Starting intern year and chockful of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzamaster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start intern year and had a bunch of questions that I would really appreciate if you guys could answer.

1) I did not get a GI elective my intern year and I was wondering how big of a deal it was and if I should put up a big stink about not getting a GI elective my first year.

2) I was also wondering when you guys think is a good time to start looking for some GI research. I have heard differing things such as right when intern year begins in order to stick out and also six months into intern year. I also have no idea who I should be talking to in order to get research and have the best chance of getting good research whether it should be residents, fellows or attendings.

Thanks guy I really appreciate the help I feel intern year about to start and am already starting to panic.

TL;DR: When is a good time to get my GI elective and when should I start GI research

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to start intern year and had a bunch of questions that I would really appreciate if you guys could answer.

1) I did not get a GI elective my intern year and I was wondering how big of a deal it was and if I should put up a big stink about not getting a GI elective my first year.

2) I was also wondering when you guys think is a good time to start looking for some GI research. I have heard differing things such as right when intern year begins in order to stick out and also six months into intern year. I also have no idea who I should be talking to in order to get research and have the best chance of getting good research whether it should be residents, fellows or attendings.

Thanks guy I really appreciate the help I feel intern year about to start and am already starting to panic.

TL;DR: When is a good time to get my GI elective and when should I start GI research
The answer to both questions is the same. Whenever you can. You should NOT make a big deal about not having a GI elective as an intern. Did you specifically request it when the program first contacted you? You'll have plenty of contact with GI this year, even if you're not on their service.

As to who you should be talking to, the answer is everybody. Ask the GI fellows and attendings you run into, ask your seniors, ask your chiefs, ask your PD.

It is not a big deal if you don't do GI in your intern year. This might have been useful in the days that they used to apply in the 2nd year. Nowadays you apply in your third year...so you still have all second year o do GI electives. I personally am in favor of doing an elective (in your subspecialty of interest in the 2nd year) becos by then you know the system very well, have stronger knowledge base and you would have figured out the dynamics of the elective before you start.

The only "theoretical advantage" of having an elective in first year is that some people say it gives you an early exposure and you can continue to work with the department through out the year. I think it is a moot point. You can still show up at the department on day one and introduce yourself to them and start talking research projects.

Every residency and every intern is different. I typically recommend waiting 6 months out to start research becos the beginning of internship can be overwhelming and you really need the reputation of a great intern (clinician) to make your residency enjoyable