Start PhD before MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LO281OK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got out of the Navy and I am going to apply to med school for entry in August 2006. I am also considering the MD/PhD route. As a back up I am looking at a PhD in Chemistry/Biochem, but I could also teach high school chemistry next year while I apply to med school. My question is this: should I go ahead and start the PhD program next august and if all goes well start med school the following august? I ask bc one of my professors mentioned that some med schools will require you to finish the PhD track before applying to their medical school, and it may leave a bad taste in the mouth of the PhD program that has made a place for you. Any help re: this is appreciated.

JP
http://www.Fly-Navy.com

Members don't see this ad.

LO281OK said:
I just got out of the Navy and I am going to apply to med school for entry in August 2006. I am also considering the MD/PhD route. As a back up I am looking at a PhD in Chemistry/Biochem, but I could also teach high school chemistry next year while I apply to med school. My question is this: should I go ahead and start the PhD program next august and if all goes well start med school the following august? I ask bc one of my professors mentioned that some med schools will require you to finish the PhD track before applying to their medical school, and it may leave a bad taste in the mouth of the PhD program that has made a place for you. Any help re: this is appreciated.

JP

If you know for sure that you want to do MD/PhD, then apply for a combined program. I tried to do what you described (transfer from straight PhD to MD/PhD) and they did agree to interview me, but the dean told me at the end of the day to finish my PhD and then reapply to med school. So that's what I'm doing.

LO281OK said:
My question is this: should I go ahead and start the PhD program next august and if all goes well start med school the following august?

No, dear God, no. If you want to get an MD, apply MD programs. If you want an MD/PhD then apply to MD/PhD programs. Do not try to game the system, for you will most likely lose out. Keep it simple and straightforward.

If you start a PhD somewhere then you will be stuck either A) finishing the PhD and then going to med school, which is a huge investment of time and money, B) transferring to the MD/PhD program at that particular institution, which is usually difficult to do.

I did my PhD before starting medical school and I'll say this: getting the PhD was far worse than the MD (which hasn't exactly been a picnic, either). My point is this: do not trifle with PhD training. It is not easy. Having a backup plan is good, but don't revert to it until you have run out of other options.

So I would recommend applying to MD-only and MD/PhD programs, and taking the best acceptance offer you get.

Oh, and one more thing. IMHO a minority of MD/PhD students really thrive, but they are the minority. If you are thinking of a combined degree as a way to slide through professional school training without any debt, rather than a way to become a physican-scientist, then you may be in for a rude awakening.