Staffing Company Protocol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the protocol for working for these companies? Can one work for several at the same time? What is the view of leaving them for alternate employment? What are the best ones for a new grad wanting to do something more clinical? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've recently tlked to a traveling pharmacist outfit. They have some interesting clinical roles, but I am hesitant to quit my part time pharm job for limited duration gigs, about three months. Apparently, pharmacists move from gig to gig as they expire, but I don't know how feasible this is, as I have no background in this kind of work scheme. Anyone familiar with this work?

If you are good there is a good chance they will keep you. They have to pay the staffing agency to convert you though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean stay on long term with the staffing agency, need be. Additionally, how petty are the clients, are they pump and dump if you don't meet every expectation?

Yup, that's why they are paying $90+ per hour to the agency. No commitment.

How about the staffing company itself? Do they have a decent committment to us, the pharmacist?

If you are good there is a good chance they will keep you. They have to pay the staffing agency to convert you though.

Why can't you just apply as a FT applicant to that company if they like you? I'm guessing there is something in the contract that prevents you from ditching the staffing agency and being an employee at the client company then?

Why can't you just apply as a FT applicant to that company if they like you? I'm guessing there is something in the contract that prevents you from ditching the staffing agency and being an employee at the client company then?
this is correct - I have moonlighted for a couple staffing agencies at a time - and I have hired them when I was a director - but yes - you sign a non-compete claise that you won't work directly for the company without a big fee

The company also can't hire any candidates that were referred by an agency they have a contract with unless they pay a fee to the agency. This is why many job postings have a disclaimer that they don't accept unsolicited resumes from agencies.

I think the policies vary from company to company. Having a good resume will most certainly improve your chances of getting hired, although it depends on client demands and how good the msp/vms staffing agency is.

I got one of those probing questions about remuneration. It's difficult to find out any info on the topic in regards to staffing companies. There is per diem, housing, etc. They are asking what wage rates I want. I don't know what to say. I just said the prevailing in and outpatient rates in my area. How could I have handled that better? What is reasonable to ask for?

It seems like the wage rate is lower than non-staffing, but by how much? There is a per diem, but it doesn't seem like more than 1.5 hours worth of pay/day. There seems to be health care and a 401k as standard.

Is this normal? Shouldn't there be a premium for this type of work?

Last edited:
Generally contract companies pay substantially higher wages, but that is because they don't have any benefits....if your company is offering benefits, then you aren't going to get any premium pay.