Starting at walgreens as a P5 intern.. Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anxiousone22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I worked with another chain for a year, then left them 4 months ago because of my pharmacist. Now, I will be going into my fifth year. I know that almost NOBODY hires a P-5 because we're considered "too old." I have rotations at a walgreens and the manager there likes me. He said he has a store that needs an intern. My question is if I start work with them now, do you think I could land a pharmacist position offer once I graduate? I feel as though they would offer those jobs to the interns who have been with them since they were p-2 or something... Not P-5 lol. Does anyone know if they care whether you've been with them 2 years vs more, or if it all depends on what type of an intern you are and if you impress them? Who decides who gets an offer? Just curious. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

They will hire the best candidates for the position of pharmacist. Longtime interns are sometimes passed over in favor recent interns, APPE interns or grads who never even worked for Walgreens. They may have benefitted from all the work done by an intern over a period of years, but there might be something that precludes a chain from hiring their own intern. It happens. If you like Wags, take the internship. Even if you don't like Wags the experience will help you when you interview with other companies.

Reactions: 1 user
what u got to lose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's a bit of a drive from my house, but I suppose the experience should help me land an interview elsewhere (eventually) even if they don't offer me a job on their own. Thanks :)

As long as you're not completely incompetent you should be offered a job after graduation. It's better to hire someone familiar with the company than someone brand new.

As long as you're not completely incompetent you should be offered a job after graduation. It's better to hire someone familiar with the company than someone brand new.
Funny username
You're right. That's what I was thinking but everyone keeps saying how there are barely any jobs left and how they aren't hiring as many new grads as before... So I thought if they were to hire/offer anyone a position, it would be one of the interns who have more experience

Good news!
Even if you're completely incompetent you have a shot.
We had a rotation student that my boss actively told the supervisor not to hire, as in, he couldn't even do tech work.
Now he's hired in a major metro district as a float.

Good news!
Even if you're completely incompetent you have a shot.
We had a rotation student that my boss actively told the supervisor not to hire, as in, he couldn't even do tech work.
Now he's hired in a major metro district as a float.
Was this a 6th year student looking for an intern position who ended up getting that and later a pharmacist position? I'm surprised lol.

I worked for two months during my P3 (as in, last year of an accelerated program) year and got hired. This was 2013. You're fine. :)