Starting a Neuro Critical Care Sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drnatty43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on what to read up on or do to excel?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are some other threads about this on the neuro forum. Do a search.

Overall depends on the program and the case mix. Some units are very neuromed heavy and you will need to be up on hemicrani for stroke, endovascular, and ICH managment. Others might see more trauma or SAH, or a heavier mix of medical comoribidities like sepsis, ARDS, AKI on CVVH, LVAD, etc. And some programs will only have you rotating on a service that manages one subset of problems. So you might want to ask first about the service you will be on before you brush up on a specific set of conditions to manage.

My specific advice is to not overdo it. Don't try to take on too many patients, don't try to outshine everyone else on the team. That goes double if it is an external rotation where you don't know the environment well. Take on what you can, and try to exceed expectations by knowing everything about your patients, minute-to-minute throughout the day. That's what your attendings are looking for, not covering six patients in a half-assed way.