starting internship with..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOk1ng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii

I will be starting internship in july 2012 with only Sub-I in 4th year.
Rest were subspecialty rotations or non-IM rotations.

How do i prepare to overcome that disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Hii

at this point, either you know it or you dont

Hii

What disadvantage? That's what everyone does. If you want to convince yourself that you're preparing for intern year, go ahead and read a review book. Either start reading Currents (dense) or just review your Step 2 notes. nothing you do now will prepare you for what comes.

You will learn more in your first month of residency than you did in the entirety of fourth year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What disadvantage? That's what everyone does. If you want to convince yourself that you're preparing for intern year, go ahead and read a review book. Either start reading Currents (dense) or just review your Step 2 notes. nothing you do now will prepare you for what comes.

You will learn more in your first month of residency than you did in the entirety of fourth year.

This. Just enjoy 4th year while you can. You'll be well rested and ready to go come July 1 rather than being part-way burnt out before you even start.

don't be a freak yo. you'll be all right. there is no reason to "review anything," have your up-to-date, mass gen green pocket guide, and senior handy at all times.

You won't be at a disadvantage at all. Just relax and go with the flow. The residents and attendings realize it's your first couple of months.

Hii

Definitely better start freaking out...

Hii

I started intern year in June of 2011.

I hadn't pre rounded on one patient all through 4th year. I did all out patient and other stuff.

I took a year off between 3rd year and 4th year to do an MPH.

So starting intern year in June 2011 I hadn't done medicine or worked with in patients since January of 2009.

I have 2 months left and haven't had any problems...in fact, intern year has been not so bad tbh.

You'll be fine.

I started intern year in June of 2011.

I hadn't pre rounded on one patient all through 4th year. I did all out patient and other stuff.

I took a year off between 3rd year and 4th year to do an MPH.

So starting intern year in June 2011 I hadn't done medicine or worked with in patients since January of 2009.

I have 2 months left and haven't had any problems...in fact, intern year has been not so bad tbh.

You'll be fine.

As someone who will be starting internship this summer and has been "patient-free" for the past 2 months, this makes me feel a little better. Although, you're probably a genius so I should just ignore most of what you say since it won't apply to me anyways.

The interns that saw no patients and then failed out of residency are no longer here on sdn :)

As someone who will be starting internship this summer and has been "patient-free" for the past 2 months, this makes me feel a little better. Although, you're probably a genius so I should just ignore most of what you say since it won't apply to me anyways.

Not at all a genius. I was scoring low 80s on exams first and second year while ppl were consistently getting high 90's. Did really well on Step I but didn't totally rock it, did worse on step II than I.

It's a little bit about knowledge and a lot about being engaged and being truly concerned about patients, even if you don't know the exact thing to do for them without asking.

Just read House of God and you'll be fine. :D

don't be a freak yo. you'll be all right. there is no reason to "review anything," have your up-to-date, mass gen green pocket guide, and senior handy at all times.

or..."have your iphone and goodle handy at all times!" in the mean time relax and enjoy being done med school!