Starting again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srasoulimadani0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I already got my BA in social ecology from a good university and haven't been in school for about 2-3 years now. I haven't taken any science classes and just reapplied to take the required courses(and would it make a difference if i took these courses at a JR college since being a single mom i don't want to pay to go back to my university since it cost me a lot of money that i'm still paying back), i'm basically starting again. I'm a single mom now and have realized that my child needs a better future and i must return to school to achieve this for her. I don't remember my GPA to be honest but it was low, my question basically is if i take the required science course and take my OAT (lets say i do well it in) is there a chance to be able to get into an optometry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I already got my BA in social ecology from a good university and haven't been in school for about 2-3 years now. I haven't taken any science classes and just reapplied to take the required courses(and would it make a difference if i took these courses at a JR college since being a single mom i don't want to pay to go back to my university since it cost me a lot of money that i'm still paying back), i'm basically starting again. I'm a single mom now and have realized that my child needs a better future and i must return to school to achieve this for her. I don't remember my GPA to be honest but it was low, my question basically is if i take the required science course and take my OAT (lets say i do well it in) is there a chance to be able to get into an optometry school?

There is always a chance! However, it will make a difference if you take the courses at a junior college. It's okay if you take a few there, but not all. I would recommend taking your basics, you know intro to bio, chem, and physics, and just kind of play the field. And if you feel good about those courses move over to your old university and finish up with the advanced biology. You do have a chance to explain about your life, and about giving your kid a second chance in your personal statement when you apply. I think it is totally do-able if you just work to get that GPA up, and do well on your OAT! It's gonna be hard work, but if your committed like you seem it should work out :)