General Admissions & OTCAS Stanbridge MSOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got a call from the admissions office telling me i have an interview on march 25th.. if anyone has any words of advice it would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i got a call from the admissions office telling me i have an interview on march 25th.. if anyone has any words of advice it would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

When did you submit OTCAS and the supplemental app? How long did it take them to contact you? Asking for a friend.

When did you submit OTCAS and the supplemental app? How long did it take them to contact you? Asking for a friend.

i submitted my OTCAS on 2/16. they called me on tuesday night (2/23) informing me i passed the prequalifications and would have a skype interview since I'm from new jersey.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would research the program and what specific points made this an attractive program to you.

I posted some mock interview questions in another thread.

Generic questions will typically be:
1.) why did you decide on school "X"? What makes this program more attractive than another program?
2.) how did you become interested in OT?
3.) what are the characteristics you think a good OT should possess? Tell me which of these you possess?
4.) what are your strengths and weaknesses?
5.) how do you deal with conflict? Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict, what you did and what would you do differently.
6.) Give me an example of a time when you were in a leadership position.

Curveball questions:
1.) Tell me the difference you perceive between a Nurse, PT and OT
2.) What did you learn from your observation and volunteer experiences?
3.) how have you prepared for the rigorous academic schedule of graduate school?
4.) Tell me your life philosophy?

Finally - what questions do you have for me or about the program in general?
This one is IMPORTANT, do not say nothing. This questions shows that you were actively researching and exploring the program, its requirements, curriculum, core values, and learning outcomes. Make sure you have something to say.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/for-fall-2016-applicant.1146132/#post-17439004

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I would research the program and what specific points made this an attractive program to you.

I posted some mock interview questions in another thread.

Generic questions will typically be:
1.) why did you decide on school "X"? What makes this program more attractive than another program?
2.) how did you become interested in OT?
3.) what are the characteristics you think a good OT should possess? Tell me which of these you possess?
4.) what are your strengths and weaknesses?
5.) how do you deal with conflict? Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict, what you did and what would you do differently.
6.) Give me an example of a time when you were in a leadership position.

Curveball questions:
1.) Tell me the difference you perceive between a Nurse, PT and OT
2.) What did you learn from your observation and volunteer experiences?
3.) how have you prepared for the rigorous academic schedule of graduate school?
4.) Tell me your life philosophy?

Finally - what questions do you have for me or about the program in general?
This one is IMPORTANT, do not say nothing. This questions shows that you were actively researching and exploring the program, its requirements, curriculum, core values, and learning outcomes. Make sure you have something to say.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/for-fall-2016-applicant.1146132/#post-17439004

Best of luck.

this is great! thanks for your help. i appreciate it

The comment that Stanbridge doesn't not offer financial aid is not true. I am a 2nd year MSOT student and we apply for financial aid and fill out the FAFSA each year. Also, although there are no scholarships offered by the school there are many scholarships out there that are open to students, including from AOTA, CFOT, and other non-OT graduate education scholarships. I have been able to get scholarships to reduce my tuition. Please check with financial aid again. There may have been a miscommunication.

Thank you for the honest response! I was wondering if you knew of any packages that would allow me to take out additional loans (more than the cost of tuition) to pay for my rent for the duration of the program? Also, how are you liking the program? What should I expect in the interview? What recommendations do you have as far as preparation goes? Sorry for the over load of questions!

For all those who have upcoming interviews, I was wondering if your admissions representative/counselor also scheduled a financial aid meeting for you with a Stanbridge financial rep?

Good luck to everyone!:)

Thank you for the honest response! I was wondering if you knew of any packages that would allow me to take out additional loans (more than the cost of tuition) to pay for my rent for the duration of the program? Also, how are you liking the program? What should I expect in the interview? What recommendations do you have as far as preparation goes? Sorry for the over load of questions!

Yes, many of my classmates take out for living expenses and tuition. It's different for everyone but most likely part of it will come from federal, part will need to be from private loans. You can set up an appointment with financial aid to see your options. Some students work during school which is completely possible. You only have two days of didactic coursework--either monday/wednesday or tuesday/thursday. I go to class Monday and Wednesday, then work the other 3 days.

