line access to all our records (registrar, fin aid, etc) in addition to access to many journals. Other improvements have been more efficient service from the office regarding fin aid, rotation scheduling, and registration. I am now in clinicals so I don't directly know about the teaching but the word from others is that it is solid now compared to the early years.

My advice to you would be to try the US school, DO schools, SGU, Ross, or AUC. If those options (for whatever reason) do not pan out then St. Matthew's is a great option. I mention the other schools ahead of SMU because they have California & NY approval whereas SMU is in the approval process as we speak.

Best of Luck!

Just an FYI for those considering SMU and other carrib schools. Many residency programs now require graduation from a medical school that has been in existance for AT LEAST 15 years. I think SGU qualifies, but I'm not sure about the others. I can't tell you how many programs are doing this but I know it's becoming more common. My residency is by no means Ivy League (very middle tier) and my specialty is by no means competitive (neurology), yet my program now has this requirement. Don't misunderstand, I would have happily gone carribean if it had become necessary, but it should be a last resort (at least 2-3 application cycles). It is NOT an easy route to the US. Good luck!:D