Starting a residency in December?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LateRes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or knows of any programs that would allow me to start my residency in December? I am even willing to stay on until the following June so the program would not be down a resident the following December.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or knows of any programs that would allow me to start my residency in December? I am even willing to stay on until the following June so the program would not be down a resident the following December.
First, it would depend what residency you have applied to and if you are accepted. I know of several colleagues over the past years who began residencies in December. You're just required to continue to make up for the six months you've lost. Most programs begin July 1. Programs do allow late starts but, again, it depends on where you're accepted to a residency and what that Director allows.

First, it would depend what residency you have applied to and if you are accepted. I know of several colleagues over the past years who began residencies in December. You're just required to continue to make up for the six months you've lost. Most programs begin July 1. Programs do allow late starts but, again, it depends on where you're accepted to a residency and what that Director allows.

So I am graduating in December and was not able to apply to any programs. I do not mind staying in a residency for 18 months, my questions is if anyone has ever been in this situation, or if anyone has any advice for my situation. I understand that I can take the WREB and get a job but I would much rather be in a residency.

So I am graduating in December and was not able to apply to any programs. I do not mind staying in a residency for 18 months, my questions is if anyone has ever been in this situation, or if anyone has any advice for my situation. I understand that I can take the WREB and get a job but I would much rather be in a residency.
I actually graduated in December when I finished dental school. I was commissioned to the military at that time and entered March 1 of the new year. My advice would be to concentrate on passing a board. You really can't do much until you do this unless you consider a residency (which won't be afforded to you until July 1) or the military which allows you in and gives you a year to pass a board exam and obtain a license. If you otherwise have a special situation where a director of a program is allowing you to come in at this time, it may be a little too late. You have plenty of time to still prepare for so many things. Take a board, apply for jobs, apply for a residency. I hope my answer helps out. Do you still have a lot of clinical requirements to complete or classess to take before December?