I love the program. There are always pros and cons to everything but as I wrote to another person who DM'd me, " Of course there are always pros and cons but the pros outweigh the cons. I don't have another program to compare it to but so far our students from cohort 1 (earlier than me) are doing well in fieldwork 2 so they were prepared as best they could be. The main point is that you also have a responsibility to make your education what it should and can be. Be proactive and do the work, but also take it a step further and make sure that you're prepared to be an OTR through extracurricular activities with the school's Student OT Association , volunteer opportunities, and other programs"

Interview - I don't know the exact format, but you'll probably meet with more than one. They will most likely be an instructor from the MSOT program or an MSOT administrator. Just prepare yourself by answering some of the questions that are listed in the post above. I thought those were pretty good. Also be prepared to define OT in your own words.

Preparation - I don't think there is anything else that you should prepare for other than the obvious. I think there is a writing sample that they will have you do after the interview. Keep in mind that since the school has been accredited, there is a big swell of applicants. You'll need to prove why you stand out. Reference any volunteering you did that applies, or anything you got to do that went above and beyond in your observation hours, or undergrad merits, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, many of my classmates take out for living expenses and tuition. It's different for everyone but most likely part of it will come from federal, part will need to be from private loans. You can set up an appointment with financial aid to see your options. Some students work during school which is completely possible. You only have two days of didactic coursework--either monday/wednesday or tuesday/thursday. I go to class Monday and Wednesday, then work the other 3 days.

I love the program. There are always pros and cons to everything but as I wrote to another person who DM'd me, " Of course there are always pros and cons but the pros outweigh the cons. I don't have another program to compare it to but so far our students from cohort 1 (earlier than me) are doing well in fieldwork 2 so they were prepared as best they could be. The one thing I don't like is that since I'm only in cohort 2, some of the courses are still being reworked and refined. We're like the guinea pigs and there are parts of courses that could have been better in terms of assignments, things we learned and focused on, etc. As each cohort goes through they ask for feedback to improve for future classes so it will improve as we go along. The main point is that you also have a responsibility to make your education what it should and can be. Be proactive and do the work, but also take it a step further and make sure that you're prepared to be an OTR through extracurricular activities with the school's Student OT Association , volunteer opportunities, and other programs"

Interview - I don't know the exact format, but you'll probably meet with more than one. They will most likely be an instructor from the MSOT program or an MSOT administrator. Just prepare yourself by answering some of the questions that are listed in the post above. I thought those were pretty good. Also be prepared to define OT in your own words.

Preparation - I don't think there is anything else that you should prepare for other than the obvious. I think there is a writing sample that they will have you do after the interview. Keep in mind that since the school has been accredited, there is a big swell of applicants. You'll need to prove why you stand out. Reference any volunteering you did that applies, or anything you got to do that went above and beyond in your observation hours, or undergrad merits, etc.

Thank you! This was helpful! I was wondering, my GRE scores met their requirements with the exception of one section (I have 4 points below their preferred scores). Will this be detrimental? I have a high GPA and a Bachelors degree in Kinesiology and an outstanding GPA in the pre reqs. I appreciate all your feedback!

Are people on here applying for the May start or September start?

I am applying for the May start! I submitted OTCAS 2/22 and a rep called me on 2/24 to talk to me about my application and send me the supplemental. She said that after my supplemental app was complete she would call me to set up a Skype interview, but it's been a week and I haven't heard anything. I emailed her yesterday but haven't gotten a response yet :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying for the May start! I submitted OTCAS 2/22 and a rep called me on 2/24 to talk to me about my application and send me the supplemental. She said that after my supplemental app was complete she would call me to set up a Skype interview, but it's been a week and I haven't heard anything. I emailed her yesterday but haven't gotten a response yet :/
Thanks for the reply! Wishing you the best on your application process!! Stay positive!

Hello! Congrats on getting an interview :] I am currently a student at Stanbridge and I think that the preparation questions posted on here are perfect to get you some practice thinking about the questions that may be asked at the interview. Definitely know how you define OT. My biggest advice would be to try and make your answers clear and concise. Make sure that you are completely answering the questions and explaining your experiences but try your best not to ramble. I know this can be really tough in a situation where you are nervous but try practicing with some friends/family and maybe even have them throw some questions at you that you aren't prepared for so that you can practice how you will handle that situation too. Feel free to message me directly with any questions. Good Luck!

