Starting a rotation in the field where you want to match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithecanthropus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 starting my IM rotation next week, and I'm feeling stressed out about it because I want to match in IM. I know that IM isn't exceptionally competitive, but I want to do academic medicine, which I'm guessing is tougher than IM overall. It feels like my entire med school career hinges on one rotation because I'll need both a high grade (did pretty well on Step I, not so hot on the surgery and family medicine shelf exams I've had so far) and, ideally, some flattering comments +/- a letter from an attending. Plus the effect on the Department Chair letter I'll have to request down the road.

How did you deal with rotating in the specialty you wanted to match in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, as your first IM rotation you will not be expected to have an in-depth knowledge of IM. You will just be expected to show up, try hard, be excited to learn, be a team player, etc. So no need to stress unless your attending is an ass. As you know IM is not very difficult overall to match (though the tip top programs are tough to get) and being well liked by your team rather than your raw knowledge will be more important as a M3, in my opinion. If your attending is cool and you show interest and are a team player your letter and evals will likely be fine. As a M4 you would be expected to know a little more though honestly from my experience expectations are still not very high.

My advice for M3 year would be to take pocket medicine and really study it hard for your patients (obviously you'll also have to have other stuff for the shelf). Know the common diseases and treatments (e.g. HCAP, CHF decompensation, DM management, HTN management, reading basic EKGs, knowing how to apply lab results, etc). Again, from my experience it doesn't start to click and become more intuitive until after step 2 CK studying and then a sub-i and even some other rotations to give more perspective. Think big picture stuff first (getting the right dx) and then more detailed (getting the correct rx) and the work-flow dynamic between the two.

Overall I suggest not setting the bar too terribly high for yourself. And what I mean by that is that after your rotation you not be ready to function at the resident level. It takes many months of learning and practicing in only IM to start to get to that level and a 2 month M3 rotation will not do it. It probably takes most people several months of intern year to start to get "good".

Last edited:
A big thing to get established is expectations (both your expectations and your attending/resident expectations) EARLY on. Ask them what it takes to make the highest grade. Ask them every week where you stand and how to improve. Make it known that you are interested in an academic IM program.

A big thing to get established is expectations (both your expectations and your attending/resident expectations) EARLY on. Ask them what it takes to make the highest grade. Ask them every week where you stand and how to improve. Make it known that you are interested in an academic IM program.

Don't do this. You will sound annoying. Work hard, do whatever will make life easier for your team, don't complain (ever), look things up yourself before asking someone, don't be annoying, and don't forget to wear a big fat smile.

Don't do this. You will sound annoying. Work hard, do whatever will make life easier for your team, don't complain (ever), look things up yourself before asking someone, don't be annoying, and don't forget to wear a big fat smile.

Its worth a try. If you get a bad vibe, then obviously stop.

Its worth a try. If you get a bad vibe, then obviously stop.

No. It's a really stupid idea. It shows the people you work with that all you care about is getting a good grade and moving on. You will start out on a bad foot.

I'm going to be an intern soon so I understand how 3rd year goes. My feelings aren't going to be hurt that you don't like my field. However, there are things a student still needs to learn and one of those is learning to work with others as a team. And if a student comes out and clearly is selfish and has a poor attitude (such as "all I care about is my grade and all I want to do is get a good eval and then go home and study for the shelf") it will not fly well. So just show up on time, act interested, don't complain, and try hard and more times than not your team will like you leading to good evals.

2 things: know the information needed for that specialty & be nice/humble/smile.

I remember that for my IM rotations I used the NMS Internal Med book and did pretty well. No matter how nice you may seem, if you don't know the basic labs & tests to order, etc, then you won't get far...so make sure you are prepared before you starting your rotations at places where you want to eventually end up.

+1. And never ask to go home. Keep in mind a lot of residents know "is there anything else I can do?" asked at the end of the day means "can I go home?" So think about what you can do before, and if you can do it without asking, go do it.

And make sure to be a team player with not only your residents, but your fellow students. The residents really take note of how well the students work together, and you can all work well together and make one another look good, or not.