St. Petersburg animal nutrition/science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxxFox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was about to call and sign up for OSU's animal nutrition class and was looking more into St. Petersburg's animal nutrition and science courses. I am a Florida resident and my ideal school is UF (have visited UFCVM and fell in love), but I'm also going to apply to other veterinary schools in the south (considering Auburn, NC State, etc.). Has anyone had experience with the St. Petersburg animal nutrition or science course and know if they are acceptable to other schools aside from UF? How was either course?

I know St. Pete is slightly cheaper, at least for me being IS, and obviously looking to save money anywhere I can. I've tried to look in the search option but haven't been successful in finding an answer to this question yet! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took the animal nutrition course last summer, it was pretty easy. You have to sign into the site at least 3 times a week, you're assigned sections to read from the textbook and have to answer discussion questions based on that and the teacher's notes. There are also crossword puzzles and quizzes I think. No proctored exams or anything, which is nice because you don't have to worry about getting someone to watch you. I'm sure there was more but I can't remember off the top of my head. UF definitely accepts their courses, a lot of the people taking it when I did were either applicants or incoming 1st years. The nutrition course is accepted by NCSU as well, and UT doesn't require animal nutrition or animal science. I don't know about the other schools.

I took both and they are great. I did learn a lot and am able to put it to use. I know all the schools I'm applying to will accept these courses because the college offers 4 year degrees and is not a community college. I hope that helps. Definitely recommend taking if you are in state for the in state tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! I have done more research and am now thinking I am wanting to take the courses here, for IS tuition. We all want to save money where we can!

Would either of you mind briefing me through the process of how to sign up for these courses? Not quite sure how that is going to work since I currently attend UCF. Also, how long were you guys given to complete the course? Does it follow the regular semester (fall/spring) situation or is it like OSU's course where you have a year to complete it?

I'm from FL too and almost all the prevets at my undergrad took those 2 courses at St. Petes and they haven't had any problems applying to all the schools. You have to "apply" to get into St. Petes as a non-degree seeking student. It's fairly self-explanatory if you go on their website. After a few days you'll be able to enroll and you just sign up for the course(s). I ended up taking Animal Nutrition with OSU since I liked that it was self-paced and it was almost the same price as SP.

I'm from FL too and almost all the prevets at my undergrad took those 2 courses at St. Petes and they haven't had any problems applying to all the schools. You have to "apply" to get into St. Petes as a non-degree seeking student. It's fairly self-explanatory if you go on their website. After a few days you'll be able to enroll and you just sign up for the course(s). I ended up taking Animal Nutrition with OSU since I liked that it was self-paced and it was almost the same price as SP.

Is it almost the same price? I may have been looking into the wrong thing but from what I saw there was a 250ish difference in price. But I'm glad you brought that up! I do like the self-paced aspect of OSU's course. So, SPC's is semester based then, correct? And all online? The only difference I've found between OSU and SPC's courses is the self-paced factor and that with OSU things have to be proctored, while SPC all the exams are online.

Is it almost the same price? I may have been looking into the wrong thing but from what I saw there was a 250ish difference in price. But I'm glad you brought that up! I do like the self-paced aspect of OSU's course. So, SPC's is semester based then, correct? And all online? The only difference I've found between OSU and SPC's courses is the self-paced factor and that with OSU things have to be proctored, while SPC all the exams are online.

There was only like a $50 difference when I was looking into it. Actually that's more like a $10 difference since you gotta pay a $40 application fee to get into St. Petes. Yeah SPC's is semester based and all online. From what my friends told me, the most annoying part is having to do discussions with other classmates where you gotta write something and then read X amount other people's stuff and discuss. The tests were online and basically open-book. OSU is a good option if you have a month or two of free time and you wanna knock it out in one swing. It's also just as easy as SPC because the professor gives you his own packet of notes so there's very minimal reading involved. Both are good options with their own pros and cons, but if the price difference really is $250 right now then I would go with St. Petes.

Edit: forgot to point out that I'm talking about the Animal Nutrition course only since I didn't get into UF and didn't have to take AnSci. >.>