Can students receive loans through fafsa for these schools?
Yes! I am currently a student and receive FAFSA as do most of my classmates. I also have a grad plus loan. You can speak with the financial aid office to determine what would be necessary for you but I assure you that you can use loans for this school. Also, you can apply for some scholarships through ATOF or other organizations that offer them. I know that some of my classmates also take out extra loans to help with living expenses.

Has anyone interviewed for the May start date? Any advice?

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed for the May start date? Any advice or help with the interview questions? I am nervous
Just be yourself, it wouldn't be fair to tell you the questions they asked but I would just be familiar with the basic interview questions and just know why you want to become an OT

What is everyone's thoughts on the tuition? Is anyone else concerned with taking out 100k in loans? With a recurring interest for ten years? I understand it is an investment in my future, I am not doubting my passion or capability. I am only concerned that upon admission, I will be faced to decide if such a cost of tuition is going to be feasible or even realistic? Anyone have any thoughts? I am open to further insight. Maybe I am looking at this wrong.

What is everyone's thoughts on the tuition? Is anyone else concerned with taking out 100k in loans? With a recurring interest for ten years? I understand it is an investment in my future, I am not doubting my passion or capability. I am only concerned that upon admission, I will be faced to decide if such a cost of tuition is going to be feasible or even realistic? Anyone have any thoughts? I am open to further insight. Maybe I am looking at this wrong.

For non state (non-public school) in California the school's tuition is on par. While it's relatively new and not as established. ALL schools in California are expensive. We call it a sunshine tax. The reality is if you pass your boards you can practice wherever you like. So it's a personal call on whether it's worth it. Or to attend a more affordable school and move back to socal at a later date.

For non state (non-public school) in California the school's tuition is on par. While it's relatively new and not as established. ALL schools in California are expensive. We call it a sunshine tax. The reality is if you pass your boards you can practice wherever you like. So it's a personal call on whether it's worth it. Or to attend a more affordable school and move back to socal at a later date.

I understand it is a personal choice. I would like to stay close to my grandparents (who raised me) and would like to know more about how realistic it is to take out so much in loans and build a career in Cali. If anyone has heard any stories or knows OTs who went to school here and/or took out equivalent to 100k in loans and work in Cali and how that's working for them....

I understand it is a personal choice. I would like to stay close to my grandparents (who raised me) and would like to know more about how realistic it is to take out so much in loans and build a career in Cali. If anyone has heard any stories or knows OTs who went to school here and/or took out equivalent to 100k in loans and work in Cali and how that's working for them....

Can you work in OT and live in California? Of course.

There are some significant factors that come into play when you ask what's "realistic".

1.) What area of OT would you like to pursue? Pay and job opportunities vary (sometimes significantly) depending on the setting.

2.) Where in California would you want to live? Cost of living in Central California vs Marin County (norcal) vs Westwood (socal). Do you want to own property at some point? House, condominium? A small nice condo in San Diego is in excess of $350,000.00 plus hoa fees monthly *sigh* and that's not even by the beach.

3.) Personal taste and style of living. Typically your money/salary will go further and get you more outside of California, but I'm sure you know that.

I have had the pleasure of volunteering at a peds clinic where St. Augustine students do their level 2 field work. Tuition is around that 6 figure mark. Both passed their boards on their first try, work in the school systems (1 in San Bernardino County and the other in San Diego County) neither is rolling in dough but it is doable.

I know it's a lot of money, but in my opinion as an alternative path student. No amount of debt would deter me from doing something I love and making a differnece on a daily basis. Because I know what it's like to have a career that pays well but I hated, just felt like a cog in a giant corporation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I agree!

Anyone having a second interview with Stanbridge who didn't get in their first round?

Can you work in OT and live in California? Of course.

There are some significant factors that come into play when you ask what's "realistic".

1.) What area of OT would you like to pursue? Pay and job opportunities vary (sometimes significantly) depending on the setting.

2.) Where in California would you want to live? Cost of living in Central California vs Marin County (norcal) vs Westwood (socal). Do you want to own property at some point? House, condominium? A small nice condo in San Diego is in excess of $350,000.00 plus hoa fees monthly *sigh* and that's not even by the beach.

3.) Personal taste and style of living. Typically your money/salary will go further and get you more outside of California, but I'm sure you know that.

I have had the pleasure of volunteering at a peds clinic where St. Augustine students do their level 2 field work. Tuition is around that 6 figure mark. Both passed their boards on their first try, work in the school systems (1 in San Bernardino County and the other in San Diego County) neither is rolling in dough but it is doable.

