Stanford Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to Ohio State University-Columbus which, according to nearly all rankings I can find, is in the top 15-20
schools for undergraduate research in the country.
Stats:
Homeschooled (will that hurt me?)
Biology major
3.91 cGPA
3.91 sGPA
MCAT: ?

The following are my EC's:
-600 hours in biodynamics/sports health research.
-500 hours of hospital volunteer time.
-3 medical missions trips to Haiti, working as an EMT and shadowing doctors in their clinic.
-Will graduate with research distinction; completed and presented a personal research project on UCL injuries.
-500 volunteer hours as an EMT at a local fire and rescue squad.
-2000 hours as a tutor of high school autistic children; all subjects. (This was my job...so should I put this as an EC? Or will there be a place to make this known on an application? I have seen a lot of people on here say that tutoring looks good, but I don't want to look like an idiot putting 2k worth of hours as an EC.)
-100 hours volunteering at a Chinese summer school (in the U.S., if that isn't clear).
-President of a student club/organization.
-150 hours of shadowing orthopedic surgeons/radiologists.
-30 hours shadowing "flight nurses"; in other words, doing ride alongs with a helicopter ambulatory crew.
-Play piano and cello.

My dream school is Stanford, which I know is a sub 2% chance of getting in. However I do feel my EC's and GPA are competitive. NOW, I know I need to do well on my MCAT, like a 35 or above, but are there any Stanford med students or matriculants out there who can give me any insight as to my chances? Shall I spend the $200 on the application or no? Am I in the right forum here? If it seems I have a lot of volunteer hours, I took 2 years off between high school and college that gave me my volunteer time as an EMT and in the hospital. Essays will be no problem, I am a great writer and a first generation college student so I will emphasize that. Also, I worked 15-20 hours a week for nearly all my college career (part of the reason for that stupid B at a cc which did not transfer and I had to retake at the 4 year university). Sorry for the plethora of information and questions here, but if anyone out there is bored or feeling charitable, I would love some input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you planning on applying just to Stanford, or am I misunderstanding something? Your GPA and ECs look good, but you can't really gauge your chances until you have an MCAT score (and even with a great MCAT, it's still a crapshoot).

Also, why the obsession with Stanford? There are other fish in the sea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good if you score 35+ on the MCAT.
Average to not-so-good otherwise.

Your chances at any one school are always terrible. That is why most people apply to 15-20 schools. If you do well on the MCAT you will have a shot at Stanford but your chances will still be very poor.

Reactions: 1 users