Starting my 7th year of practice. **ASK ME ANYTHING**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T00TH D0C

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little about me: 2009 grad that married his dental school sweetheart. Went into GP practice with my wife and are now entering our 7th year of practice.

Ask me anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
At what point did you make the transition to practice ownership?

In/under what conditions did you acquire the practice?

What type of procedures do you and your wife offer, find to be the most fulfilling or lucrative in your area, and/or refer out?

What has been your family's debt management strategy?

In your opinion, what area of focus in school will pay the greatest dividends for a dental student? Are you really glad you did something or wish you had done more/less of something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you suggest marrying a fellow dentist? :p

I mean, yeah, can't help who you fall in love with and all that... but like, given the choice I guess, would you prefer your wife be a dentist as well or would you prefer she had a different career?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hardest part of dental school?
Worst part of dental school?
Approximate range of startong salary (when or if you were an associate)

Thanks!

Debt upon graduation? How has that affected you and your wife's practice of dentistry/life in general? Curious about the associate --> ownership transition as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great questions guys. I'll answer the questions in order when we get on the plane, we are going on a family vacation to Key West and bringing our 9 month old. Send prayers

Reactions: 4 users
I'm also interested in how you and your family service your debt!

Also, please tell us a little about your practice, is it start-up/build-up or bought from someone? How many chairs? Do you feel that being new owner would still maintain the income flow like an associate's salary or would sacrifices need to be made for the long run?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. How was the learning curve in practice management?
2. What were the biggest obstacles or mistakes?
3. What are the sources of your patients? Referral? Advertisement? Word of mouth? What are the demographics?
4. Scope of practice? What procedures do you like the most and what do you avoid?
5. Did you ever think about specializing during dent school (or after)? Why or why not?

Thanks and have a safe trip!

1) why did you decide to go into private practice out of graduation?

2) did you buy out or start up?

3) how are the dynamics of working with someone you have a personal relationship with?

Thanks so much for this! A friend and myself have been talking about going into practice after graduation, but the lack of real world experience and the messiness of working with a friend worries me. But, I have no loans so the risk may be worth it.

1) What can you ignore during dental school?
2) How are most of your classmates doing, that you know of?
3) Do you have a prenup?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi. I will start dental school very soon. For right now, I will focus on D1. Sorry if they are random.
1) What are the best ways to make friends in first year?
2) What classes did you find most difficult and demanding? Which ones did you like the most and find most useful in the actual practice?
3) What times of the semester were you most socially active with your classmates? I mean going out to parties, etc.
4) How did you balance work and non-work related activities, given that first 1-2 years are most work demanding (in terms of non-clinical coursework).
5) Best way to cope with excessive stress and unfortunate events (i.e. bad grades)?
6) In preparing for private practice, specialty, etc after graduation, what are the best advices for networking (something I seriously need to improve on) and how to start?

Thanks a lot and enjoy the trip:)

Are you worried about dentist saturation? Any issues with getting/keeping enough patients in your area?