I know it's a lot of money, but in my opinion as an alternative path student. No amount of debt would deter me from doing something I love and making a differnece on a daily basis. Because I know what it's like to have a career that pays well but I hated, just felt like a cog in a giant corporation.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This puts things in perspective. I sincerely appreciate your response. :)

Has anyone heard back from admissions yet?!

My admissions representative was nice enough to give me a call on Friday letting me know that unfortunately as much as they wanted to have an answer for us by now, they won't send out acceptances until April 1st. (FYI I interviewed on Feb 26th)

Has anyone been offered an acceptance for the May start?

Reactions: 1 users
received my acceptance for the September start last night! anyone else apply for then?

I was accepted to the may start date. Anyone else? We should start a Facebook group

Reactions: 2 users
I was just accepted for the September start!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to all of those accepted! Welcome to Stanbridge :] look forward to meeting you some day!

Can anyone who has been accepted post their stats? It would be greatly appreciated!

University: University of Delaware
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: V: 154 Q:154 W:4.5

Hours: 75 total (50 aquatic pediatric, 25 hospital)

University: Kennesaw State University
Major: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Prereq GPA: 3.6
GRE: V:152 Q:155 W:4.0

Hours: 85 (15 inpatient, 50 outpatient CHT, 20 piediatric)
Volunteer hours: 350 in hospitals and with special needs children
Work experience: 5000 hours as a care giver for a special needs teenager with Autism and Cerebral Palsy

I received my acceptance for May last Tuesday!

Hi Everyone,

I had my financial aid appointment with Stanbridge on Tuesday. I've secured loans for the entire program's tuition and fees (roughly 90k), but was told that the amount allowable to take out in loans for living expenses is 12k for the entire program (2 years). This in no way covers the entire cost of living in Irvine. I will be moving to the area soon and am at a loss for what to do other than work a part-time job during the program (which I would rather avoid). I have a second financial aid appointment set up in a few weeks.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

I had my financial aid appointment with Stanbridge on Tuesday. I've secured loans for the entire program's tuition and fees (roughly 90k), but was told that the amount allowable to take out in loans for living expenses is 12k for the entire program (2 years). This in no way covers the entire cost of living in Irvine. I will be moving to the area soon and am at a loss for what to do other than work a part-time job during the program (which I would rather avoid). I have a second financial aid appointment set up in a few weeks.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!
Private loans

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted into the program and now I am having second thoughts due to Stanbridge College institution being only nationally accredited as opposed to regionally accredited.

Now keep in mind that institution accreditation is different from program accreditation (Stanbridge's MSOT program is newly accredited by ACOTE but the institution itself is not regionally accredited, it is only nationally accredited). Regional accreditation is regarded as the standard in America.

I understand that there have been some discussions about this on the forums, so I was wondering if there was any recent update on this?

I believe this is a serious topic to discuss because when OTD schools and employers say under the qualifications section when applying/looking for a job, "applicant must have graduated from an accredited college or school", they usually mean regionally accredited (with some exceptions of course).

I don't mean to grim about Stanbridge College, because I do believe it is an upcoming decent program, however national accreditation vs regional accreditation is a very important matter to look at. Although Dr. Janis is in charge of the MSOT program, I don't know if she has any power/control over if the institution as a whole gets regionally accredited. Has anyone heard any news?

Thanks!

Are these good stats for stanbridge? I'm thinking of retaking my gres again

CGPA: 3.4
PGPA: 3.5-3.6
last 60: 3.5

GRE: V:148 Q:145 A: 3.5

-140 hours of observations (special needs school, private pediatric practice, nursing home/rehab center)
-2 years (2,000 + hours) of working at a special needs school. Assistant teacher/1:1 aide

Are these good stats for standbridge? I'm thinking of retaking the gres again

CGPA: 3.4
PGPA: 3.5-3.6
last 60: 3.5

GRE: V:148 Q:145 A: 3.5

-140 hours of observations (special needs school, private pediatric practice, nursing home/rehab center)
-2 years (2,000 + hours) of working at a special needs school. Assistant teacher/1:1 aide

Hi all!

I would be really happy if those of you attending Stanbridge's program now could share your thoughts on how you're liking the program?

I have an interview coming up next week. The program itself is fairly new, but pricy... so I wanted to know if current students are liking it / think it's worth it?

Thanks!