staples or a sub q running stitch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Just wanted to get a quick idea and thinking of trying some different things.

For those that implant SCS and intrathecal pumps, do you guys prefer to close skin with staples or a sub cutaneous running stitch with monocryl?

Wanted to see if one is preferred over the other

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

2-0 viycryl pop offs intermittent for deep
3-0 moncryl running superficial
Dermabond superficial
4x4
Tegaderm

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sutures......You guys are so ancient Egypt.........Welcome to the 21st century:

a08.JPG
http://www.surgizip.com/ProductVideoManual.html

Video here: http://www.surgizip.com/ProductVideoManual.html

Kind of off topic. Do you guys place an On-Q pump for 5 days when doing perms or pumps?

So no ON-Q at all?

back incision: 3-0 vicryl sutures interrupted, running 4-0 monocryl suture for the skin, longitudinal steri-strips, Telfa, tegaderm

IPG or reservoir pockets: a few 2-0 vicryl sutures to reduce tension on the wound then 3-0 vicryl sutures and running 4-0 monocryl, longitudinal steri-strips, Telfa, tegaderm

Incisions heal beautifully.

No On q pumps for perms. I often inject exparel mixed with bupivacaine at each incision to help with postop analgesia though.

I use a pen. And I write "refer to dr. Surgeon." Implants not worth the time or headaches for me.

Reactions: 1 user
No way. It's sore for 2-3 days max.

Maybe consider leaving it in for less days?

back incision: 3-0 vicryl sutures interrupted, running 4-0 monocryl suture for the skin, longitudinal steri-strips, Telfa, tegaderm

IPG or reservoir pockets: a few 2-0 vicryl sutures to reduce tension on the wound then 3-0 vicryl sutures and running 4-0 monocryl, longitudinal steri-strips, Telfa, tegaderm

Incisions heal beautifully.

No On q pumps for perms. I often inject exparel mixed with bupivacaine at each incision to help with postop analgesia though.

I guess my thinking would be less chance of infection and longer postop analgesia?

Thanks all for the feedback.

i am reconsidering having surgeons do them all, with Nevro... if i did, would do some with surgeon and first, to reacquaint myself...

Deep 2-0 vicryl, staples, steri- strips dermabond. Take out after 5-7 days and more steri-strips. Cosmesis is good. Faster. Last I looked(admittedly awhile back) less infection risk.

Deep 2-0 vicryl, staples, steri- strips dermabond. Take out after 5-7 days and more steri-strips. Cosmesis is good. Faster. Last I looked(admittedly awhile back) less infection risk.
Staples, steris AND dermabond? Am I reading correctly?

So you are using dermabond over staples just to make watertight? Curious the order you are putting these various things on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

yes. but I space my staples out a bit with the steris in-between. Had a plastics friend suggest above.

yes. but I space my staples out a bit with the steris in-between. Had a plastics friend suggest above.
Interesting. Especially if you don't do a lot of implants and suturing slows the process down. You don't find that everything is glued together with dermabond making staple removal tough? Do you let them shower immediately post-op?

That was me. Infection risk directly related to length of surgery. Anything quicker was my motto. I have stopped doing implants so my technique isn't worth much.

Last edited: