Stanford Universty ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermatoman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an MS1 and my wife really wants to end up the the bay area to be near her family. Any suggestions on getting into a residency (currently considering ENT) at stanford or UCSF?

Members don't see this ad.

Im an MS1 and my wife really wants to end up the the bay area to be near her family. Any suggestions on getting into a residency (currently considering ENT) at stanford or UCSF?
This thread is focused on the EM program there. We really aren't going to be able to give good advice re: ENT matching, other than trying to match to a single, very competitive area in an incredibly competitive specialty means the first thing on your plate should be absolutely destroying Step 1.

ENT at Stanford? Should be pretty easy to do...

Members don't see this ad :)
No guarantees in such a tough field. In general, a flawless academic record (including strong step 1) and solid productive research in the field is a start. Absolutely stellar letters from important people is another key factor. For such specific programs, you may want to do an away rotation at each and try to solidify a spot, though you can just as easily torpedo your chances (this probably happens a LOT more often than not).

Don't forget there are other bay area programs besides those two, so don't forget about Kaiser and I think there's another one but I can't remember it. UC Davis is also not TOO far from the Bay area.

There are no guarantees in the really competitive fields no matter how strong an applicant you are. Apply broadly, both within your desired area and without.

Reactions: 1 user

If you want to do ENT, you and your wife need to be comfortable with moving away for residency.

At this point, it's one of two or three most competitive specialties. Each program is tiny. It's really not the type of field where you can realistically set goals like, "I need to match to a program in this city." The people matching at UCSF and Stanford are the elite of the top 1% of students.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my attendings in residency did her residency there and a guy who is a chief there did med school at my residency. Bro it's just not that easy to name off a program and make it happen. I hope you are the next Jonas Johnson or something but realistically you need to just do well in med school and open your mind. Your wife will need to tough it out for a few years. You can end up there when done with residency. You want to guarantee Bay Area and you better be thinking peds or family.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my attendings in residency did her residency there and a guy who is a chief there did med school at my residency. Bro it's just not that easy to name off a program and make it happen. I hope you are the next Jonas Johnson or something but realistically you need to just do well in med school and open your mind. Your wife will need to tough it out for a few years. You can end up there when done with residency. You want to guarantee Bay Area and you better be thinking peds or family.

Might not be too tough...
How close/attached are you and your wife to your first-born son? Give that up, get 260+ on Step 1, cure tinnitus/vertigo/globus, and have Eugene Myers personally call on your behalf to the chairs there... and I think you have a pretty good shot at an interview. Probably not even worth considering other programs.

Reactions: 1 user

To increase your chances, be a superstar applicant- read the stickied thread at the top of the ENT forum on here and use that to guide you. Basically, everything he talks about in that thread, you want to be the best possible. Straight honors, amazing Step 1, multiple ENT publications, being well known/liked by your home department, interesting extracurriculars, etc. Do aways at Stanford and UCSF, though know that most students harm their chances rather than boost them. That being said, excellent students can and do secure spots at elite programs by wowing everyone during their away rotations.

Realistically, if you end up choosing ENT, the application process is too much of a crapshoot to reliably count on matching in a particular location, especially one as highly desired as the Bay area. Fortunately, residency lasts 5 years instead of forever, and you and your wife can move to wherever you like after you complete your training.

As someone who just went through it, I definitely underestimated how much of a crapshoot it could be, even for superstar applicants. There are just so many of them, especially applying to highly desired programs. Definitely cured any "special snowflake syndrome" I may have had!

You can check out otomatch.com to see past stats-interview experiences and rank lists, etc. You'll notice that while some lists are weighted toward stronger programs, none of them have all of them (and presumably they applied). I don't mean to scare you, but hopefully the feedback you're getting here will help you be prepared for what's ahead.

Odds are you won't get into either program.

That is not because you won't be qualified, but having seen quite a number of highly qualified student applicants over the years and knowing the caliber of just about every program in the country at this point, I can say that if you get into Otolaryngology, it probably won't be there.

Focus on being qualified to get a spot in any Otolaryngology residency.