Stanford Oral Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTFOOMICT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://plasticsurgery.stanford.edu/education/oral-surgery-fellowship.html

Seems like rumor mill may be correct. Stanford is seeking fellows for oral surgery, which is presently under the department of plastic surgery. A stepping stone for finding faculty and increasing case load for a stand alone OMFS department perhaps? Anyone know anything interesting about it?

What do you guys think? If they ever go for a program and it's dual degree I can only imagine how ape**it people will go over the stanford MD. :laugh:

But hey, brings attention to OS at a premier medical institution. Bay area totally needs more oral surgeons also...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bay area totally needs more oral surgeons also...

This is all we need, another F'in OMFS residency opening. More residencies = more surgeons infiltrating the job market and saturating a very saturated area. I'm at school up in NE and looking into a 6 year program so this is great news for current dental students but heck we def don't need any more orms getting pumped out of programs.

Sorry I didn't answer your question or help in any way but I really needed to get that off my check when I heard about this...

This is all we need, another F'in OMFS residency opening. More residencies = more surgeons infiltrating the job market and saturating a very saturated area. I'm at school up in NE and looking into a 6 year program so this is great news for current dental students but heck we def don't need any more orms getting pumped out of programs.

I thought only orthodontists complained about this with all the new residencies opening to solve the acute "access to straight teeth" problem. Is this really an issue with OMS?

Members don't see this ad :)
no, saturation (right now) is not a problem like it is in ortho. for 2010 match, only 206 positions were filled, meaning no more than 200 or so new OMFS's are gonna get cranked out in 4-6 years. at best, a new stanford omfs program would add 4 to that number.

http://omfsource.com/match-results-oral-and-maxillofacial-surgery-2010#comment-4

and it doesn't really matter anyway since this Stanford program is a fellowship, so you'd have to finish OMFS res to even apply ("Applicants must meet the following criteria: Completion of an accredited Oral Surgery residency program by August 31, 2010.")

Last edited:
I'd guess that a lot of this fellowship is with the Sleep-Disorders Medicine department and is focused on telo/ortho-gnathic surgery for OSA since there are two guys at Stanford -- Robert Riley (ENT) and Nelson Powell (OMS & ENT) who are pretty well known in that field. It's a big leap to go from establishing a fellowship to a residency program.

It sounds like most of what they focus on is just an extra year of my OMFS residency. I am interested if they would post more details and caseload.

sounds like a scut monkey position to do the model surgery !!!

You've got to wonder about a "fellowship" that calls itself "oral surgery" and not oral and maxillofacial surgery. Kind of makes you think you are going to be shucking teeth for the physicians there and teaching GPR's.

When I was at Highland Hospital for an externship in the spring I was told there was some talk about UoP/Highland making 6 year positions available thru Stanford Med in the future. Not sure how far out or if this will for sure happen but I know there was at least some discussion about it. Pretty sure it would immediately jump to a quite competitive & highly desired 6 year program if it was successfully developed.

Reactions: 1 user