This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpham93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I used to be pre-med but now I'm not so sure. I've been pushing to be optimistic for the past few years, but looking at my trends and numbers, I believe it may be time to be realistic and change my career path as much as it pains me to do so. To what I don't even know. So, do I even have a chance anymore? And if I do, what do I need to do?

I had a bad first 2 years, and there's been only small upward trend since. I had an upward trend but ruined it by doing badly a semester while trying to work. I've quit my job since. It is expected that I am not applying this cycle to DO/MD, but I am currently applying to SMP (w/ little hope) and other post-bac programs. I might possibly work for a year - I'm not sure. I will be taking my MCAT again but the question is when with all these applications going on.

State: TX
Ethnicity: Asian
Undergraduate Insitution/Category: 4-year
cGPA: 2.93 with one semester left before graduation
_ did a calculation and I could get it above a 3.0 if I do really well.
MCAT: 26 (rushed studying in one month) but will re-take

As far as experience:
- 7 months working as a medical scribe in outpatient clinics
- 2 years of O-chem research with several presentations, possibly a paper underway (currently discussing the hold-up with my PI)
- 1 semester of research in interpersonal health communications (doctor/patient communication study in the oncology dept)
- 1 summer of shadowing hepatologists/GIs in their outpatient appts, meetings that discussed transplant patients, and their procedures. About 240 hours total. I also assisted in data retrieval for a clinical study

Please just give it to me straight guys.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/Asian_applicants.png
If you looked at the sticky above you can see that your stats don't make it onto the graph at this time (even with a 3.0). I don't know of a reputable SMP that will take you with that gpa.
Grade replacement and a DO strategy could still work for the future (especially if the MCAT doesn't improve significantly).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Theoretically you could retake the MCAT, do well, and possibly get into an MD SMP (the vast majority will take a pass due to your low GPA.) Though frankly your GPA doesn't inspire much confidence ATM. The smart thing to do would be to retake your classes, kill them, and retake the MCAT aiming for around a ~33. THEN you might have a chance for an MD SMP. The really smart thing to do would be to retake your classes and apply to DO schools, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The results of your MCAT retake will determine whether it is a possibility to pursue an MD SMP or if the focus should be on grade retakes and DO schools instead.

Grade replacement --> DO is the fastest, cheapest, easiest, and most reliable way for you to make it to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users