Standardized Patient Interactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperiorColliculus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how soon and how often do most schools integrate standardized patient interactions into their curriculum? If so, do you think it was beneficial come 3rd and 4th year or did you throw everything you learned out the window?

Members don't see this ad.

We started second semester of first year. I thought it helped for the PE. Not sure if it helped much with real life clinic, but I'm sure it did to some degree.

We have our first experience in about 6 weeks....so first semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At COMP we had SP encounters starting in the first two weeks.

While of course SP encounters are in some ways different from what you'll see with real patients, I feel that the early and frequent SP encounters were a very strong aspect of the school's preclinical education.

A lot of what we learned about history taking and physical exam skills have been highly useful for me on rotations so far. I would suggest supplementing your SP experience with volunteering at actual clinics during your first two years if possible so you can be aware of some of the differences between SP encounters and real patient encounters, though. The biggest difference for me was learning that with real patients you cannot always be as open-ended with the way you elicit a chief complaint because real patients will often have a whole list of responses to "is there anything else we can help you with today?".

Also don't stress out too much if you have difficulty with the fundoscopic exam at first. Almost everyone does.

Reactions: 1 users
Started 1st semester at ACOM, was eased in gently tho.

While I'm still in 2nd year, I believe it's great practice for the PE comlex and will be valuable to 3rd year

KCOM starts early with just history taking in the first couple weeks. Then as you start systems based curriculum, each SP encounter has 1 patient whose encounter is relevant to the most recently learned body system and its associated physical exam skills, and the other patient will have something from our previously learned skills (making you keep up on them).

TCOM was starting to do it at the end of 1st year and then twice in second before you went on to your clerkships -- it was repeated again before everyone went up to take the PE. It almost exactly mimic'd the PE when I was there. Really, they just wanted to get you used to doing a full physical exam in 25 minutes or less.

We started interacting with standardized patients our second week of medical school. Just simple stuff like doing interviews and getting some health history information. Definitely just easing us into it. We have to meet certain progress requirements at the end of every semester.

We started interacting with standardized patients our second week of medical school. Just simple stuff like doing interviews and getting some health history information. Definitely just easing us into it. We have to meet certain progress requirements at the end of every semester.

Just a word to the wise -- do NOT blow off the practice notes (H&P, SOAP, Progress, Discharge instructions, discharge summaries) they make you do in clinical medicine -- you will need to be able to do an admission in about 10-15 minutes, including the orders by the time you hit intern year (early in the year, maybe 30 minutes, at the end, 10-15 minutes) -- the way to do that is to practice and take feedback from your instructors -- also, when you start learning physical exam skills in Clin med -- most people used to bail on that as it was seen as wasted time since everyone had been to a doctor sometime in their life and knew WTF they were doing, right? Wrong --

In Clin Med -- take the time to read the book which offers a really simple, comprehensive way to examine each system, then go into clin med and practice those exams -- you're learning what normal sounds like since most of you have no pathology to speak of -- then have your classmate lie down on the table as if they were in a hospital bed and learn how to auscult lungs when you have to roll them onto each side, have them pretend to have a back injury so they can't be rolled and you have to slide your hand between them and the bed, etc. -- have the attending watch you and offer guidance and pointers -- get good now so when you hit 3rd year, you're a stud --

There's a real temptation to focus on board prep and blow off the practical education of being a physician figuring you'll learn it 3rd year on rotations -- that's plainly stupid and a waste of a valuable resource in the form of the attending who will answer your questions recognizing that you don't know jack -- Horse of a different color when you're standing there on wards as an intern and don't know jack -- bad juju

Same thing with musculoskeletal stuff -- There's a nutbag FM guy, Dr. Mann, who used to come in to teach Ortho exams -- he talks a mile a minute and has a Robin Williams type of personality -- great guy and good instructor -- pay attention and practice the exams -- get an ortho book and go over the exams while he's doing them and get a system down -- I can do a pretty comprehensive knee exam in about a minute but I trained myself to do it the same way every time and I write it in the note the same way every time with the exception of my findings ---

Also, don't forget Dr. Clearfield and Dr. Boone (seems odd to say that, he was there when I was there but I always liked Aaron) from the OMM department -- those guys are good and can teach you a lot....

We start SPs our second/third week of school. The first encounter is ridiculously easy though (take vitals and history) and is basically an automatic 100 if you show up and make some semblance of an effort.

We just had our first one, 2 weeks in. Another one coming up in the middle/end of September.