Starting a family during derm residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermgal17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best time to start a family during derm residency? What in your opinion are the pros/cons of first, second or third year? I know people say there is no such thing as a good time, but I would love to hear from those of you who've been there, or even from classmates of those with families. Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the camp that says it makes zero difference. If I had to pick a bad time, I would not want to be many months pregnant or with a newborn when preparing for boards... but that is purely a stress thing.

What is the best time to start a family during derm residency? What in your opinion are the pros/cons of first, second or third year? I know people say there is no such thing as a good time, but I would love to hear from those of you who've been there, or even from classmates of those with families. Thanks in advance...

Agree with above, I delivered just a few weeks before boards, that was NOT fun. I would go with 2nd year. You are still learning the ropes as a 1st year and don't want to mess with timing issues as a 3rd year

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above, I delivered just a few weeks before boards, that was NOT fun. I would go with 2nd year. You are still learning the ropes as a 1st year and don't want to mess with timing issues as a 3rd year

Thanks for the responses all. asmallchild, what do you mean by timing issues during 3rd year?

Is it just me or does it seem like most derm residents are unmarried and childless throughout the entire residency? I just want to make sure there's not some huge unsaid but understood message that derm isnt' friendly for ppl wanting families that i'm (as a student) missing...i understand that most residencies make it difficult to have a family during residency, but i also see that some (like family med) are almost encouraging of it (this is hearsay, but my fm friends tell me that their co-residents and even attendings actually volunteered to babysit) - which side does derm err more toward? i understand it's probably program and region-dependent as well.

Is it just me or does it seem like most derm residents are unmarried and childless throughout the entire residency? I just want to make sure there's not some huge unsaid but understood message that derm isnt' friendly for ppl wanting families that i'm (as a student) missing...i understand that most residencies make it difficult to have a family during residency, but i also see that some (like family med) are almost encouraging of it (this is hearsay, but my fm friends tell me that their co-residents and even attendings actually volunteered to babysit) - which side does derm err more toward? i understand it's probably program and region-dependent as well.

it's just you. of the few programs I know, a couple had several pregnant residents at once along with other residents who had young children.

Reactions: 1 user

Our home department is 90% either married or engaged and most of them already have children. Must be you.

Reactions: 1 user

This is program dependent. Most programs are on the family friendlier side. There are programs out there that have policies in place that can/will discourage starting a family during residency.

Reactions: 1 users
You will likely find that programs located in a metropolitan area tend to attract more single people

Definitely you. There are programs in which residents get pregnant and everyone is happy for them even if they'll be gone for 3 months on maternity leave. A lot of the response emanates from the top down and can change with new faculty in charge.