Stanford is spitting out REJECTIONS already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin4Life

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some guy at the other premed discussion forum (i'm sure most of you know what forum I'm talking about) posted that he recieved a rejection letter from stanford. Somehow they've recieved enough info. to deny secondaries to some appicants.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new to this game....what other forum?

from what i understand, stanford screens pretty heavily. they only return secondaries to something like 50% of their AMCAS applicants. i knew *plenty* of people in college who went on to receive multiple acceptances at very good med schools but never even got a secondary from stanford. pretty harsh!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sandflea:
•from what i understand, stanford screens pretty heavily. they only return secondaries to something like 50% of their AMCAS applicants. i knew *plenty* of people in college who went on to receive multiple acceptances at very good med schools but never even got a secondary from stanford. pretty harsh!•

I think they send secondaries to even LESS than 50%.

Originally posted by Georgey:
•I'm new to this game....what other forum?•

Princeton Review, and trust me, you really don't want to go there. This is a much nicer place.

Yea Stanford is pretty harsh. I knew a guy with a 4.0 gpa, and 36 MCAT, who had Stanford as his dream school, yet he didn't even get an interview. Now that I think of it, I don't remember if he got a secondary.

Originally posted by Bruin4Life:
•Yea Stanford is pretty harsh. I knew a guy with a 4.0 gpa, and 36 MCAT, who had Stanford as his dream school, yet he didn't even get an interview. Now that I think of it, I don't remember if he got a secondary.•

If he had those scores, he should have gotten a secondary from Stanford. They do screen very heavily before they send out secondaries, using mainly the GPA and MCATs in that phase of the process. A 4.0 GPA and 36 MCATs would definitely get you a secondary. As far as Stanford having gotten some AMCAS files to look at, they have gotten very few. (less than 100). So there have been a few applicants who have received secondaries, and there have been a few that have been rejected. But the AMCAS transmission process is still a disaster, and Stanford's Dean of Admissions is *really* frustrated with them. I saw the applicant's message on the other site -- it looks like there was probably a mistake in the application transmission from AMCAS, because he really should have gotten a secondary with his/her scores.

As far as getting an interview at Stanford, they again screen very heavily (they only interview about 500 applicants). This is where they examine your extracurriculars and other activities. If an applicant has amazing scores and little else, I would not be surprised if they were not offered an interview. (But that's true at many other top schools as well).

Originally posted by Bruin4Life:
•Some guy at the other premed discussion forum (i'm sure most of you know what forum I'm talking about) posted that he recieved a rejection letter from stanford. Somehow they've recieved enough info. to deny secondaries to some appicants.•

yeah,i'm one of those sorry individuals. i actually felt bad a couple of days that they rejected me so soon, i know they are really hard to get into, but i thought i would at least get opportunity to fill out secondary, but at least they didn't make me spend the 100 or so bucks. mcat was 29O and 3.54 gpa.

my roommate had a 35S and a 3.8 GPA. He didn't receive a secondary from stanford, but then got accepted to Harvard, UCLA, Columbia, Hopkins, and Northwestern. he's going to harvard next year. so don't loose faith. stanford is one of the wackiest schools out there when it comes to admissions.